This forum needs to be more like a DAW

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

This forum needs to be more like a DAW

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 am

Here, I solved it! (on paper)

Since Ableton is primarily a computer music machine developer they need to take some of those same concepts and apply it to the forum by adding track controls under each posters name in a thread.

MUTE - click it and it removes that member's postings from your view, and get this shit, it has a global toggle so you can either remove their postings from just the thread you are reading or the entire board. Once they've been muted they'll populate another page where all your muted members are and you can unmute them if you choose.

VOLUME - adjust the text size and boldness of members you want to pay attention to and ignore other static without going to the extreme of muting everybody else.

SOLO - Do I really have to explain how this would work? Of course you can solo more than one member in a conversation, but don't ask me the logistics because once you solo one member all the rest of the members would disappear. Wait, I fucking got it. You can solo a member but changes won't take place until you hit a global solo button at the bottom of the page. That way you can solo multiple members first.

PAN - what purpose would pan have in this context? Stupid.

Another brilliant idea that neither earns a company money or saves them money. So it will never happen.

Angstrom

Re: This forum needs to be more like a DAW

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:42 am

this idea is both genius and unworkable insanity.

You should get a medal and be institutionalised

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:50 am

Good idea!
Because Whatever.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:10 am

Angstrom wrote:this idea is both genius and unworkable insanity.

I know squat about web development but I think for starters it would have to be more dynamic like gmail so changes could take place without hitting refresh.

I'm going to go eat a shoe now.

Poop_Smear

Post by Poop_Smear » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 am

Angstrom wrote:this idea is both genius and unworkable insanity.

Agreed. 'beats me' is my new hero. :wink:
Uncle Meat

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 am

Did he mention this modified forum would only be viewable if you own M4L?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 am

squelcht wrote:Did he mention this modified forum would only be viewable if you own M4L?
and you still can't record automation into clips :?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm

will the reverb suck?

i agree with Angstrom but if it happens i hope that squelcht is right. that way we don't have to read threads about people leaving if we don't own M4L - i'm in the clear.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Agreed that this is a great idea - and with Max for Live, you can have the threads rearrange algorithmically at a random interval.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 pm

David Abravanel wrote:Agreed that this is a great idea
:)
- and with Max for Live, you can have the threads rearrange algorithmically at a random interval.
:x

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 pm

so we would have thread view, to allow the threads to show as they are connected together and ment to be, and clip view, where each post of each user is on it's own, and we can trigger and record to create own threads?

but yeah, the original idea is actually cool.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

rote fahne

Post by rote fahne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:41 pm

beats me wrote:MUTE - click it and it removes that member's postings from your view, and get this shit, it has a global toggle so you can either remove their postings from just the thread you are reading or the entire board. Once they've been muted they'll populate another page where all your muted members are and you can unmute them if you choose.
Nothing new there. Been member on a small forum with 20 members, for a couple of years.

Located in San Fransisco. Loads of fun we had. But then Demucrats started to fight with Repooblicans, you had to write it that way to avoid the word censor. Was about Polutics.

Anyways, the mods decided to built in a so called "ignore-option". You could open a panel with all the members and check those you didnt want to see their posting.

It was not clear who had put who on his ignore list, so it really became a riddle.

Then for some reason it didnt work, cause when you read a thread, and say, a certain mr. X, say mr. Syrncho, you had put on ignore, posts a reply in that very thread, you still want to see what that person had posted, even if you were about 100 percent sure it would be something like "this", or "this".

But again, it was fun.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 pm

I think it needs to be more like a glory hole.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 pm

This thread started out mildly entertaining, but quickly (and predictably) turned waaaaay too geeky the minute someone mentioned Max for Live.