Adjusting volume automation for every track.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digable Dialogue

Adjusting volume automation for every track.

Post by Digable Dialogue » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 am

I make many track volume automation changes as I'm creating new music before I mix it. Snare rolls, custom fades, whatever. Big problem with that is then I can't change the track volume in the post production mixing process without deactivating my production volume automation. I mean, how can I do track mixing on the track fader without negating my track volume automation?

It's as if I make a song, write or perform my volume automation and then have to change it track by track. I tried highlighting all the track for all the audio regions, then changing the automation in a group selection, but no, it only changes that individual track still.

How do I mix after making a ton of track volume automation?

Get back,

D
Human Agency - humanagency.bandcamp.com

davepermen

Re: Adjusting volume automation for every track.

Post by davepermen » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am

which is why you should not do volume automation except for the actual mixing.

to fix it if already done: if you don't have track-groups, group the tracks to get a "secondary" volume. if needed, individually.

to prevent it: use utility or similar on a track for the musical non-mixing automation.

i think that's about it? anyone else?
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:56 am

mmm... you mean if I automate my volumes a lot, when its time to output the track and I want to lower all the volumes to -6db, the automated tracks are not going to like it?

I'll have to be careful about it in the future, I often do just that.

Digable Dialogue

Post by Digable Dialogue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 am

davepermen wrote:which is why you should not do volume automation except for the actual mixing.

to fix it if already done: if you don't have track-groups, group the tracks to get a "secondary" volume. if needed, individually.

to prevent it: use utility or similar on a track for the musical non-mixing automation.

i think that's about it? anyone else?
The thing about telling Ableton users to not automate volume pre final mix is, it's asking us to be limited like it's analog console mixing again. This is digital audio, volume automation shouldn't be limited to the the final mix process with modern DAWs. It's why we involve ourselves with digital audio.

All we need is one, or both of two possible solutions. One, changing the track volume should also change the over all track volume automation relatively. Two, Ableton should at least show you the volume automation dB level as you drag it up or down. You have to guess you dB level as you change it. Unsung problem.

Fix it Ableton. I still think you're neat though.

...the Utility track prevention idea is genius though.
Human Agency - humanagency.bandcamp.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am

davepermen wrote:which is why you should not do volume automation except for the actual mixing.
says who? just because ableton live cant deal with it? pfff..

best way to mix with ableton live is to dont mix with it..

rewire it into logic or protools or another big daw for mix down and enjoy automation with trim..

or insert utility pugs for the level adustment of the whole automated track
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:15 am

Digable Dialogue wrote: The thing about telling Ableton users to not automate volume pre final mix is, it's asking us to be limited like it's analog console mixing again.

what are you talking about? analog console mixing is not limited.. atually the best you can do to your boxi ableton sound..

and i wonder what kind of fancy music you guys are doing that you need s much automation..

filmscores with 98 tracks?

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes 3phase.
I was working on the Avatar soundtrack, and we had 150 tracks. And also for Terminator Salvasion, I remember 169 tracks. Lots of automation especialy on strings.
And the new Daft Punk tracks for Tron. Lots of automation again even if it's very smooth and not noticable.

I used the utility Plug to do all my automations in those soundtracks and there was never a problem.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Yes 3phase.
I was working on the Avatar soundtrack, and we had 150 tracks. And also for Terminator Salvasion, I remember 169 tracks. Lots of automation especialy on strings.
And the new Daft Punk tracks for Tron. Lots of automation again even if it's very smooth and not noticable.

I used the utility Plug to do all my automations in those soundtracks and there was never a problem.

you was working on theese soundtracks with ableton live? really? wow ..thats a first timer... and daftpunk delivred tracks you was mixing with ableton live to the score? the movie tron mixed in the box and not on a harrison and that in ableton live?

really? ableton would pay a fortune for that advertizement possebility.. it just would need some proof because it sounds so unbelivable.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:08 pm

funken wrote:use the utility to record fades etc, so it leaves the track volume free for mixing

the quicker way is to record your automation with the fader..and use the utility plug for trimming.. as a relative level adjust for the whole automated track...

however the other way around funken is mentoning can give more comfort when you do a special fx rack with the utility plug.. because you need to be able to fade to silence.. what is actually possible by doing a fade with 2 utility plugs in series and applying a mute at the end. so down to -70 db and than mute.. with the chains you could teoretical have diferent automations you can switch in between..

but this all with a lot of setuptime.. a clear work around.. a trim function is missing where on can use the faders with theire automations and apply a new trim automation on top.. also automation off is missing badly.. while the trim can be a global function that applys to all tracks on one runoff the autoamtion off would needed on the individual channels..
however.. this is an other argument for doing it with an utility plug ..just bypass it..automation gone..

but ok..you cant have everything..

would be however handy when the utility plug would have 2 switchable ranges.. on as it is for legacy reasons ...and one that can go to -inf

mdev

Post by mdev » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:49 am

Absolutely no answers and a bunch of un needed talk.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:03 am

Hmmm. Joins in 2009, posts first in 2015 in a 5 year old thread and misses BOTH valid solutions in Post 2.

[Obligatory Fry Meme Missing]

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 pm

at least we got a 3phase revival :)
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

lekke

Post by lekke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:09 pm

add "Utility" and use it for volume automation, or automate the instrument volume/output knob. the you can use the track faders without a problem.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:59 am

lekke wrote:add "Utility" and use it for volume automation, or automate the instrument volume/output knob. the you can use the track faders without a problem.
Yup utility is one way
Or a compressor with no compression and use the output gain
Or an fx rack with only 1 chain and automate its volume
There is a way out there for you!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:19 am

3phase wrote: insert utility pugs for the level adustment of the whole automated track
Which is much cheaper than buying and learning another DAW. Obviously Ableton should address this ASAP. Have anyone even filed a bug or are you all just routing around the problem, somewhat like I do with FreeG (excellent)?
Make some music!