Tascam portastudio (tape recorder)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hussey

Re: Tascam portastudio (tape recorder)

Post by hussey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Just to clarify:

Sending audio from Live to tascam: audio output on interface > mic/line input channel on tascam > hit record on tascam (process repeated for each channel, depending on how many outputs you have)

Audio from Tascam to Live: press play on tascam > line outputs on tascam > inputs on audio interface.

(In Live, set the audio from, to whatever inputs you have setup to receive audio from the tascam. Set the audio to, to whatever outputs you have assigned to the tascam e.g. outputs 3+4 going into channel one+2 on the tascam.)

I just wanna be sure. :)

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:48 pm

i use taacam and yamaha 4 tracks for recording live improvisation jam things with me and other people. then i record each track on the cassette into ableton and further edit them there. takes a bit of time as you have to have to essentially record each cassette in four times, once for each track, but for me the results are well worth it

i go from the 4 track into 2 channels on a mixer then out of that directly into the mic socket on my pc into ableton, and if im recording onto the 4 track whilst jamming i just go the ever way round. i dont even use an extra soundcard thing

i done this recently : http://soundcloud.com/slatepipe

hussey

Post by hussey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 am

Really nice sounds, man. I think the tascam will definitely be a good acquisition.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:22 am

You have the connection part down fine for a single (stereo) track.

I think the issue you might have is if you wanted to send a track(full song length) out one at a time and then mix them together. With that you will have issues with tape speed fluctuations between tracks..

If you are working with loops go f*%$in nuts and align later. It you are using the entire track and you are processing each track one at a time then you will end up with an out of sync warbled mess. But, maybe that is what you are after, if so, I am not one to judge. If you just want to process the entire song then I suggest to record the entire mix onto two (stereo) tape tracks and then rerecording that.

I still get the feeling that this is all a bit like using a Commodore 64 to do image manipulation when you have Adobe CS5 sitting on a Macbook right next to you. Once I again, I am not one to judge, but may I suggest a simpler way?

Look, if your friend will be cool to let you borrow the tape deck because, lets face it, it ain't worth much more than $50, than give it a shot. It might me just the thing to get you focused and making music which for better or worse we are all here for.

Good Luck
Rich

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 am

I still have a Porta 01 sitting under my bed, but the motor belt needs to be replaced.
The main reason I'd replace it though is because it doesn't send out separate channels, so I had to do RCA stereo and record each track at a time.
And yes with speed fluctuations aligning can be a PITA.

For extra $$$ I'd go for an 8 track and make sure they send out separate channels, that way you don't have to do it one by one and putz with alignment. I got an Emu 1820m so it'd be wayyyy faster and easier to work 8 tracks at a time.

This is not an abstract idea at all and has become more popular. The whole "chillwave" (shudder) genre is based around this (ie Washed Out, Toro y moi)
ImageImage

hussey

Post by hussey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll just be using the tascam for loops. I won't be mixing down with the tascam, nor will I will be assigning full songs to it. I'll just be sending out sounds, loops, samples etc... (loops, sounds will be organized, and automated in Live) I have an external mixer for mixing down. I guess I should explain that i'm not making conventional stuff, poilshed sounding etc... I'm jus gonna be sending some field recordings, drones, etc... into it. Yes, i'm not using it in a conventional way i.e. not for mixing etc.. but I think my samples will definitely benefit from the sound of the tascam (tape hiss, compression, distortion etc...) I've listened to the tascam, i've seen his one, and I think it will be of great benefit, even if i won't be using it for mixing. My friend lives far, i'll be picking him up to collect it, so i can't really try it out.

flashy12

Post by flashy12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 pm

hussey wrote:Thanks, flashy. Did it have a decent sound? I'm still a bit unsure as to how the tascam will the detect the sound from Ableton. I'm aware i send the audio to my interface, and from there, into the tascam. How will I know which channel it's being assigned to? Is there multiple inputs on the tascam, or something like that? Sorry for asking such basic questions.
you will run 1/4 inch outputs from your interface output (like the monitor speaker outs) into two of the inputs on the tascam.

It's kinda funny, cause back in 2001 I would have loved to have access to a system like Ableton live 8 and the sound quality, and really hated having to deal with the tape hiss .

it was kinda like back then how there was a clear sound difference between home recording and pro studio recording in the actual sound quality.

Now there isn't it is all on ther person using the tools.

I only used tascam 4 track because I did not have access to anything better and now that I have ableton 8 I would never choose to go use a tascam porta 414 again.

It's like driving a Chevrolet Chevette for years, then somehow getting a Chevrolet Corvette, Why would you ever want to go back to a "Chevette" by choice?

The tascam 4-track "tape" sound is NOT the vintage analogue "warmth" that you might be thinking.

It is just lesser quality with more noise than going all digital in 2010/2011
http://www.BGBEATS.COM
"Make That Sound In Your Head,a Recorded Reality"

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 pm

:D :D :D

Geissler

Post by Geissler » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 am

Nice idea if you already have a tape deck lying around, but buying a portastudio is total overkill. If it's simple, easy and cheap tape sound you want, grab a used VCR recorder off craigslist. Make sure it can has audio inputs and outputs (usually via RCA) and usually models that say "hifi" are better, but it doesn't really matter. shouldn't cost you more than 20 euros.

hussey

Post by hussey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:33 pm

I got the Tascam today. Im very happy with it. There is a nice saturation from it. I appreciate the feedback. I payed 20 euros for it, so i'd rather have the options of pitch control, levels etc... than just a cassette deck. I know people have questioned the sound quality (hiss) but that's exactly what i'm looking for. I'm also going to be sending the samples out to some pedals.

Here is a link to the kind of sound i'm making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-BYNx_JZf8

As you can tell, it's about as polished as something out of a scrap yard. The Tascam has some sends, so I'll be hooking up some nice distortion pedals etc..

Geissler

Post by Geissler » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 pm

That's a great deal! Enjoy it!

polymer

Post by polymer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 am

these apps are just getting silly now

//www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/12/09/n ... -recorder/

hussey

Post by hussey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 am

I'm having difficulty getting audio from the Tascam into Ableton. Sound from Ableton is coming into the Tascam fine, but I can't get audio into Ableton. I have the line outs on the Tascam connected to the line ins on my nio interface. I have the the mono left and right hooked up to my speakers to hear playback, which I can hear fine. On the audio from section I have it assigned to the line ins on the nio. Can anyone help?

Destro

Post by Destro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:13 am

Hussey:

How's the portastudio working for you? Are you getting the sounds that you were after?

Also, have you sorted out the problem of sending the audio from the portastudio to ableton via your nio interface?