Ableton Suicide - So This is Goodbye...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Ableton Suicide - So This is Goodbye...

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Meh, I can't take some goof ball that posts BS platform crap all day long seriously at all.
I like gay people, I get sick of people bashing on gays for their humor, mainly sick of people who won't bash on anything else, who think gays are a safe thing to be queasy / post queasy humor about. I don't remember having a conversation with you about it, are you the guy who was acting gay for a while? That would fit in with all your other awesome humor topics like OS platform and sigs for sure. :roll:

martinkellogs

Post by martinkellogs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:14 pm

thursday
Last edited by martinkellogs on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:42 pm

OK you've proven yourself to be as big of an attention whore as OP, congrats.
I'll stop feeding you now. :wink:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Where was this amazing forum people speak of and when exactly did it 'disappear'. The only convincing thing I can determine is that once upon a time, Ableton gave freebie prizes to stimulate some contests, which they are 'too high and mighty' to do now (they only give away sample packs instead, etc).

I've been here over 4 years and it barely seems any different, the main difference is the segregation of the music production and 'the lounge' which makes sense to me anyway.

Sure, some interesting people have come and gone, but that kind of change happens in all walks of life and forums.

I understand there seems to be a bit of a malaise with Live and the forum, seemingly through the product being not as 'cool' as it was 4 years ago, with the likes of Maschine and IPad apps being the shiny new toys (and less presence from Ableton staff on the forums in a cool, friendly way) and some people seem to be outraged that there is a (very low level) of moderation going on. Beyond this, what is it that you're missing?
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

auto-lock

Post by auto-lock » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 pm

cosmosuave wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVUI6hXr ... AD&index=8

6 years spent on this forum and for the most part it is was fun to be here meet some cool people was able to joke around harass (b0unce) and still get along... One memorable thing was when I first joined was the [http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ptopalooza]Laptopalooza[/http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ptopalooza] event that was organized by members on this board and help from Abe HQ with swag... Having Neb at my house for dinner was great and also making other connections on here that allowed me to play at Beats Breaks & Culture...

The past year the place has gone to the shit (this) and now it is time to say good bye... Enjoy the vid...
peace bro, i dont blame you...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Where was this amazing forum people speak of and when exactly did it 'disappear'. The only convincing thing I can determine is that once upon a time, Ableton gave freebie prizes to stimulate some contests, which they are 'too high and mighty' to do now (they only give away sample packs instead, etc).

I've been here over 4 years and it barely seems any different, the main difference is the segregation of the music production and 'the lounge' which makes sense to me anyway.

Sure, some interesting people have come and gone, but that kind of change happens in all walks of life and forums.

I understand there seems to be a bit of a malaise with Live and the forum, seemingly through the product being not as 'cool' as it was 4 years ago, with the likes of Maschine and IPad apps being the shiny new toys (and less presence from Ableton staff on the forums in a cool, friendly way) and some people seem to be outraged that there is a (very low level) of moderation going on. Beyond this, what is it that you're missing?

i'm betting that the difference is that 4 years ago people weren't making I'm leaving so mourn my loss threads while they dabbled on before finally ceasing to log in....

back then they probably just left and then came back with alter nicks.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

rozling

Post by rozling » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Where was this amazing forum people speak of and when exactly did it 'disappear'.
A magical place called 'General' where one could frolic among like-minded freaks (and more importantly not so like-minded) and not be shouted down, cursed at, trolled with 'shock' images & insulted.

Behold, a Christmas Past - there was probably a little lighthearted trolling yes, but even b0unce was on topic. Knotkranky was fairly active, a knowledgeable bloke (you know he worked with Jacko right? Stopped posting in January). Sweetjesus had an interesting looking link for DIY preamps (relevant to my own interests at the moment, wouldn't have a place in Music & Audio Production or the Lounge these days. Well maybe in M&AP but I wouldn't come here expect anything like it now). Hambone1 seemed to have mastered his own niche, & is gone from the forum since Feb '09 apparently (didn't think it was that long), and there existed two entire mac threads without fanboyism, tired (even in '06) insults or djsynchro

This was when General was the Lounge.

There used to be a few names that were consistently good posters and interesting people, and they all seem to be gone :( I agree that's life etc but I think it's a shame we've lost a lot of the interesting ones and I think it's important to recognise their value. Otherwise what's the bloody point?

It's the people that make the community (nearly just got sick in my mouth) and I think some kinds of people will always manifest their need for attention by posting as in every. single. topic in as annoying/abrasive a manner as they possibly can. The solution?

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Or just neuter them with crowdsourced moderation aka the Digg-style voting I mentioned in another thread.

@ DJsynchro while we're reminiscing you made one of the first Autohotkey scripts which inspired me to build on & was awesome (and I know from the download stats was used by an awful lot of people). So there is/was a bit of respect there but I have to say you've been shitting on the forum for an awfully long time now... god at least TITBAGs had a sense of humour.

