Trouble with Motu Ultralite and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jersey Garcia

Trouble with Motu Ultralite and Live

Post by Jersey Garcia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm trying to record 4 channels of my drums into my Motu Ultralite (2 overheads going directly into the XLR inputs on the Ultralite and kick and snare mics going into an M-Audio Audio Buddy and then into the line-in inputs 3&4 of my Ultralite). In Live, I have 4 channels set up receiving inputs from their respective inputs on the Ultralite, and all send their output signals to a master drum bus (Channel 5). What I'm trying to do is be able to get a rough mix and then record clips of the complete mixed drums on Channel 5.

Problem is, even with all of the channels not armed to record, I'm still sending the output signals from the mics through my monitors (also regardless of whether the monitoring in Live is set to Auto or Off). I'm assuming there's something screwy with the way my Motu is configured, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

concept_control

Re: Trouble with Motu Ultralite and Live

Post by concept_control » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm

If I'm reading that right, I think you need to open Cuemix and mute all your inputs.

If the inputs aren't muted, you'll hear the inputs straight out of the main outs. With that done, when you arm your tracks in Ableton you should start hearing the channels correctly, ie through the AD, Ableton, and back out the DA.

Jersey Garcia

Post by Jersey Garcia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:50 pm

so muting them in cuemix won't mute them in Live as well? Interesting. I will try this tonight. Thanks for the input.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 pm

yeah - check your different monitor mixes. sometimes there is one setup going out the master channels.

Jersey Garcia

Post by Jersey Garcia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:53 am

ok. so that seemed to fix the problem with hearing the inputs. thanks.

now, is there a way to record only the mixed down drum bus track (track 5) when tracks 1-4 (overheads, kick, snare) are armed and receiving input signals but not recording themselves? what's the proper way to do that? currently i have them all sending their output to track 5, but for some reason, track 5 is not receiving audio. How should i set up a channel to receive audio from 4 separate tracks in the audio from section?

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 am

i would route them all to a send (and choose "to sends only" in the i/o section of those tracks). than you can resample from that send with any audio track. make sure you choose that send in the i/o of the resampling track.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 am

Jersey Garcia wrote:so muting them in cuemix won't mute them in Live as well? Interesting. I will try this tonight. Thanks for the input.
Mute them in the "Mixes" tab of cuemix, not the inputs tab.

Note there may be multiple mixes available from the mixes tab!

(If you still hear them coming out and it's not direct monitoring, turn off the tracks in ableton; they'll still record although they'll look grey)
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1