25% off upgrading = Live 9 announcement in early 2011?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McQ714

Re: 25% off upgrading = Live 9 announcement in early 2011?

Post by McQ714 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:28 pm

timothyallan wrote:I've been beta testing it for a month now and it's pretty solid.

thought beta testers weren't supposed to talk about beta testing?

isn't that the 1st rule or something?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Ohh, yeah, it is. I'm just trying to spread some internet rumors.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 pm

The first rule is that forum members are incredibly gullible. The second rule is don't talk about the beta.

arbee

Post by arbee » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 pm

I don't know about this.

I don't have the suite but I don't feel like I'm missing something within my workflow.

I won't upgrade now... will probably do it when I'll go to the #9.

usually, how much is it when you go from Live to Suite while changing versions (ie. 8 -> 9) ???

dum

Post by dum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:25 pm

this is bush-league. This is the red-herring deal they put on the table so you won't qualify for the big haul, which is buying Live8 when Live9 is announced and getting both for the price of 1.

Native Instruments do the same thing, only they're not so stingy and they offer 50% so it's hard to be pissed off once you realise you should have waited.

Nice try marketing folks! Better luck next year! :lol:

*putting money aside for the live9 announcement*
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:24 am

McQ714 wrote:where did you learn how to count?

it's always taken more than a year and a half to release two major versions.

and with the exception of versions 3, 4, and 5 (by just a few days), they've always taken over a year each.

and let's go back... just because some of you have cash burning a hole in your pockets and are ready to upgrade because you have nothing better to do with your money, doesn't mean that Ableton should rush the product out if it's not ready!!!
What?

This is exactly the reason they should release a new version! Do you forget that Ableton are running a business?

And for what it’s worth, I would upgrade the day it gets released. Why you ask? Because I, like a large portion of Live users, do this for fun and not for a living. Therefore, I want to play with the new bells and whistles they put out. People like me are the reason they release new version.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:37 am

dum wrote:this is bush-league. This is the red-herring deal they put on the table so you won't qualify for the big haul, which is buying Live8 when Live9 is announced and getting both for the price of 1.

Native Instruments do the same thing, only they're not so stingy and they offer 50% so it's hard to be pissed off once you realise you should have waited.

Nice try marketing folks! Better luck next year! :lol:

*putting money aside for the live9 announcement*
This.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 am

Dum is likely correct, Ableton do pull this stunt just before having to give a free upgrade during the 'waiting period' typically, a month or so before the new product hits the shelves, or at least have done this is in the past. Also true about NI.

Wait for Black Friday, NI could pull some nice deals there too, they did the last 2 years as far as I recall (like $99 massive, absynth, reaktor etc in the past). No guarantees that will happen, but NI do generally give some tasty discounts from time to time.

Also printing previous Live upgrades is N/A here. In the past Ableton were only concentrating on Live, not trying to fix bugs in Live, Serato Bridge and Max4Live. Even if they announce Live 9 during NAMM, it might be a LONG time before the product hits the shelf. Steinberg announced Groove Agent 3 at a NAMM and it wasn't released for nearly 2 years afterwards ! That new Roger Linn/Dave Smith drum thingy was also announced at summer NAMM 2007 and this is the result
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/linndrum2/
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:26 am

Is Ableton still working on fixing all of the critical bugs in 8.x before working on a new version or putting out new features?
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:31 am

Don't worry, Live 9 does not contain any new features

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:03 am

timothyallan wrote:I've been beta testing it for a month now and it's pretty solid.

i hope you are not one of the L8 betatesters.. i know that chopping heads of would be a bit to drastic..but when i would be the owner of ableton i would have replaced all betattesters involved in the L8 desaster...

ups.. just ralized that that was just the users,.. you cant replace them i guess
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 am

leedsquietman wrote:Dum is likely correct, Ableton do pull this stunt just before having to give a free upgrade during the 'waiting period' typically, a month or so before the new product hits the shelves, or at least have done this is in the past. Also true about NI.

Wait for Black Friday, NI could pull some nice deals there too, they did the last 2 years as far as I recall (like $99 massive, absynth, reaktor etc in the past). No guarantees that will happen, but NI do generally give some tasty discounts from time to time.

Also printing previous Live upgrades is N/A here. In the past Ableton were only concentrating on Live, not trying to fix bugs in Live, Serato Bridge and Max4Live. Even if they announce Live 9 during NAMM, it might be a LONG time before the product hits the shelf. Steinberg announced Groove Agent 3 at a NAMM and it wasn't released for nearly 2 years afterwards ! That new Roger Linn/Dave Smith drum thingy was also announced at summer NAMM 2007 and this is the result
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/linndrum2/

Did you remember NI also doing 50% off the suite upgrade on black Friday ?

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:29 am

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily want Live 9 to come out. Only recently upgraded to Live 8 and bought M4L. But I'd certainly use some of the stuff in Suite and getting 25% off is tempting...

If I do go for the Suite upgrade and Live 9 is announced soon after I wont moan though - my eyes are wide open on this one! :D

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:49 am

dum wrote:this is bush-league. This is the red-herring deal they put on the table so you won't qualify for the big haul, which is buying Live8 when Live9 is announced and getting both for the price of 1.
Does this really add up? Will a 25% off upgrade to v.8 + v.9 upgrade > v.8 purchase + free v.9 upgrade ??

I can't imagine there will be much difference, will there? My understanding is that these offers are typically to increase user base, rather than make a shed load of cash...

dum

Post by dum » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 am

Szuumm wrote:
Does this really add up? Will a 25% off upgrade to v.8 + v.9 upgrade > v.8 purchase + free v.9 upgrade ??

I can't imagine there will be much difference, will there? My understanding is that these offers are typically to increase user base, rather than make a shed load of cash...
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Can you try saying that once more, next time trying a bit harder to speak in plain english ?

I can tell you right now though, that you're wrong. But if you explain yourself a bit better I can explain why.

Cheers.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.