Oh and for further examples of what this forum used to be/could be here's a few threads I keep around:
What improves creativity for you?
Are you making really great music?
If you had to limit your setup to live + 10 vsts
years go by, I still hardly understand compressors
What Pieces of Hardware Will Be Classics in 5/10 years?
why we listen

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

^ knotkranky was 8)

i did like the General scene better, but it seems to me that all these dudes that have been dramatically exiting lately are the same ones who went ape shit when The Lounge was formed... many of those who started talking smack and rejoicing about it are now among the same souls complaining about it and exiting stage left (with full light show).
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 am

There has always been times when the forums have had people arguing about stupid shit in on topic threads.
There have always been posters that troll or spam threads to try to derail them.
I have to admit I liked the general anarchy of the General forum, but it's not any different if you hit View New Posts instead of going for a specific thread. 8) Occasionally there is more moderation, and some people spam threads for no good reason, but that's no different than before.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 am

H20nly wrote:^ knotkranky was 8)

i did like the General scene better, but it seems to me that all these dudes that have been dramatically exiting lately are the same ones who went ape shit when The Lounge was formed... many of those who started talking smack and rejoicing about it are now among the same souls complaining about it and exiting stage left (with full light show).

Wow, totally forgot about that dude. 8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:12 am

I liked Knotkranky too, knowledgeable and he was respectful even in disagreement. Hambone was an interesting guy, with his regular postings on live performance with video etc. Who knows, maybe those guys have just been too busy with work, and may post again in future - I certainly don't remember either of them giving an 'Oscar winning' exit speech, which seems to be fashionable for certain departees right now.

There have been interesting people who have come into the Music Production and Lounge since though, (not wishing to name any names and be accused of being an a$$kisser).

But really, much of what Rozling pointed out (good points and links BTW) is still happening to a degree, it's just seperated into (mostly) the Music Production forum instead of General, as far as I can tell.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Poop_Smear

Post by Poop_Smear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:42 am

All of this speak about exiting and moaning and tearful departures is sooo borish....it's been happening on web forums from coast to coast ever since, uh, ehrrr....Al Gore invented the internet. Anyhow, I for one personally really dig a good hot fart. 'Nuff said. :o
Uncle Meat

malutki

Post by malutki » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm going home

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Down off my little soap box now...
Machinesworking wrote:Occasionally there is more moderation, and some people spam threads for no good reason, but that's no different than before.
IMO impassive moderation has its place. When we drive along a road we trust that oncoming cars won't swerve into us; I think we've proven we can't be trusted when it comes to sticking to the modest rules given unto us by the Able Ones so I'm all in favour of having someone there to prevent the yung 'uns from stumbling across multiple cocks/deathpics etc (still borderline on cosmo's exit pic myself).
leedsquietman wrote:I liked Knotkranky too, knowledgeable and he was respectful even in disagreement. Hambone was an interesting guy, with his regular postings on live performance with video etc. Who knows, maybe those guys have just been too busy with work, and may post again in future - I certainly don't remember either of them giving an 'Oscar winning' exit speech, which seems to be fashionable for certain departees right now.

There have been interesting people who have come into the Music Production and Lounge since though, (not wishing to name any names and be accused of being an a$$kisser).

But really, much of what Rozling pointed out (good points and links BTW) is still happening to a degree, it's just seperated into (mostly) the Music Production forum instead of General, as far as I can tell.
Definitely not trying to speak for any of the people I mentioned, just giving an example of how the General forum was in a different time (Christmas popped into the head - I'm fairly sure there aren't releases etc then) & how maybe there was just a higher concentration of Good Stuff on here.

Also not trying to say there are no interesting posters anymore, just that it's more difficult to find them (point taken re New Posts machinesworking - think I'll try that for a while). I do like that M&AP has got slimmer & it's easier to talk shop - I was looking forward to Lounge being a more distilled form of the OT community that was on General but it seemed to go the opposite way.

Just to mention that I wanted to edit my previous post but didn't want to add to the drama. Fudge it: the edit was that I didn't mean to say 'there was no DJSynchro & it was all great', I meant there was none of a certain marketing catchprase in the mac threads/every thread.

There's a lot of drama queening going on but I think people are more valuable than they think (that's what I was trying to show with the links) & hope nobody else commits Forum Hara Kiri (although it does sell popcorn :D ). Interesting people are interesting - no need to quit/be banned. We all know you'll be back in a month anyway!

tl;dr light moderation good, many users past & present awesome, room for more awesomeness

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 pm

malutki wrote:
thanks man, these are nice!
Was thinking for a while of doing a favourite thread thread (like the ultimate tips & tricks but more for interesting conversations) - this would be what a mini version would look like I suppose :)