What Pieces of Hardware Will Be Classics in 5/10 years?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davepermen

Re: What Pieces of Hardware Will Be Classics in 5/10 years?

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:31 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
davepermen wrote:the lemur. now that it's end of life, it will remain a big "first" in the history.
Definition of classic includes a thought that you're still able to use it after given period of time, in this case 10 years, and that it's still delivering something that other similar range products won't. Lemur will be neither in 10 years, I think, but in case you want to correct me, do it gently, please.
lemur not working anymore (and not available anymore on ebay and such), i doubt it. i think it will still be available, and still be working.

and definition of classic doesn't mean (to me) that it didn't got a (better) replacement. a definition of classic means it made a mark in history, that make people remember "that was the real one, it started it all". but then again, you might be right. people might think the ipad has started it. they think about a lot of thinks right now that apple invented it, which most of the time never is true.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

davepermen wrote:
LeifonMars wrote:
davepermen wrote:the lemur. now that it's end of life, it will remain a big "first" in the history.
Definition of classic includes a thought that you're still able to use it after given period of time, in this case 10 years, and that it's still delivering something that other similar range products won't. Lemur will be neither in 10 years, I think, but in case you want to correct me, do it gently, please.
lemur not working anymore (and not available anymore on ebay and such), i doubt it. i think it will still be available, and still be working.

and definition of classic doesn't mean (to me) that it didn't got a (better) replacement. a definition of classic means it made a mark in history, that make people remember "that was the real one, it started it all". but then again, you might be right. people might think the ipad has started it. they think about a lot of thinks right now that apple invented it, which most of the time never is true.
Yep, classic doesn't mean that it didn't get a better replacement, that's why I wrote "something" let it be "feel" or "touch" or "warmth". I think Lemur was a bit too niche to become real classic, and also the fact that at some point (maybe not in ten years) development of technology will make it completely obsolete, which will make it even harder task for next generations to find out what was so excellent about Lemur.

Sure, it has made its mark in history, but in my opinion that alone doesn't make it a classic.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:18 pm

well, i see tons of quite famous people having used it. but yeah, it's not that famous. then again, what gear we talk in here is famous outside the musician world anyways? not much.

and who cares if the newbies of the future don't know it? that's where the then elder ones come in and can talk endlessly about how revolutionary and new it was back then, and much better than when it got all big market and everyone could copy it.

like always. that's what classics are for.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:29 pm

This is just an idea, and there are different ways to think of "classic" and many pieces are and will be pretty choice "classic". That said, for something to be near universally considered classic, one criteria could be "does it fill a niche that nothing else does?" - "Does it fill a need?" Early in the thread someone said Empirical Labs Distressor- which is sited all the time as "the only classic hardware compressor in the last 10+ years" or words to that effect. Why? It sounds great, different, and everybody needed a new type of compressor, now it's heard everywhere. Same with the Minimoog and it's brethren in the 70's, people needed a portable, more affordable synth. Ditto the MPC in the 90's. So along those lines, maybe whichever touchscreen controller becomes commonplace? Or a new type of motion sensitive WI type thing? Perhaps OSC/wireless midi in general? Just a thought...

Totally OT, you already hear bold claims about the new Melodyne Editor (or whatever it's called) pitch correction software.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:38 pm

The Technics SL-1200/1210 series of turntables.

They were classics already, but still available new. Now that they have quit production they are only going to become more sought after.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:00 pm

anybody human wrote:This is just an idea, and there are different ways to think of "classic" and many pieces are and will be pretty choice "classic". That said, for something to be near universally considered classic, one criteria could be "does it fill a niche that nothing else does?" - "Does it fill a need?" Early in the thread someone said Empirical Labs Distressor- which is sited all the time as "the only classic hardware compressor in the last 10+ years" or words to that effect. Why? It sounds great, different, and everybody needed a new type of compressor, now it's heard everywhere. Same with the Minimoog and it's brethren in the 70's, people needed a portable, more affordable synth. Ditto the MPC in the 90's. So along those lines, maybe whichever touchscreen controller becomes commonplace? Or a new type of motion sensitive WI type thing? Perhaps OSC/wireless midi in general? Just a thought...

Totally OT, you already hear bold claims about the new Melodyne Editor (or whatever it's called) pitch correction software.
that's what classics are for: they trigger new needs, and create new industries out of it. mostly, the replacements and copies will be better, have more features. but one thing the 'classics' will always be: they will be first. that's what makes them the classics.

that doesn't mean (esp for the lemur) that everyone will want one. but that people will remember it, and be thankful it existed.

ot: melodyne is great. new software from them? or the one already existing? that one will be the good classic brother of the bad classic brother called autotune :)

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 pm

OT: Isn't the new one called Melodyne Editor DNA or something? I haven't tried it but it's sposed to be amazing.

I just think interactivity & performance control seem to be something that musicians are really interested in going forward. So that's what leads me to think breakththoughs in that area will be significant and memorable.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:10 pm

DNA is nothing new. around a year old? but yeah, it's great.

and indeed, interactivity and performance will shape the sound of the future. we can get any sound by now, the question is, how do you get your sound? developing new kinds of "instruments" will mostly be creating new controller surfaces/touchscreen software + the synth behind. creativity in the interface will lead to the special sounds.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 pm

davepermen wrote:ot: melodyne is great. new software from them? or the one already existing? that one will be the good classic brother of the bad classic brother called autotune :)
Melodyne is a musical travesty and marks yet another increase in the decline of good music.

classic as in small pox was a classic disease.

/gag
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 pm

...a couple of hardware synths will still be used on stage, but software and touchscreens will be the big hit in a couple of years. The most hardware out there is nothing than nostalgy from the 80s........
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:52 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:...a couple of hardware synths will still be used on stage, but software and touchscreens will be the big hit in a couple of years. The most hardware out there is nothing than nostalgy from the 80s........
So not true.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:41 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
xzusa8ky wrote:...a couple of hardware synths will still be used on stage, but software and touchscreens will be the big hit in a couple of years. The most hardware out there is nothing than nostalgy from the 80s........
So not true.
haha for what kind of music ambient drones maybe, but if things do turn out like that I will self induce myself into a coma

paddyb

Post by paddyb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:29 pm

I dont think any VA synth is going to be considered a classic. Is the Virus A classic? Nord 1? No. They will still be useful synths and they will still be used but they wont be considered classic. In ten years Virus TI's will just be a cheaper, lower-spec alternative to whatever the new one is.

Anyway, I +1 Andromeda and Drehbank. And, I would like to add

This synth has been getting a lot of use and a lot of love from a lot of people over the last few years. Definitely the next piece of kit on my list. If they are not being made anymore in 5 or 10 years I imagine they will be highly sought after and will hold their value nicely.

aizo

Post by aizo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:02 pm

How bout the Akai MFC42 Analog filter? Picked one up last week and it's pretty dope!

Don't know how people will feel about a dedicated rack filter in 10 years but ya never know
ImageImage

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:54 pm

aizo wrote:How bout the Akai MFC42 Analog filter? Picked one up last week and it's pretty dope!

Don't know how people will feel about a dedicated rack filter in 10 years but ya never know

How do you feel about the LFOs on it?

My picks are
filterbank
Sherman /Rodec restyler
Moog Murf

MPC 1000 w/ JJ OS
Machinedrum
Monomachine
Virus C
Nord Lead
SP 303