HOPING NEW APC40 IS NOT BROKE, HELP

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
pipelayer

HOPING NEW APC40 IS NOT BROKE, HELP

Post by pipelayer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:00 am

Just purchased the APC40 last night. Hooked it up and qucikly noticed the 9 volume faders were nice and firm when you slide them up and dowm. But the cross-fader hs practically no resistance. If I lightly brush against it with my finger it moves. It's almost as if it's connected to nothing. Is this the way that is should be or should it be just as firm as the volume faders? Do I need to return it for an exchange?

Thanks

outershpongolia

Re: HOPING NEW APC40 IS NOT BROKE, HELP

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 am

pipelayer wrote:Just purchased the APC40 last night. Hooked it up and qucikly noticed the 9 volume faders were nice and firm when you slide them up and dowm. But the cross-fader hs practically no resistance. If I lightly brush against it with my finger it moves. It's almost as if it's connected to nothing. Is this the way that is should be or should it be just as firm as the volume faders? Do I need to return it for an exchange?

Thanks
It's definitely not as firm as the others, it's not my favorite but I wouldn't know how a regular crossfader feels anyways.

We just sent one of our APC's in because the crossfader would go nuts in the software when we weren't even touching it, and it was impossible to get it all the way to either side because it would jump around unpredictably even when sliding it smoothly :?

madlab

Post by madlab » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 am

ShelLuser wrote:Its not broke and by design; crossfader is indeed very light.

You could consider replacing it since the APC was build with that in mind. The crossfader is said to be a separate component which you should be easily removable and replaced. They anticipated that this critter would be heavily and roughly used.
Maybe it could have been stiffer when it comes out the akai factory then...
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 am

I don't think so, Crossfaders are meant to be that way. A stiffer fader feels cludgy and makes it difficult to cut in audio at the right time, sure they lend themselves to slower transitions, but so does a steady hand. You'll get used to it, and I'm sure realize the benefits too :)

pipelayer

Post by pipelayer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Whew! Thanks guys... hate to go through the new nroke and have to return unit hing. It's really troubling. Now if i can just figure out how to scroll left and right and up and down in arrangement view.

Thanks for everything! I like this forum already!! :D

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:24 pm

[quote="pipelayer"]Now if i can just figure out how to scroll left and right and up and down in arrangement view./quote]

If you're trying to do this from the APC40 itself, get ready to throw more money at it! or at least some timeee programming that

pipelayer

Post by pipelayer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Well I would like to have had it included, seems like and obvious requirement. Do you know if NativeKONTROL offers a soluiton for this inadaquacy?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm

pipelayer wrote:Well I would like to have had it included, seems like and obvious requirement. Do you know if NativeKONTROL offers a soluiton for this inadaquacy?
it definitely scrolls left and right in Session view, in order to scroll in arrangement view you'll need something like nativeKONTROL or something to translate MIDI into keystrokes,blah blah balh