all the audio clicks and cracks in L8.2 normal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

all the audio clicks and cracks in L8.2 normal?

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:36 pm

I often run into situations where clips create clicks during playback,.this regardless of warpmode or even crossfade settings.. making the buffer bigger helps but.. no i have to work allways with a buffer > 600 samples to play a single kickdrumdrack wirhout click risk..

Anybody came along thos L8.2 phenomen? is it an Ableton/RME driver issue? or just an unrealized L8.2 bug?

it really sucks to wirjk wirth windows style latencys on a mac..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

fx23

Re: all the audio clicks and cracks in L8.2 normal?

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:12 pm

don't know if related, but i noticed that by default if drop a clip and set it's volume modulation to 0,
when you trig the scene it still creates peaks and clics at start, because there is still a first point in the curve that is set
to 1 (find it not very workflow friendly by the way).

also i don't want to start a mac-pc flamewar here but i can run 64 samples on Windows with a Tc electronic.
so does my friend having a RME, exept protools latency is about the same on windows and mac nowaydays no?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:35 pm

at least its not the same with ableton live..what hurts extremly badly because they do midi thru with the whole audio latency..

what a shitty bad stupid concept..because they wasnt ableton to get jitterfree midi as all the others they declared midi thru with latency as a good idea because the "user can better adjust to a fixed latency than to a jitter..."

pffff.. just do it without jitter i would say.. but no..it is as it is now..and will stay the crappy way becaue ableton users a willing to live with the most crappy implementations as lonng you fed them with shiny new features any year..

i am really pissed that this program really manages to badly effekt allmost any singel studio session since 20 month now..

we have end of 2010 and still bugs come along that make the studio milk sour..

They are really the FIAT of daw´s..

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:44 pm

3phase wrote: They are really the FIAT of daw´s..
lol

i just said "ferrari with no brakes" in another thread concerning automation.
ferrari bought fiat by the way..

let's wait L9, maybe a good revision.

Hoffoman

Post by Hoffoman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 pm

3phase wrote:I often run into situations where clips create clicks during playback,.this regardless of warpmode or even crossfade settings.. making the buffer bigger helps but.. no i have to work allways with a buffer > 600 samples to play a single kickdrumdrack wirhout click risk..

Anybody came along thos L8.2 phenomen? is it an Ableton/RME driver issue? or just an unrealized L8.2 bug?

it really sucks to wirjk wirth windows style latencys on a mac..
I am on a macbook pro here and I don't have this problem. Buffer-size 128 with no probs

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:18 pm

fx23 wrote:
lol

really? do you know the movie brazil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNnRBksvOU

and to hoffoman.. sometimes it works with 128 too..but than the cracking starts eventually and only cure is to change to very high buffer szises than ..and from this point you better dont want to add a few extra lines via midi ...

L8.14 dont shows this behaviour and in relation with the other strange RME samprate settings problem i had yesterday it really smells a bit like some ableton<>Rme driver trouble... at least booth phenomens just occur with the latest version of Live.. however this strange samplerates RME offers look a bit Brazil like too..

what are they good for?

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:32 pm

iv maid typo i meant fiat bought ferarri.
yeah brazil rocks. good extract.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:39 pm

RME has a version 2.88 out now !! they update theire drivers every few weeks wright now.. good on the one side..but it does actually point to some RME homemade problems too..

i will update the driver and see what happens than..

Hoffoman

Post by Hoffoman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 pm

3phase wrote:
fx23 wrote:
lol

really? do you know the movie brazil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNnRBksvOU

and to hoffoman.. sometimes it works with 128 too..but than the cracking starts eventually and only cure is to change to very high buffer szises than ..and from this point you better dont want to add a few extra lines via midi ...

L8.14 dont shows this behaviour and in relation with the other strange RME samprate settings problem i had yesterday it really smells a bit like some ableton<>Rme driver trouble... at least booth phenomens just occur with the latest version of Live.. however this strange samplerates RME offers look a bit Brazil like too..

what are they good for?
It sounds like a driver issue mate. I just never get this kind of problem unless I am maxing out the cpu, and I run my mixes for hours without problems.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Hoffoman wrote:
It sounds like a driver issue mate. I just never get this kind of problem unless I am maxing out the cpu, and I run my mixes for hours without problems.
but this dont says anything with L8.. from the beginning it was working fine on some machines and crashing all over thge place on others.. all ableton betattesters have pro books..so that the only hardware base the software rus with less problems.. ok.. on the try to fox it for the others the pro book guys had problems than too.. fair enough :-)

just would really kike to dont have top deal with this kind of shit when i am into keyboard playing mood..

i just got logic 6 on a pre intell mac up again. that seems to just work..

the newer logic versions are not troublefree either :-/ however more predictable..while with live its allways something different.. its really alive somehow..

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:19 am

3phase wrote:They are really the FIAT of daw´s..
both my FIAT and my DAW work perfectly well. you fail at analogies :)

3phase wrote:all ableton betattesters have pro books..so that the only hardware base the software rus with less problems
but not all with the same generation. and you once raised the discussion about yours being a generation that has problems. have you tried by now a different macbook? i mean, you talked about that over a year ago.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.