Deadmau5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ikeaboy

Re: Deadmau5

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44 am

Regardless of what I think about his music I think he's an excellent example of an electronic musician embracing the whole branding concept and stepping outside of the little underground ghetto and into the mainstream. Any time an artist goes from 'underground' music (underground compared to the top ten, I know he's hardly breakcore) into the mainstream they become a target for those who won't or can't make the same step. He does come across a bit'inflated' in interviews to me but then again who to say I wouldn't if it had been me in his place.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:55 am

3phase wrote:
BoxDJ wrote:He was playing solitaire BEFORE the VMA's Get your facts straight.
and all the time that helmet? hope he is not tall..otherwise the way to the toilet could cost the mouse ears
no not all the time. it's just a partial thing. he's quite tall. taller than me, i'm 1:85. met him once. see him next weekend, first time in switzerland.

while the haters are going to hate, i'll enjoy a great party. can't wait :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Deadmau5 and Rusko, same management team.... Pathetic Twitter spat = publicity.... You do the maths!

Cheers
D

neal909

Post by neal909 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 pm

really like the track FML, love the breakdown. as the the live shows, well if somebodys doing e-mails or doing live re-edits on stage from the front it all looks the same anyway so whats the big deal.

neal909

Post by neal909 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:05 pm

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:08 pm

satoribeats wrote:You guys have no idea what your talking about. Solitaire was being play'd during breaks in his set!!! Would you rather him play with his wang? He had nothing better to do! and for his lives sets , playing his stuff live is a ever evolving process! He spends alot of time trying to make his live sets more live!

btw : To who ever said they dont like mau5's "cube" and LOVESSS the daft punk space ship blah blah blah.... Its the same designer who made both stages.... It does not even matter though , does his stage being a "gimmick" have anything to do with the quality of his show? I think not..Your all just jealous that your production sucks! He made it! Does an awesome show! Production is unparalleled! Even black eye pea's are jacking his loops and giving him no credit!

READ UP BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

8O This is where I say, welcome to the forum.. and also.. go fuck yourself..

"Your all just jealous that your production sucks!" - okay little guy, enough with the insults, we all know you're just as good as deadmau5 cause you can drop his track in a DJ set soo.. carry on fan boy.

Theres never going to be a shortage of narcissistic people who follow the narcissistic DJ's around.. deadmau5 has better production than I do, so that ultimately makes your shit not stink because you buy his shitty records and wear his t-shirts..

Wheres your music buddy?
Machinesworking wrote:Everything I've heard him do is solid production wise and mediocre song wise.
but it doesn't matter when you've got thousands waiting outside to see you play solitaire in a mouse costume on top of a big ass gimmick cube as long as the song goes untz untz untz untz !

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:11 pm

can't forget the one that goes

untz untz (da) untzuntz untz....

now thats a classic.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

GDOGG

Post by GDOGG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm

obviously a hot topic of conversation this one :D
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
3phase wrote: He has done some good tracks...
Name them if you don't mind, I would actually like to know what the fuss is about? Everything I've heard him do is solid production wise and mediocre song wise.
I quite like alot of his stuff, but its got way more to do with the production than the interest of the music, though i like the music not, but it nice rather than interesting if that makes sense.

As for the mouse head thing, I have to wonder if that (not specifically the mouse, but the identity or brand etc) is really what made him. Half the time when you do a set, noone remembers a thing that they can definately identify you with later and so get a following, but waering a mouse head - people remember that and if the sets good, then you get an identity and a following - basic brand building 101 etc...
Nothing to see here - move along!

djsb

Post by djsb » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Khazul wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
3phase wrote: He has done some good tracks...
Name them if you don't mind, I would actually like to know what the fuss is about? Everything I've heard him do is solid production wise and mediocre song wise.
I quite like alot of his stuff, but its got way more to do with the production than the interest of the music, though i like the music not, but it nice rather than interesting if that makes sense.

As for the mouse head thing, I have to wonder if that (not specifically the mouse, but the identity or brand etc) is really what made him. Half the time when you do a set, noone remembers a thing that they can definately identify you with later and so get a following, but waering a mouse head - people remember that and if the sets good, then you get an identity and a following - basic brand building 101 etc...

The only thing I like about him are his chord progressions.

I definitely think the mau5head helped him out quite a bit. ANYTHING that makes you more memorable will help!

Babalazarou

Post by Babalazarou » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Yep basic brand building 101.

When I play I normally flop the old fella out and I can tell you I have a HUGE following on the straight and rainbow ciruit.

Seriously though and back on topic, I like a few of his tracks, Strobe is the standout for me. Productions are crisp and pump really well on a club system, the punters love it and thats all that matters really.

Saw a video where he describes how how it's not so easy to play a full "live set" of his own tracks (even with Ableton), he also mentions the need for better SYNC between two instances of Live (paging 3Phase stat).

After all he's just another one of us who tries to make people dance and you can't knock him for that.
He's not the messiah.....he's a very naughty boy

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:42 pm

If I ever wanted to know what the Poney EP by Vitalic would have sounded like if there was sidechain compression everywhere, I'd listen to Deadmau5.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:57 pm

he used to be a poster on this board....then the dude made it

the envy and jealousy on this board is hilarious
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:19 pm

indeed.

and most haters don't know more than maybe 2 or 3 songs. no wonder they say "they sound all the same". that's true for about any musician :) listening to 2, maybe 3 songs doesn't show the variety (esp if it's the 3 most popular songs).
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I dig Ghosts n Stuff by Deadmau5, though not much else. I do however respect the dude for making it somewhere I never will.