8GB of RAM on a MacBook Pro. Will I notice a big difference?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tobybennett

8GB of RAM on a MacBook Pro. Will I notice a big difference?

Post by tobybennett » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I just purchased Crucial 8GB DDR3 Memory for my MacBook Pro but I have yet to install it. Anyone out there that can tell me if I'll notice a difference in speed and multi-tasking? In 2008, I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB of RAM and I didn't really notice a big difference.

Thanks !!!!!

MPGK

Re: 8GB of RAM on a MacBook Pro. Will I notice a big difference?

Post by MPGK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Live is 32 bit only and therefore cannot address more than 4 GB of RAM by itself. Could be useful if you outsource though (Play engine for huge orchestral libraries etc.).

tobybennett

Post by tobybennett » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Now does that apply to all 32 bit apps?

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:00 pm

tobybennett wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Now does that apply to all 32 bit apps?
AFAIK: yes.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Never felt a need for more than 4GB here in my MBP, I barely use all of that even in complex sessions. More RAM is never really a BAD thing, but at the same time don't expect miracles, I'd be really surprised if you could notice a difference going from 4 to 8GB.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

tobybennett

Post by tobybennett » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 am

Yeah, I kinda figured that after doing some research. At least it isn't the dumbest thing I've spent $130 on. I use Logic 9 as well and I've been playing around with the 64 bit mode. I also run Fusion with Windows 7 for just a couple small things. Will it at least help with running apps in 64 bit? It's gotta be good for something. When I first bought my MBP, 8GB of RAM was $800 through Apple. (Summer 2009) I knew the prices would drop eventually, and $130 sounded good to me. I read an article in BPM I think on Junkie XL a couple years ago. He had a Mac tower running 16GB of RAM. What's the point if apps can't even access it? I know a just a bit about computer specs so keep that in mind if my questions sound redundant. thanks all......

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:32 am

tobybennett wrote:I read an article in BPM I think on Junkie XL a couple years ago. He had a Mac tower running 16GB of RAM. What's the point if apps can't even access it? I know a just a bit about computer specs so keep that in mind if my questions sound redundant. thanks all......
Like I said, makes sense if you outsource giant sample libraries. VSL instruments with dozens of samples per note take a lot of RAM and can address the full 4 GB when run separately, most people I know still even use a separate computer as a "sampler" for their film scoring stuff.