Dell Studio XPS 1640 - Files skipping in large soundsystems

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
djalexclark

Dell Studio XPS 1640 - Files skipping in large soundsystems

Post by djalexclark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:04 am

Hi.

I beleive this is not a Ableton Live issue but I wonder if any one had the same problem:

I use a Dell Studio XPS 1640 Windows 7 (x64) with Live 8.2.1

I use it to play live as a DJ with APC 40 Controller and a NI Audio 8DJ Soundcard.

The issue is that suddenly when I use it in some huge sound systems and the computer catch loud frequencies feedback (vibration), the clips begin to skip (like a turntable) this happened to me twice, the first time was terrible because I didn't know how to react, I had never played in a soundsystem with those characteristics. My only guess was to reduce the volume level, the booth level and begin to pass the clips to RAM, but doesn't quite solve the issue.
The second time I use it a Stanton Uberstand laptop base the second it skip and that helped me a lot.
I saw a Macbook pro behaving excelent in that environment. And I wonder if it's:
a) a Dell design problem having the HDD very close to the "vibrating" surface.
b) The HDD it's barely isolate.
c) It's a problem with the HDD model (it's a Seagate Momentus 500GB @7,200 rpm) that doesn't behave well with that vibrations.
d) It's another thing.

Does anyone have the same issue with a Dell XPS or another laptop?
Does anybody solved something similar twisting some parameters, did some isolation, buying a Solid State Drive or something?
It seems that I can't be able to play in large venues with huge sounsystems unless I bought a Macbook pro, but it cost a lot more.

Every tip or advice will be appreciate.

mattadms

Re: Dell Studio XPS 1640 - Files skipping in large soundsystems

Post by mattadms » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Hey Alex,

these problems are most likely to occur to due what's called SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor).
This sensor is supposed to quickly disable your HDD in case of immenent impact because of e.g. dropping your laptop.

Some Laptops have these sensors on-board (like Macbooks) and some companys integrate those in their drives.
I dunno if there is a way to disable that sensor (in case you have it).
You'd probably need to figure out your exact Model Number and then do a google search :)

Matt

djalexclark

Post by djalexclark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Matt.

That's interesting.

My exact model is:

Dell Studio XPS 1640, Intel core duo @2.8 GHz, I have Windows 7 (x64) and 8GB RAM. As I said I have a Seagate Momentus HDD 500GB @7,200 rpm.

If you find something, please share it with me.

Regards.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm

It seems that the 7200 rpm Momentus drives have G-Force Protection. I wouldn't dare to turn it off on a laptop that gets moved around allot like yours.
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... M1ySqQDsLg

Having it on a stand that will absorb the shock seems like the preferable solution. Of course an SSD would be nice too but it's not gonna be 500GB :)
djalexclark wrote:Hi Matt.

That's interesting.

My exact model is:

Dell Studio XPS 1640, Intel core duo @2.8 GHz, I have Windows 7 (x64) and 8GB RAM. As I said I have a Seagate Momentus HDD 500GB @7,200 rpm.

If you find something, please share it with me.

Regards.

djalexclark

Post by djalexclark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks Matt.

I just bought a Momentus XT which it's an hybrid SSD, I hope that helps, but I'll experiment a little with the G-Force parameters.

Thanks a lot.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:36 pm

dentaku wrote:It seems that the 7200 rpm Momentus drives have G-Force Protection. I wouldn't dare to turn it off on a laptop that gets moved around allot like yours.
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... M1ySqQDsLg
Yeah but:
This free-fall sensor is designed to detect when the hard
drive has been dropped. With that knowledge, the hard drive is able to
defend itself against a large shock and protect critical user data that could
otherwise be destroyed.
So you just gotta see and handle it with care.
I mean, if he drops the harddrive, he probably drops the laptop as well.. and at that point, well.. :?