Maschine as VST in Ableton Live (full, useful tutorial)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
vmcjr1

Re: Maschine as VST in Ableton Live (full, useful tutorial)

Post by vmcjr1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks hiphopdontstop. I tried it and it still didn't work. Don't know what I missing, but anyway I downloaded the project and it's all good, thanks sooooo much!

vmc

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Still didn't work?

Hmm..... it should work...

Maybe I should post a Live set....

vmcjr1

Post by vmcjr1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm sure I'm probably just getting confused by that Midi Sounds Setup dialog box on the Maschine, which is so badly implemented... if you don't follow the setup you posted step by step it really won't work... posting a live set would probably be helpful to everyone... it's good to know how to set it up manually, but it's also damn confusing and who knows maybe the Maschine people with sort it out somewhere down the line. thanks again!

fongcj.eee@gmail.com

Post by fongcj.eee@gmail.com » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:44 am

Sorry I'm new to the party. I just got Maschine a couple of days ago and I came across this video on youtube. It has been extremely helpful but the only thing I can't do is have my midi clips in ableton trigger the sounds in maschine.
For example, I will have maschine asa vst plugin, I'll have an external instrument setup on group B, and the group B settings will be on ext out 2, and the midi batch settings will be on Sounds to midi notes. I'll arm the external instrument track and play a midi clip. As I hit the pads, the midi records into the ableton midi clip and the proper sounds are triggered. But as the loop starts over none of the notes in the clip are triggered, and I get no sounds!
Other parameters: In preferences, Track and Remote are ON for Maschine Contoller In / Maschine Contoller Out. Sync for both is off.
Interestingly, Maschine is not a choice as one of my control surfaces. This doesn't seem like a problem though, as I am able to trigger any drum rack in ableton when I switch maschine to midi mode.

Not sure what else I'm missing. Hope someone can help!

fLo LaChèvre

Post by fLo LaChèvre » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 am

Hi,

I tries this set up ans it works fine.
I just cannot record my voice un sampling maschine's mode: any suggestion?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 am

fLo LaChèvre wrote:I tries this set up ans it works fine.
I just cannot record my voice un sampling maschine's mode: any suggestion?
If you're using a regular version of the plugin, a workaround is needed to sample into the plugin. Otherwise, using the FX version of the Maschine plugin or using Maschine in standlone mode is the way to sample into Maschine.

Brandsi

Post by Brandsi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Hello, thanks for this great tutorial!!
Is it possible to send the (in maschine) recorded patterns via MIDI into ableton? Now I only recieve the notes I play at that moment.

Maybe, because of my bad english, I do something wrong..
I hope you guys can help me =)

Grtz

puzzlefactory

Re: Maschine as VST in Ableton Live. A little help please.

Post by puzzlefactory » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 pm

I've set everything up and it seems to be working ok except for one thing. My midi keyboard (novation remote compact) won't play the separate notes of my instrument tracks. The only note it will play is the root note from the midi batch setup (in this case c3).

Anyone else come across this problem and know a way around it?

(ive already tried the tip in part 3 of the tutorial about setting the midi from to "all ins" but this doesn't seem to correct the problem)

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:33 am

Everything's working fine now. Nice one! I've been looking for a way to integrate Maschine into my main productions and this really does the trick! 8)

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 pm

One question.

How do you automate with this setup? I've got an instance of Massive loaded into group 2 and i've setup the macro 1 control to the cutoff frequency. But i can't locate the control in the clip envelope editor. Anyone got any ideas?

Johnny Vulcan

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 pm

@Hiphopdontstop: I know this thread is way old, but I still wanted to give you a big up for this tutorial. Really concise, clear, and the results are sick. I had been using a set-up very similar to this already, but that weird memory effect with the sound midi setup channels not updating correctly was exactly where I was getting hung up. I just didn't know what the problem was. But since you described the bug accurately, now I know exactly whats going on.

I modified your method a little bit to give me multiple independent sounds in a couple groups, all responding to their own midi channels, but still outputting through the group, so I've still got the benefits of Maschine's group fx. It's a sweet workflow, basically having Maschine's intuitive input programming, but sequencing with Live. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 pm

When you use maschine in ableton live in this way can parameters of the instrument (that is an instrument in Maschine) be tweaked from within live in this same way (i.e cutoff/resonance and other parameters)? or is it JUST controls within ableton that can be tweaked? (i.e volume, track on/off, pan etc)

Simply put, can automation programmed into the clips brought into ableton live control parameters of the VST/instrument within Maschine?
---

'T'

Post by 'T' » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm not getting the option to select machine in the drop down menu with POST FX/ PRE FX in it?

Is there a step i'm missing??

'T'

Post by 'T' » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Whoooops! I was using the AU instead of the VST!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

fratts

Post by fratts » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Just got a Maschine, Just found this - Absolutely Amazing, thank you!!!!! :)