APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
S4racen

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:22 pm

No worries, most popular question i believe!!

Anything else just let me know, you'll find me on here or twitter.....

Cheers
D

lanmancz

Post by lanmancz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey,
I just purchased APC40 and I'd like to ask how to rewrite the original MIDI Remote Script for APC40 to set the CUE LEVEL knob to act as scene navigation (the red box:-)) buttons UP&DOWN (for example Vestax VCM600 has a similar function for one knob I believe - turning the knob left would be as if i pressed the UP button and turning the knob right would be as if i pressed the DOWN button). I really don't need to change my cue level that often to waste a knob on that function so I'd like to remap it as a navigation knob because it would be a better use for it. Is is possible to do this ? I already decompiled the pyc files and did some minor changes to them (I changed the color of playing buttons from green to red - I more like it this way). Anyway - thanks for any tips.
Cheers.

btw : I don't know much about programming in python so I'd prefer an answer "for dummies" :-)

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 pm

lanmancz wrote:Hey,
I just purchased APC40 and I'd like to ask how to rewrite the original MIDI Remote Script for APC40 to set the CUE LEVEL knob to act as scene navigation (the red box:-)) buttons UP&DOWN (for example Vestax VCM600 has a similar function for one knob I believe - turning the knob left would be as if i pressed the UP button and turning the knob right would be as if i pressed the DOWN button). I really don't need to change my cue level that often to waste a knob on that function so I'd like to remap it as a navigation knob because it would be a better use for it. Is is possible to do this ? I already decompiled the pyc files and did some minor changes to them (I changed the color of playing buttons from green to red - I more like it this way). Anyway - thanks for any tips.
Cheers.

btw : I don't know much about programming in python so I'd prefer an answer "for dummies" :-)
you only have to use the standard midi learn function in Ableton Live, any assignment will override the remote script functionality (just for that knob of course)

lanmancz

Post by lanmancz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Dr. Zoiberg wrote: you only have to use the standard midi learn function in Ableton Live, any assignment will override the remote script functionality (just for that knob of course)
Right, but this way I can only assign it to some visible object like a button or knob or fader, stuff like that. I dont think there is any of these that can move that red rectangle up and down, or is there?

jazzpa

Post by jazzpa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Is it possible, that the buttons, i mapped myself (and overwrote the default clip-launch function) turn red or yellow? the are green, if the related button is on, but if it is off, i cant find my buttons. would be great if they had another colour then.

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 am

for those of yall asking about limiting the faders to 0dB.

midi map them! to themselves of course. when im doing original performance stuff (as in not djing) i map the sliders to their corresponding tracks and map the midi max to the level i want the slider to be at for whatever mix ive come up with. that way the slider all the way up is exactly the volume i want to be. more fun than track mutes, and more musical!

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:37 am

I've not tried this but would this not negate the "handshake" and mean that the faders would no longer follow the focus of the red box?

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Mister36 wrote:I've not tried this but would this not negate the "handshake" and mean that the faders would no longer follow the focus of the red box?
correct

Centurion

Post by Centurion » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:33 pm

^ I've tried that in the past but found that it's not conducive to writing with my template set, and instead just leave -6Db Utility devices on every one of my 16 template tracks, that way there's no problem tabbing through tracks. I feel like when it comes time to perform, though, that the 'MIDI map faders to themselves at 0Db' approach would work better.

I have a question about USB. Kind of a 'hub' question... kind of. I'm using an iMac, and my USB ports are quickly disappearing with all of my devices - actually they're all full up between my APC40 and Virus TI keyboard. But I'm planning on getting a Traktor S4 at some point in the near future. I'm running through these scenarios in my head and so far the best solution seems to be to just man up and lose the plugin-style functionality of the Virus TI, instead opting for a simple MIDI connection (the Virus Control plugin only works with USB, naturally). But I'm wondering... Can I run the APC40 through the spare USB port on my iMac keyboard, not unlike a hub? Or will this affect its performance (and how)? Has anyone tried this? I definitely can't run the Virus through any kind of hub. Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked before.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:45 am

^ I think you should be ok ... give it a try.. I reckon you'll be fine.

Hd

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Usedtobe wrote:for those of yall asking about limiting the faders to 0dB.

midi map them! to themselves of course. when im doing original performance stuff (as in not djing) i map the sliders to their corresponding tracks and map the midi max to the level i want the slider to be at for whatever mix ive come up with. that way the slider all the way up is exactly the volume i want to be. more fun than track mutes, and more musical!
true solution to this is here: http://www.nativekontrol.com/apC_Series.html
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

flippo wrote:
bagginz wrote:Hi,
did anyone figure out a way to limit the faders to 0db inside Live when using the APC40?

A python script mod perhaps?

I have the NativeKontrol product that does this via a MT runtime, but I wanted to dispense with this if possible.

Cheers,
bagginz

would be handy.

A work around is to place a -6db utility on each track.
man i'm diggin this! =)
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

O D N

Post by O D N » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey Guyz,

I'm looking for a simple tool, and I can't find it on the net yet...

I'm actually changing my APC40 mapping set up, but it's a long time work, and I change knobs and faders function very often.

So it's difficult to remember the new place of each one everytime I change it.

I'm looking for a simple sheet that represents APC40 to write new affectations I did in order to remember it for the gigz.

I would be surprised If this sheet doesn't exist, but I could maybe do it myself in this case.

Looked on Akai website but didn't find anything interesting ... any idea ?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:25 pm

If you have a search for APC40 Programmers Protocol, i think thats what the documents called, it's got a few simple layout diagrams, i take it that's what you're looking for rather than a layover that you cut out and place on the apc itself??

And i know what you mean about layouts, i'm working on my 7th version of my max4live device, each time the layouts got better, the only advice i'd have is simplicity is best!!

Cheers
D

O D N

Post by O D N » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey,

Thank you for helping.

I didn't found what I wanted, so I created it myself.

It's pretty simple, but it could certainly help those that are changing their live sets every day :)

Here it is :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rnx5ye

Any question or comment let me know, this tool could certainly be customised for a better result ! :D)

(well, the break is over now, it's been quite fun to have a draw time, back to midi mapping now ... :arrow: )