Is this The end of Humanity

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Emissary

Is this The end of Humanity

Post by Emissary » Mon May 23, 2005 9:31 pm

This must be stopped!! its fucked up
---------------------------------------------------

David Smith, technology correspondent
Sunday May 22, 2005
The Observer

Aeroplanes will be too afraid to crash, yoghurts will wish you good morning
before being eaten and human consciousness will be stored on supercomputers,
promising immortality for all - though it will help to be rich.

These fantastic claims are not made by a science fiction writer or a crystal
ball-gazing lunatic. They are the deadly earnest predictions of Ian Pearson,
head of the futurology unit at British Telecom.

'If you draw the timelines, realistically by 2050 we would expect to be able
to download your mind into a machine, so when you die it's not a major
career problem,' Pearson told The Observer. 'If you're rich enough then by
2050 it's feasible. If you're poor you'll probably have to wait until 2075
or 2080 when it's routine. We are very serious about it. That's how fast
this technology is moving: 45 years is a hell of a long time in IT.'

He believes that today's youngsters may never have to die, and points to the
rapid advances in computing power demonstrated last week, when Sony released
the first details of its PlayStation 3. It is 35 times more powerful than
previous games consoles. 'The new PlayStation is 1 per cent as powerful as a
human brain,' he said. 'It is into supercomputer status compared to 10 years
ago. PlayStation 5 will probably be as powerful as the human brain...'

louZ

Post by louZ » Mon May 23, 2005 9:35 pm

Great, Playstations will take over the world 8O

head

computer games...

Post by head » Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 pm

all a bunch of speculation because of our fears of death...not to say I'm not afraid of the unknown as anyone else, but I wouldn't mix subjects...
The power of a technology is relative...

ie: they landed on the moon (aledgedly) with a computer holding - if I'm not mistaken - 12MB of ram...and proportional cpu power...so, with this linear predictions of technology, a 2x2.7GB G5 with 8 GB of ram should enable us to travel in time!

in principle, interfacing humanity with technology is bound to limit our power of decision and freedom. Let evolution - yes, the Darwinian theory isn't the kind of sci-fi that creationists are lying about - do its thing and get out of that crummy bedroom and smell the lives you have been gifted with!

Live like immortals.
H
Last edited by head on Thu May 26, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.T"head"
1_Mac Pro Quad
2_Macbook pro 13'
Apogee / Motu /etc

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue May 24, 2005 12:20 am

Man - if I could live forever I would do it! Not being a religious fellow (I believe that after death there's nothing in particular) the prospect of something like that is quite attractive to me - and I would pay dearly for the opportunity to "download" myself and live forever...

Not a doubt in my mind.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Tue May 24, 2005 1:41 am

yeah they will also reach the stage of building an AI being, spending billions of dollars just to keep the thing alive.., while on the other hand you can just picture a starving marvin lost in the crowd feeling,,, hay! Im alive, Im real, it doesnt take much to sustain me...

its allready fucked up!
hurry up.... mr squigle....

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue May 24, 2005 1:47 am

montrealbreaks wrote:Man - if I could live forever I would do it! Not being a religious fellow (I believe that after death there's nothing in particular) the prospect of something like that is quite attractive to me - and I would pay dearly for the opportunity to "download" myself and live forever...

Not a doubt in my mind.

Sounds like my idea of hell.
Sorry I can't understand wanting too "Live Forever" myself :? .
IT would stifle natural evolution , stagnate progressive thought , social development and ideas and so on and so forth .....
Sounds frigging stupid IMHO. 8O
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue May 24, 2005 2:04 am

your conciousness cannot escape your own head. how can they download something that is contained by the receptor of reality(your brain) and seat it elswhere in a fabricated shell? your mind is seated in your skull and is accustomed to the intricate workings of your brain in order to function and experience, all according to your own brain configuration.

so what they are claiming is that they can capture and transplant your soul(your soul in this case meaning your own consciousness that is locked in your body) into a computer. how would they know how to locate such an abstract intangible concept

