Production Template.... what's in yours?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jkung

Production Template.... what's in yours?

Post by jkung » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:03 am

It seems that I am constantly refining my template to allow for the quickest workflow. I never have preloaded VSTi because I am afraid all my production will become lazy however i do have many empty simplers loaded.

My current template looks like this:

Track 1-8 drum tracks- Instrument rack preset with macros (start, end, vol attack, vol release, LPF, HPF, volume, transpose). After that, i have an audio effects rack with a macro set to the chain selector. In that effect rack i have beat repeat, phaser, ping pong delay, and auto filter. I use this to select drums and one shots.

Track 9- empty audio to cut longer samples

Track 10- 16- Midi tracks with the same effect rack in tracks 1-8.

In every track, i have an empty 4 and 8 bar clip. I am coming from an MPC so i am just used to the 4 bar or 8 bar loop to get ideas down. Having an empty clip defines the clip length and i can jam away without stopping the beat just like an MPC.

I have an APC40 that i am trying to integrate into my setup. I group the first 7 drum tracks so they map out nicely on my APC. When i need to go to my instrument tracks, its really simple to just page right to get to my next 8 tracks. This means even if i only use 4 drum tracks, i keep the 3 empty tracks just as place holders.

I rarely use my sends or pan controls. How have you used them or how have you remapped them in your production template? Maybe i can free up some device controls by putting my dynamics and eq sections up top.

Ok Live users.. what does your production template look like?

outershpongolia

Re: Production Template.... what's in yours?

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:08 am

It's 3 battery racks ( that I NEED to just load into drum racks)

and then Massive, Sylenth and Albino with their macro's, or common functions configured for quick tweaking..

but honestly, it might as well be the blank template cause I usually start from scratch..

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:03 am

6 Loopers! With 8 fx returns! Dang it is fun! I never record though . . . when I cut the power it all evaporates. And never the same twice.

rosti

Post by rosti » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 am

Drum rack with chain selectable (macro) kick and snare + some hi-hats & percs to start with.
2 x DiscoDSP Discovery
1 x TAL Bassline
1 x External instrument for Virus C
a Group track with 4 more external instruments for virus C

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:07 am

Nothing.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:18 am

I remember asking this Q once.. From the replies I got it struck m that we all work pretty much differently...

I just use the standard live opening template and work from there adding as and when the need arises.

Hd

gerard

Post by gerard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:27 am

My template:

4 tracks with GRig Pro
1 track with Kore
1 track with Maschine
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm

I've got two templates I use;

One OTT template with a massive multi sample drum rack, eq etc... A couple of tracks for random percussive audio loops. A bass track with chained synths and eq, two similar synth racks/chains.Guitar tarck with looper, FX peddles etc... FX.noises track with a few controller operated effect chains. Vox with similar FX chains.

Limiter set to -6db on master (speaker friendly)

reverb, delay + supatrigga/efectrix/beatrepeat fx chain on send 'B' as per the old magic sends style.

This utilises all my controllers (MK461, BCR2k, 2 x AKAI LPD8's, Launchpad and FCB10/10)

All tied to 8 tracks to keep it visible and Live performance/composition friendly
--------------------------------------------

The other template is for mobile laptop composition and has just one audio track, one midi and 2 x returns (reverb and delay). Limiter on the master at -6db (just to protect my ears basically). May use KeyMCE if I remember to.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:20 pm

None. If I was DJing I would set up a template for that situation, but I prefer to just do it ad-hoc as I don't want all my tracks to sound like they came from an automated machine, with the same racks, FX and so. For studio work you don't need a limiter on the master for speaker protection, if you make sure you do your gain staging correctly and leave plenty of headroom. I get why you would use it for live work though, given you're going to be cranking out the decibels.

It takes more time starting from blank but makes me think more and vary the sound palette more, than if I set up default templates - I rarely work to the clock though, so if I was setting this up for a client, or clients, with similar needs, then I would probably set up a template.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 pm

i always start from scratch and to be honest, never thought about using a template for producing. Saves you time i guess, but i am never pressed for time when making music, so it is something that doesn't worry me much.

cool to see what others are up to though

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm

leedsquietman wrote:None. If I was DJing I would set up a template for that situation, but I prefer to just do it ad-hoc as I don't want all my tracks to sound like they came from an automated machine, with the same racks, FX and so. For studio work you don't need a limiter on the master for speaker protection, if you make sure you do your gain staging correctly and leave plenty of headroom. I get why you would use it for live work though, given you're going to be cranking out the decibels.

It takes more time starting from blank but makes me think more and vary the sound palette more, than if I set up default templates - I rarely work to the clock though, so if I was setting this up for a client, or clients, with similar needs, then I would probably set up a template.
Limit's for my ears mainly as i'm relegated to headphones most of the time. less ouchy moments when the odd feedback loop 'accidently' manifests.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm

OK. Whatever works for YOU is always the best answer :wink:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jkung

Post by jkung » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 pm

i uploaded mine at gearslutz. not sure how to do that here http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip- ... ost6107466

if i learn how to upload here i will too.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Start from nothing each time - a template doesn't work for me/my work flow.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm

outershpongolia wrote: but honestly, it might as well be the blank template cause I usually start from scratch..
+1

I have been working on this for literally years and I find myself making elaborate templates to use with my controllers, then I find I actually end up doing things a lot more quickly if I just start from scratch….

I often end up deleting the template file and going back to the default one, then gradually adding little bits until it becomes bloated and makes Live take a good minute longer to load, so I trash it again….and so the cycle continues……