NI Voucher Free Synth which to choose

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonesonyou

NI Voucher Free Synth which to choose

Post by jonesonyou » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 pm

I have the Free Voucher, The options are

Absynth 5

Massive

FM8

Guitar Rig 4

I currently own Live 8 Suite, and a few free vsts.

Musically my sound can be heard on my soundcloud link in my sig.

My main focus is Electronic Dance.

doghouse

Re: NI Voucher Free Synth which to choose

Post by doghouse » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Massive will make you very happy

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:59 pm

doghouse wrote:Massive will make you very happy

Thanks, 1 vote for massive !

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm

They all have downloadable demos - why not try before buy first, this is the common sense option.

They are all great vsts, so it depends on what you already have and what sounds you're looking for.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 pm

leedsquietman wrote:They all have downloadable demos - why not try before buy first, this is the common sense option.

They are all great vsts, so it depends on what you already have and what sounds you're looking for.

ok leads, i will demo.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:02 am

Massive is an amazing synth. I use it in every single track I make.

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:21 am

Massive is awesome, but for some reason I am an Absynth nut hugger

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 am

I also love Absynth
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 am

I love both Absynth and Massive, do you want evolving pad sounds with a rather complicated interface, or thick lead and bass sounds with a more straightforward synthesis approach? because those are the respective strengths of the two.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:27 am

antarktika wrote:I love both Absynth and Massive, do you want evolving pad sounds with a rather complicated interface, or thick lead and bass sounds with a more straightforward synthesis approach? because those are the respective strengths of the two.
+1
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:20 am

i'm in my fm synthesis days, i vote for fm8, guitar rig is my number 2 and i hate absynth, sorry

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:00 pm

freshdrumma wrote:i'm in my fm synthesis days, i vote for fm8, guitar rig is my number 2 and i hate absynth, sorry

I have Operator, Do you get something from fm8 you can not get with operator?

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm

jonesonyou wrote:
freshdrumma wrote:i'm in my fm synthesis days, i vote for fm8, guitar rig is my number 2 and i hate absynth, sorry

I have Operator, Do you get something from fm8 you can not get with operator?
yes indeed,a lot of complexity like you can have in Absynth also.
basically you have more operators(8 osc,1 filter,1 noise,1 external in)more different FM algorithms(you can also create your own and save those),morphing,multi segment envelope generators.plus any operator can also modulate itself(which Live's Operator can only do when it's not being modulated by another or modulating another,sorry i forgot which one of those two it was...).with the external in operator you can use any input source as a modulator for other operators,and basically use it as an fx unit.

Live's Operator might not have all those options,it doesn't mean it's less powerful.

like Shelluser said,Absynth 5 can do fm synthesis as well,plus wavetable,sample/granular and has endless modulation possibilities.....it's just insane(ly powerful).
i vote Absynth for being THE best allround plugin i EVER used,still amazes me after 4 years of heavy use on a daily basis.this would be my desert island plugin.
having said that,it's also the plugin that made me scratch my head numerous times :"um,how the hell does THIS work?!?!?!"

like Leeds said,try the demos,see what you like best,then use what's the most fun and fuels your creativity like nothing else,and get to know that inside out.....

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Absynth
or GuitarRig4...

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm having the same debate right now....except I don't really need any of them. At the risk of hijacking, I am leaning towards absynth (I am more towards ambient), but my current question is whether absynth would add much on top of symptohm and alchemy, both of which seem roughly in the same genre, and neither of which I am yet using to anywhere near their potential? I will demo of course, but any advice is welcome.