DJALEX

Post by DJALEX » Tue May 24, 2005 2:12 am

louZ wrote:Great, Playstations will take over the world 8O
Like T3 8O Rise of the play station :twisted:
Live 6 - Reason 3 - Fruity Loops - Acid - Sound Forge 7 - UC-33 - BCF 2000 - KeyStation 61 - Arkaos - Sony Vaio lap

DJALEX

Post by DJALEX » Tue May 24, 2005 2:20 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:your conciousness cannot escape your own head. how can they download something that is contained by the receptor of reality(your brain) and seat it elswhere in a fabricated shell? your mind is seated in your skull and is accustomed to the intricate workings of your brain in order to function and experience, all according to your own brain configuration.

so what they are claiming is that they can capture and transplant your soul(your soul in this case meaning your own consciousness that is locked in your body) into a computer. how would they know how to locate such an abstract intangible concept
You never know dude??!! dont forget 50 or 70 years ago dolly doesnt exist. :wink:
Live 6 - Reason 3 - Fruity Loops - Acid - Sound Forge 7 - UC-33 - BCF 2000 - KeyStation 61 - Arkaos - Sony Vaio lap

anonymouse

Re: Is this The end of Humanity

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 24, 2005 2:21 am

Emissary wrote:PlayStation 5 will probably be as powerful as the human brain...'
Perhaps Playstation 5 will be grown on a petri dish from human embryo stem cells and will wear a daiper for the first few weeks after purchase.

Reminds me of that movie Existenz.

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue May 24, 2005 2:29 am

adhmzaiusz wrote: so what they are claiming is that they can capture and transplant your soul(your soul in this case meaning your own consciousness that is locked in your body) into a computer. how would they know how to locate such an abstract intangible concept
The answer is simple, this "soul" is nothing but electricity. We are machines with nerve wires and hardware components like the heart, liver etc. We utilize fluid called H2O like cars utilize oil. We are mechanical in our own way and like a microwave, a computer, a calculator, television and on and on....we operate with that invisible energy source called electricity.
Just like satellites transmit invisible waves to your radio and television (which can be stored on DVDs, Cassettes etc.), our mind transmits consciousness which can also be stored. How do you suppose we remember things? It is just a matter of knowing WHERE and HOW it all works.
OK....back to that invisible energy called sound :D

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 24, 2005 2:35 am

Former Pharaoh wrote:
adhmzaiusz wrote: so what they are claiming is that they can capture and transplant your soul(your soul in this case meaning your own consciousness that is locked in your body) into a computer. how would they know how to locate such an abstract intangible concept
The answer is simple, this "soul" is nothing but electricity. We are machines with nerve wires and hardware components like the heart, liver etc. We utilize fluid called H2O like cars utilize oil. We are mechanical in our own way and like a microwave, a computer, a calculator, television and on and on....we operate with that invisible energy source called electricity.
Just like satellites transmit invisible waves to your radio and television (which can be stored on DVDs, Cassettes etc.), our mind transmits consciousness which can also be stored. How do you suppose we remember things? It is just a matter of knowing WHERE and HOW it all works.
OK....back to that invisible energy called sound :D

Someone lying in a hospital in a persistent vegetative state might be an example of the humans merely being complex machines theory. But when consciousness is present, then your argument falls flat on its face.

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue May 24, 2005 2:40 am

anonymouse wrote: Someone lying in a hospital in a persistent vegetative state might be an example of the humans merely being complex machines theory. But when consciousness is present, then your argument falls flat on its face.
Uh, it is this consciousness that i am referring to when i speak of the electrical current in our body system. Without it, we cannot function. What is the difference between a dead person and a live one? They both have all the physical aspects intact except a dead person does not have Spirit, or consciousness...or what I call electricity.
Whether a body is in a vegetative state or not is irrelevant.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue May 24, 2005 2:44 am

double post. oops. I must be trying to catch up to AdamJay.
Last edited by montrealbreaks on Tue May 24, 2005 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue May 24, 2005 2:45 am

Well, I never said that I believed it was possible, but I would take the opportunity if it ever came about. I mean, you could always pull the plug if you decided you didn't like living like that.

The next logical progression would be downloading your "soul" into a waiting, mindless clone of yourself as a youngster. True eternal life. Sign me up!

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs