Wikileaks craziness

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mikemc

Re: Wikileaks craziness

Post by mikemc » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 pm

^I mostly agree, here's why: it is so much information to digest, that the only people who will take the time to do so will be the ones who are paid to summarize such things and/or who have an agenda. So it will all end up getting spun this way and that.

Also, the whole thing is almost exactly like the movie: "Harriet the Spy", and will probably turn out much the same way.
davepermen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xLyoc9DxU

everything about wikileaks in one animation :) (i love those news)
:lol: :lol: at the part with the Canadian guy with the bazooka.

[edit] one aspect to note: while the emphasis of wikileaks has been that the US is being more dishonest about its dealings than the George Washington archetype would be, the cables themselves provide significant insight into how nasty some of these other governments really are.
Last edited by mikemc on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm shocked that none of you Uber Liberal Leftist Commie Anti-Government Anti-Corporation Hippies have really come out swinging in support of Wikileaks and Jullian Assange.

There's hope for all of you yet.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

crofter

Post by crofter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Who put the Ass in Assange anyway
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Frankly, ive been glued to reading the guardian. No time left posting or reading here the last 2 days. Its slowing down already, but it was intence and pretty funny to follow Anno Ops and the media. Both cnn and bbc was quick to respond, but guardian was quicker. Twitter first of corse, but I like to have it all on on site: the guardian is very good.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm

The most interesting thing to me about all the wikileaks document releases has been how realistic and accurate the reporting of diplomats and even military intelligence has been. It's the people at the top who make the decisions that I often disagree with, but for the most part they're getting accurate information.

Also, it's striking how much of the government's efforts and energy is spent on the post 9/11 focus on terrorism. The so-called whack-a-mole while neglecting long term strategic thinking about economic competitiveness.

necho

Post by necho » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I'm shocked that none of you Uber Liberal Leftist Commie Anti-Government Anti-Corporation Hippies have really come out swinging in support of Wikileaks and Jullian Assange.
because doing so would effectively be trolling you.

and trolling is bad.
_________
sigs suck.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Of course, long term strategic thinking about the economy is difficult when planning from a smoldering ruin because we decided that terrorism isn't that big of a deal. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Meanwhile gas prices have steadily been creeping up.

The oil industry thanks you for being distracted by government behavior that has been going on for millennia. Focus on that.

mayabong

Post by mayabong » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:21 pm

I think 911 was very suspicious, and the fact that Julian said that people who question 911 are annoying and they should stick to real conspiracy's kinda made me wonder who he's really working for.

I honestly think all this is happening as an excuse to regulate the internet from those evil boogyman terrorists. (you and me).

stonee

Post by stonee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

anybody human wrote:The most interesting thing to me about all the wikileaks document releases has been how realistic and accurate the reporting of diplomats and even military intelligence has been. It's the people at the top who make the decisions that I often disagree with, but for the most part they're getting accurate information.

Also, it's striking how much of the government's efforts and energy is spent on the post 9/11 focus on terrorism. The so-called whack-a-mole while neglecting long term strategic thinking about economic competitiveness.

thats sort of the terrifying thing that wiki leaks is uncovering. the information is all good, but the decisions are not. I think the whole decision making process needs to be made public so that people can understand, and hold people accountable.

like, all the countries getting up in an uproar because some diplomat dissed them. you're working in the the interest of the public, and dissing other countries under our breath is not really in our interest... they're decisions aren't really they're personal decisions, they're ours, and we have a right to know what we're doing.

I think with the cover taken off the machine so we can see how it really works gives us the people a good chance to balance the system.

that said, they do have to be a little more carful with sensitive tactical information. like the list of all the critical tactical points in canada that would cripple us as well as the states really didn't need to be published...

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:57 am

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:00 pm

WikiLeaks cables: Kim Jong-il son's idol Eric Clapton asked to perform in North Korea
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/de ... -wikileaks

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:17 am

beats me wrote:Meanwhile gas prices have steadily been creeping up.

The oil industry thanks you for being distracted by government behavior that has been going on for millennia. Focus on that.
that, pretty much

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 am

beats me wrote:Meanwhile gas prices and oil company profits have steadily been creeping up.

Just a wee bit of enhancement, laddie.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:17 am

mayabong wrote:I think 911 was very suspicious, and the fact that Julian said that people who question 911 are annoying and they should stick to real conspiracy's kinda made me wonder who he's really working for.

I honestly think all this is happening as an excuse to regulate the internet from those evil boogyman terrorists. (you and me).
I think 911 was suspicious too - even the way they chose to make it the date of the emergency services number to make people think "EMERGENCY" every time it's mentioned, and you might quite possibly be right about regulating the internet - it's certainly something most control freak governments would hate because it's so hard to control.

But to be the devil's advocate, I think Julian Assange is probably exactly the kind of guy who would be bombarded by every nutjob on the planet. It would probably get pretty tedious after the 20,000th email about evil reptilian aliens infiltrating the halls of power and planning 9/11.

Sadly I think life is a lot more boring than most people want to think. The evil reptilian infiltrators are really just boring old humans corrupted by boring old emotions like greed and lust for power and I reckon that's probably what he was getting at.

:mrgreen: