Faderfox 4midiloop controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Faderfox 4midiloop controller

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:19 am

http://4midiloop.bassdas.ch/en/

Designed for Traktor Pro

It's available in four colour schemes.
Last edited by oblique strategies on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

davepermen

Re: Faderfox 4midiloop controller

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:13 pm

that looks nice, but too expensive for me :(
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm

loving the quality of the Faderfoxes. They feel so well made and their formfactor is awesome.

But i am not sure about this thing - looks totally cramped, sure its got all the controlls you would ever need but the pots and buttons are extremely close together and i bet it would be a nightmare using this under low-light conditions. The price is also pretty extreme, even though the quality should be great as usual.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:21 pm

i like the cramped thing (but check the videos, it's actually really big, the pics might make it look worse than it is). and the price is understandable for handmade stuff. but yeah, still expensive.

then again, faderfox quality is always great. i'd love to see more from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8XpZFqKx8U (it really is big :))

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:56 pm

It has LEDs throughout to help with visibility in the dark.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Bad timing much?

Why would anyone buy this for over 1300€ instead of the S4 for 900€? 8O

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 pm

doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. but it does have dedicated controls for all 4 decks without the need to switch back and forth. also looks like it has controls for 4 fx sections. it's a nice piece of gear if you already have an interface to use it with.

2be

Post by 2be » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 pm

- overpriced
- competition delivers a better product for less money (S4)
- too much buttons and knobs! Hands-on control is good, but having every crap laid out on your controller is overkill

Not for me...

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 pm

djgroovy wrote:Bad timing much?

Why would anyone buy this for over 1300€ instead of the S4 for 900€? 8O
he actually produced it for himself, and got lots of requests. so now he builds according to those requests as needed. bad timing, yes, but he has already a customer base.

and personally, i would prefer this one over the s4 by much. the 4 decks all accessible, no stupid spinwheel taking up much space (as i only use the two buttons to speed up and slow down since years, wheels never replaced vinyl for me). it's essentially nearly twice the s4 in around half the space.

i just can't afford it. i understand the price, as it's handmade, and would love to get it. but right now? no. hope he still builds them when i have more money.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:23 pm

To each his own i guess.

But that is way too crammed for me, and could lead to a lot of potential mistakes in a live situation with poor lighting, etc.

Also for someone who wants to get into Traktor but doesn't have the software yet, you have to add the cost of traktor pro to fully take advantage of the controller, which means around 2 times the price of the S4, that comes with the software.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:38 pm

a starter should get a faderfox. this is the "ultimate" thing, not the "starter" thing.

i don't get the rantings about the price. handmade is always much more expensive than mass production. they can't beat NI in price in any way.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:52 pm

davepermen wrote:a starter should get a faderfox. this is the "ultimate" thing, not the "starter" thing.

i don't get the rantings about the price. handmade is always much more expensive than mass production. they can't beat NI in price in any way.
Fair enough, it's a "boutique" kind of thing.

S4 really appeals to me though, as i've been wanting to get Traktor... but even that is out of my price range right now lol :lol:
So i guess i'll get maybe Duo for now and try to make a template with the apc40.

Seadweller

Post by Seadweller » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:45 am

I think that quite a lot of people did not like at all the Native Instruments' approach when designing S4.
Come on guys, we already own a soundcard (many of them constructed by NI), we have traktor qwhy should we invest in a platform that would integrate hardware/software that we already own. In fact some of us were really pissed by NI's attitude. Clearly showed to care about bringing new customers to the filed than satisfying old customers who have bought and will continue to buy its products. NI made a clear decision.

Faderfox could be the answer!
It is EXACTLY what an owner of traktor would want now. But...what the hell happened with the price? Are they mad? iI would buy it if it was at least as "cheap" as S4... What were they thinking? It's a pity...

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:54 pm

^^^ I think you are absolutely wrong with your opinion of NI's attitude. If you are a mobile DJ and I'm assuming you are, you should care about mobility and the number of peripherals you have connected to your computer at once. In this sense, they've just reduced the amount of space needed in your bag by the size of an Audio 8 DJ. They also reduced the necessity for a full DJ mixer which usually isn't such a small item if you haven't noticed. Oh and don't forget you don't need to carry around turntables or CD decks anymore. Wow.. they just saved you, the unsatisfied "old" customer, a shitload of space and possibly strain on your back from carrying all that shit around to every gig. Now obviously people are going to use the S4 in different ways, but the most obvious is to just plug it in to the PA or directly into some powered monitors and start playing. So all of a sudden, the list of shit you need to DJ with is reduced tremendously to just 4 items... laptop, S4, speakers, and headphones. I think that would make a lot of "old" customers happy and the fact that the preorders pretty much accounted for the first shipment of these things proves that you are wrong. let's not forgot that forum posts are about 75-80% complaints most of the time. people that aren't complaining usually don't take the time to post about their experiences. maybe they'll make a controller-only version just for you. or you could just go buy the numark mixtrack and stfu.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:35 am

I had all the 'Live' Faderfoxes and used them on many gigs without any issue. Absolutely rock solid.

However it's a tough market nowadays and also they've gone Traktor so not so interesting for me.

Definitely quality though.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.