Best Ableton Effects for BOC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anybody human

Re: Best Ableton Effects for BOC

Post by anybody human » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Angstrom wrote:it's worth remembering that if you actually achieve "that BOC sound" then all that will happen is people will say "this sounds like BOC".

Personally I hate that sort of thing. If you copy someone well enough then you come off like a second rate artist, a tribute act! It's important to separate liking someone from trying to become them.

So aim to create your own distinctive sound, like they managed to do. Or if you can't do that then at least copy them very, very badly, so people wont just congratulate you on your mimicking skills.
I take your point and it's a good one but for me it's just about learning a technique. I usually can't approximate something all that well anyway. More importantly, the melodies I come up with, the type of songs I write and the way I play - it always comes out sounding like me anyway.

For instance, there's a song on the new LCD Soundsystem record where he does a Robert Fripp/David Bowie "Heroes" guitar sound. It's a really cool song but I never take that approach, just doesn't interest me. Nonetheless, I'm always interested in hearing about Robert Fripp's guitar techniques or anything to do with David Bowie and Brian Eno. I try to take any techniques I learn and do something different with them, and it's often inspiring as a starting point.

Here's that song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPeQ9U_f-0
And a couple of live versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZjGFOSlzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEwdbGH ... re=related

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:27 pm

in that's case it's worth mentioning that the only thing I remember about the "BOC sound" is reading an interview where, when presented with the multiplicity of esoteric ways people have tried to obtain it, they replied: "er, we just made it on a sampler, it's just a sampler sound"

So I'm betting that these reports of analogue cassette bouncing and stuff are all make-believe. A bit of LFO on the pitch and some other ITB trickery.

(I could be totally wrong about this though)

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Angstrom wrote:in that's case it's worth mentioning that the only thing I remember about the "BOC sound" is reading an interview where, when presented with the multiplicity of esoteric ways people have tried to obtain it, they replied: "er, we just made it on a sampler, it's just a sampler sound"

So I'm betting that these reports of analogue cassette bouncing and stuff are all make-believe. A bit of LFO on the pitch and some other ITB trickery.

Probably the bit reduction/ lower sampling rate of the sampler they used. I read an interview with Fever Ray in Pitchfork where they asked her how she does her vocals (pitch shifting etc.), implying that she must use software like Melodyne or Autotune. She said she records it direct from a hardware unit, the older T.C. Electronics VoiceLive 1. It's funny - hardware, it's always hardware. Not only hardware, but "effects to tape" (or nowadays disk), not a plugin that you can endlessly tweak and adjust later - aesthetic decisions made by artists in the moment, that last. This also a reason you hear a lot of people say they try to get out of midi into audio tracks, or out of Session and into Arrangement view, as fast as they can. Make decisions, keep going.

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:13 pm

I have heard a ton of BOC sound-alikes.

It just shows how much talent BOC has.... it's a sound but also some very strong melodic pieces

so doing both together is what separates them from others; fantastic layers of sounds that blends so well you may have to listen dozens of times to hear them all, plus melodies you can remember , and have a strong emotional, nostalgia-like effect...

they just do not make enough records :lol:

esky

Post by esky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Angstrom wrote:in that's case it's worth mentioning that the only thing I remember about the "BOC sound" is reading an interview where, when presented with the multiplicity of esoteric ways people have tried to obtain it, they replied: "er, we just made it on a sampler, it's just a sampler sound"

Well, i think you are wrong. Make your way through this...http://bocpages.org/wiki/Main_Page and this http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewforum.p ... 2fbbc1f023 and you can read many statements about what they are using.

And your statement about "own destictive sound"...of course this is the ideal idea we should all go for, but nearly impossible to realise. Name an act you call "they have their sound", i tell you where it comes from (ah, maybe...). Close to everything has been made before in a certain way, i'm afraid. Even the Boards steal like raven from old 60s/70s TV program melodies and atmospheres. But of course you're right, we should all go for a unique fingerprint sound...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:14 pm

wait, I'm prepared to believe whatever. But you need to do more than point me at a wiki absolutely FULL of interviews from 1999 to now, and in addition an entire forum!!! What am I meant to do with that?

at least give me one interview and one thread. Damn, time is short and it's not even like I'm the one who wants to reproduce the damn sound. I'm the one saying do something else. the limits of my interest is posting in this thread right here, not going on an intensive research mission. For what?

Everyone recognizes that sound, so even if you do something a bit different - it's still too close right now. Leave it 20 years, then yeah. But until then ... well that ship has already sailed.

lessons from history: Robin Trower was a good guitarist in the 1970's (probably still is) . He was known to the general public as "that guy who tries to sound like Hendrix".

Big V

Post by Big V » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jcFQs2ZhCo

Beginning from minute 05:19.

Any recommendations for a specific Boards Of Canada album to start with for someone who is not acquainted with their music?
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

esky

Post by esky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:33 pm

What am I meant to do with that?
Do nothing, ignore it. Bye...
Any recommendations for a specific Boards Of Canada album to start with for someone who is not acquainted with their music?
-Music has the right to children 1998
-Geogaddi 2002

Big V

Post by Big V » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 pm

esky wrote:
-Music has the right to children 1998
-Geogaddi 2002
Alright, thanx! I'll check them out!
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.