The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Resource Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RajahP

Re: The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Resource Thread

Post by RajahP » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Frederik654 wrote:
RajahP wrote:Image

Looks like Catanya for the IPAD

http://laurentcolson.com/steppolyarp.html
Yeah but you can't shorten the pattern lenght and I need to find a way to delete a block ?! You can only move them on top of another one to get rid of it.. it's not perfect, :(

Did you look at this video at 1.17... It shows him deleting blocks (looks like a 'down-stroke')... Don't have an IPan as of yet... But these are the apps that I am most interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VdFLYCWSjg#!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Hm, a DJ app that will actually work like existing DJ applications.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/17/upc ... -features/

About friggen time.

bridgealantee

Post by bridgealantee » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:26 am

beats me wrote:Hm, a DJ app that will actually work like existing DJ applications.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/17/upc ... -features/

About friggen time.

Once the new ipad os comes out I bet (hope!) that sonorasaurus rex will incorporate reading from your ipad library. I think this app doesn't look to great they are just the first to advertise these new features. Could be wrong, either way I'm stoked for that new o.s.

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Ok, iOS 4.2 is here.. What are the benifits for music apps?

http://www.apple.com/ios/

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:48 pm

RajahP wrote:Ok, iOS 4.2 is here.. What are the benifits for music apps?

http://www.apple.com/ios/
errrr.... MIDI !
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/11/on-ipad-midi/

Also, on a personal level, airplay from iPhone/iPad. Useful for many reasons, but mostly for letting various friends DJ up a few tunes from their pockets at my house when we get together.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:19 pm

Core MIDI on iOS 4.2 should work just as Core MIDI does on Mac OS X, meaning that your iDevice running iOS 4.2 will communicate with other MIDI compatible devices and hardware via USB (using the iPad's camera connection kit USB adapter) or WiFi, using Apple's own MIDI APIs.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey guys. id like to record my voice while im listening to my tracks, "on the go" with the iPhone. To capture ideas to my Live daw projects.

Any easy go-good recommendations?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:01 pm

The new Djay app for the iPad came out today. Any buyers or experience? Looks interesting.

http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm

beats me wrote:The new Djay app for the iPad came out today. Any buyers or experience? Looks interesting.
If your going to cue with a headset, your output becomes mono. And that's with all iOS DJ apps, until Apple allows multiple audio outputs. But you could use 2 iDevices as 2 decks + a DJ mixer: problem solved.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:01 pm

ze2be wrote:
beats me wrote:The new Djay app for the iPad came out today. Any buyers or experience? Looks interesting.
If your going to cue with a headset, your output becomes mono. And that's with all iOS DJ apps, until Apple allows multiple audio outputs. But you could use 2 iDevices as 2 decks + a DJ mixer: problem solved.
I'm wondering how AirPlay enters into this, if at all. Airplay the main out and then use the iPad hardware out for cue. That would be dope.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:20 pm

beats me wrote:I'm wondering how AirPlay enters into this, if at all. Airplay the main out and then use the iPad hardware out for cue. That would be dope.
I think the limitation is in the system. That only 1 stereo pair can be streamed between apps.. But I dont know.. Good idea though!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:39 pm

ze2be wrote:
beats me wrote:I'm wondering how AirPlay enters into this, if at all. Airplay the main out and then use the iPad hardware out for cue. That would be dope.
I think the limitation is in the system. That only 1 stereo pair can be streamed between apps.. But I dont know.. Good idea though!
I think from Apple's perspective that's a highly specific use and at the mo I can't think of any other time somebody would want to have one source of audio AirPlaying from the idevice while another source of audio is playing on the idevice so at this point it may not be something Apple even wants to implement….yet.

Another future purpose might be for online gaming, like the video and audio airstreams to a TV while talk back between players happens on the idevice.

Who knows.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:48 am

beats me wrote:I think from Apple's perspective that's a highly specific use and at the mo I can't think of any other time somebody would want to have one source of audio AirPlaying from the idevice while another source of audio is playing on the idevice so at this point it may not be something Apple even wants to implement….yet.

Another future purpose might be for online gaming, like the video and audio airstreams to a TV while talk back between players happens on the idevice.

Who knows.
They claim iOS is based on the full OSX, witch is made from Unix. So I dont think it will be hard for them to implement if they wanted to. Fingers crossed.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 pm

So I got the Djay app and it's pretty slick. Graphically it looks great, especially like how it puts the track artwork on the spinning vinyl and the deck arms move closer to the center as the track goes along. The beat matching and syncing are decent as well as scratching but I'm no turntablist. I like how you can grab tracks from your itunes collection stored on the iPad and just as importantly reads whatever formats iTunes reads, no need to convert to mp3 or wav…unlike Live and Traktor.

Things I don't really like are the gain/faders are at the top corners instead of in the middle above the cross fader. Also for the EQs you have to open separate pop over windows instead of having them instantly accessible on the main interface. Tapping in the wave form does make it instantly jump to that point in the song but it isn't always in sync with the other track and the graphic is way too small to do any kind of perfect drop in. At best you just see the points where there's a break down or build up in the track to estimate, can't really judge if the beat is already slamming but want to get to where the track is really meaty. Also the track starts playing as soon as you drop it in and it does some brief analysis and buffering, might be able to change that behavior in the preferences though.

I didn't get a chance yet to mess with it's automix capabilities but I don't think that is something people on here would be interested in. But given my brief experience with manually mixing I don't think I would really trust it to mix everything spot on without my help.

Overall I still like it and I think it has promise. It's a good basic start and I hope they keep adding new features like effects, loop, and multiple cue points. I'm also curious to see how it works with the splitter cable that allows you to cue with headphones, but as of now you can't buy the splitter in the states.

At this point it's a few notches above toy status.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 pm

beats me wrote:
Just32 wrote:What u guys prefer? TouchAble or Griid?
Griid is just a clip launcher unless they did some vast upgrade I'm not aware of.

Griid update coming up!!!

Can't wait to see this one get out there and see what people do with it! You guys won't believe this one when you see it. Trust me. :wink:

A little clue on our Facebook page...

Coming... very... soon...