TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rabouille

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by rabouille » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Can you move or copy/paste clips within touchAble? Haven't seen anything on that.... I love to move stuff around during sets to create impromptu comps.

:?:
not yet, but be sure that we all love that idea, and it is on top of our wishlist ;)

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 am

rabouille wrote:for those who want to dj with touchAble and live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wNiMNbXLfs

nice one! will try this when i get home!!

Please may we have a crossfader in the bottom quarter of the screen and clips in the top three quaters?

8)

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:53 am

rabouille wrote:
Frederik654 wrote:However, I got a problem that I will try to test further this evening; A softsynth (u-He ACE) seemed to get some strange hiccups. Basically I was creating a patch while playing in Touch with the keys page but the sliders of the synth that I was mousing were almost stuck the whole time I was playing notes.

I don't think it comes from touchAble... I just own a demo version of ACE, and i can say i had several strange hiccups a few times. Really amazing softsynth, with some weird bugs in Live sometimes, but maybe due to my demo version1.0...don't know.
Yesterday I reformatted my desktop and installed only Live, Touchable and Ace and the same behaviour stays, now I must add that indeed Ace is a CPU hog and Live CPU meter was struggling around 40% to 50%.

This was with a patch using triple osc stacks (I'm on a i7 with 6GB ram). Live can handle the synth but I guess it's just a matter of priorities. CPU is doing a lot for ACE and tweaking the GUI's controls AND transmitting Touchable data is colliding somehow due to CPU load. If I go to draft mode in ACE and build a very basic patch the hiccups are less.

Case not solved but I guess it's a matter of CPU tasks so nothing can be done (except buying a hardware synth :wink: )
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi,
Please pardon me if this was addressed in this thread already (29 pages is a bit daunting to go through)...

When I have touchable scripts 1 and 2 enabled in MIDI prefs in Live it introduces noticeable latency for *every* UI action made in Live - even when controlling via the mouse or computer keyboard (i.e. not using the iPad) - and even when touchable is not active on my iPad. Is this normal? I imagine this may be unavoidable at least to some degree, but I'm wondering whether it can be minimized in any way (or may possibly be lessened with future code-streamlining updates). For instance, if I'm only using 1 iPad, do I really need both scripts running?

I can see that this latency is tolerable for normal DJ-style performance, but for power-use editing in the studio usage the lag is simply too annoying to be worthwhile. It'd be nice to have touchable as an always-available UI extension, but if my experience is normal, then I guess it'll have to just be used in performance situations.

Is Griid any better on this front I wonder?

(MBPC2D, 10.6.5, 8.2.1, 4.2.1)

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 am

soundsliketree wrote:Hi,
Please pardon me if this was addressed in this thread already (29 pages is a bit daunting to go through)...

When I have touchable scripts 1 and 2 enabled in MIDI prefs in Live it introduces noticeable latency for *every* UI action made in Live - even when controlling via the mouse or computer keyboard (i.e. not using the iPad) - and even when touchable is not active on my iPad. Is this normal? I imagine this may be unavoidable at least to some degree, but I'm wondering whether it can be minimized in any way (or may possibly be lessened with future code-streamlining updates). For instance, if I'm only using 1 iPad, do I really need both scripts running?

I can see that this latency is tolerable for normal DJ-style performance, but for power-use editing in the studio usage the lag is simply too annoying to be worthwhile. It'd be nice to have touchable as an always-available UI extension, but if my experience is normal, then I guess it'll have to just be used in performance situations.

Is Griid any better on this front I wonder?

(MBPC2D, 10.6.5, 8.2.1, 4.2.1)
Actually, you have to select only touchAblescript1 if you use a single iPad.
You are talking about latency, but what type of connection are you running with touchAble? router connection might introduce sometimes (depends the quality of your router) latency, we always recommend an ad-hoc connection to avoid any kind of connection issues. You won't get any noticeable latency with Ad-hoc connection. Check this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4Uy7lVJ6U

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks very much for the tips!

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm

touchAble 1.1.1 update coming soon.
A new update has been sent to Apple for approval, it will be released (probably) during the week. Some extra features and few little bug fixes.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:04 pm

rabouille wrote:touchAble 1.1.1 update coming soon.
A new update has been sent to Apple for approval, it will be released (probably) during the week. Some extra features and few little bug fixes.

That's great, rab. The device list not updating when changing sets was a bitch! :x :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Hello,
I just did a forum search for "Touchable USB" and couldn't find any posts post-iOS4.2-update. To my understanding iPad USB MIDI became possible in this update... and while so many people are excited about getting MIDI *into* their iPads to control the various iOS synths, I am most interested in getting MIDI (and/or whatever protocol Touchable uses) *OUT* of my iPad... in this case -specifically - to have the option of using a hard-wired connection for Touchable.

Does anyone know if this is possible or foreseeable?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm

soundsliketree wrote:Hello,
I just did a forum search for "Touchable USB" and couldn't find any posts post-iOS4.2-update. To my understanding iPad USB MIDI became possible in this update... and while so many people are excited about getting MIDI *into* their iPads to control the various iOS synths, I am most interested in getting MIDI (and/or whatever protocol Touchable uses) *OUT* of my iPad... in this case -specifically - to have the option of using a hard-wired connection for Touchable.

Is touchable even using MIDI to communicate between the iPad and host computer?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:07 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
soundsliketree wrote:Hello,

Is touchable even using MIDI to communicate between the iPad and host computer?

No, OSC. But the concept of a hardwire connection is the same and certainly possible with touchAble - as long as the devs change the app code.

A better question would be: Does the iOS4.2 MIDI implementation include the ability to send a clock message from the iPad?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for clarifying about OSC.

If you don't mind, would you please explain why you're interested in clock-out from the iPad? Does this have to do with Touchable?

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:A better question would be: Does the iOS4.2 MIDI implementation include the ability to send a clock message from the iPad?
Yes it does.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:41 pm

touchAble 1.1.1 is now live on the App Store. Please download and install the updated Scripts from http://touch-able.com/Site/Downloads.html

New Features:
• Different colors for stop toggles depending on the playing status of the corresponding track
• Send & volume faders reflect the color of the corresponding track in Live
• A second tap on "Volume" in the Mixer-menu while showing 4 tracks will enable slim Volume + Send A/B/C faders at once for each track.
• Do a long tap on a clip to focus its waveform within Live and select it for Clip Manipulation
• Momentary mode on Device Page. When toggle mode is active (Button in the lower left corner of the device module) you can do a long press on a device to only momentarily change its state. To toggle the device do a short tap.
• Playing position indicator for non-looped clips.
• for clips that start playing normally and start looping at a later time we added a playing position indicator that shows the time remaining till the loop (up to 16 bars)
• Clips & Stop buttons now flash in sync with the bpm of the set currently controlled

Fixes:

• Under some circumstances it was not possible to enable / disable devices
• Stop button for track 1 not flashing
• Meters not being shown after changing width of clips

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:01 am

still not updating properly.if i put a vst instrument in a set then erase it,it still shows up on touchables screen.really annoying...