Cloning Ableton Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pathosmusic

Cloning Ableton Live

Post by pathosmusic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:54 am

Hello everyone! This is my situation... I have 3 computers with Live on them, but my main workstation has most of the presets i save, packs i install...etc.

Ive recently updated all of the machines from 8.0.5 to 8.1.5 but doing so I cannot figure out how to transfer my library with all my presets and content to all 3 machines and have it read everything. DO i have to save them all as live "packs" and then re install them on the other machines? or what do I have to do. In one instance i tried to copy the ableton live library from 1 HD to the other, and the ableton packs show up, but when i load them into a track it says that audio files are missing and i have to manually find them.... I have hundreds... close to thousands of packs and presets that i have installed / created. Surely there must be a way to keep these in tact while updating live?

simonlb

Re: Cloning Ableton Live

Post by simonlb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Are you on a Mac or PC?

pathosmusic

Post by pathosmusic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm

I am on a mac. all 3 of my machines.

lovin ableton

Post by lovin ableton » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 am

Bump for this one

Im trying to do the exact same thing as i tend to use my Laptop to produce while im on the road but when i get home to my studio i want my studio comp to be exactly the same..... Im mac also

cheerz

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:07 pm

I haven't tried this but you should be able to simply pick up you library from one system and copy it to the other machines. You will need to let live know where the library is. That setting is in your preferences in the library tab. Keep in mind mind that able ton recently changed the library format so it will help if you upgrade live so all three are running the same version of live first.

J

pathosmusic

Post by pathosmusic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Well theoretically that works but I need to take it a step further.

I have presets from the old live 8 that I have made... and mostly effect racks i have set up using some ableton effects with waves plug ins ... etc..

when i updated to the latest live, i lost all those presets. how can i transfer them to the new version? :S

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:15 am

If you have the same version of your vst/au plugins it "should" work.

Here is what you could do.

1. ensure you have the same version of your plugins.

2. make a backup of your current libraries. You can simply copy the entire folder.

3. copy the library from your main studio system and place it in a different location. I have my libraries, in my documents folder inside another folder called Live Library then inside I have a folder called Live 8.

4. start up Live and open the preferences.

5. click on the library tab and then click on change location.

6. select the path to the library you just copied from the other system. This will leave your old library intact. if you have any problems all you have to do is roll it back. simply by clicking on the change Location button again.

If you feel that this is too risky for you then I suggest sending an email to support@ableton.com I tell you that they have been extremely helpful in the past with issues I've had, so don't hesitate to use them as a resource. You have some very valid points and have spent lots of time building your library. It'd be terrible to lose that work.

-- Juan

sexface

Post by sexface » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 pm

[quote="pathosmusic"]Well theoretically that works but I need to take it a step further.

I have presets from the old live 8 that I have made... and mostly effect racks i have set up using some ableton effects with waves plug ins ... etc..

when i updated to the latest live, i lost all those presets. how can i transfer them to the new version? :S[/]

If everything works except for the Presets, I would recommend re-copying the device folder, which is actually just named "Presets" and is in the Library. I have manually copied .adg's before when I had this problem.

bulo

Post by bulo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Or just "collect and save" all the live sets you transfering between the machines :wink: .
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 pm

I'd check "SyncTwoFolders" on Google.
Little piece of Software to keep 2 Folders in sync without copying ALL files over and over again.

pathosmusic

Post by pathosmusic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 pm

I had this issue again with live, and Sexface your suggestion worked the easiest.

I just found the preset .adg's in the old library i backed up, and dragged them into the new live library. They worked fine!

Thanks a ton:) Now i just wish ableton would get on the bandwagon and run an update like a real "UPDATE" where you dont replace the whole program.

Cheers!