Freeze/Copy and Paste.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Gregory Wells-King

Freeze/Copy and Paste.

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm

I like to chuck this idea in and will continue to do so as I think it's really helpful and I use it all the time now, with almost no issues.

Some Vsti's wont respond to this gesture, but on the whole they do.

Did you know you can, freeze a midi track. sellect a clip from that track, choose copy, move over to an empty audio clip and choose paste, it will instantly change it to a flattend audio clip.

You can then go back to your original midi master, unfreeze and have all you original midi work left intact.

You can also just pull the clips from the flattend midi track over to the audio track and this will do it also, but you of course loose your original midi clip.

Some people don't quite het why this is helpful, but since I learnt how to do it, I found it has increased my work flow, by at least 25%..

Happy Day's... :D

P>S Sorry for the poor spelling in previous blogg
Last edited by Gregory Wells-King on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Northern Contingent

Re: Freeze/Copy and Paste.

Post by The Northern Contingent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Cheers for this - this is going to save a whole load of time resampling MIDI to audio. Nice one mate!
:D

lkj

Post by lkj » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:26 am

ya this is cool. I realized you can't freeze a track with a compressor though. That sux but other then that this is so effecient

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:22 pm

I realized Flatten to audio was there from a long time and only discover the joy of using it.
I havn't tried to simply copy as you said, THANKS a lot for the tip :D
No need to flatten the whole track now, YES! :twisted:

buzby

Post by buzby » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:42 pm

lkj wrote:ya this is cool. I realized you can't freeze a track with a compressor though. That sux but other then that this is so effecient

you should be able to freeze and flatten a track with a compressor in it just as long as the sidechain function is not enabled

:)
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Thought I would add that it's all much more sound in Live 8.2 works all the time.

I added this to jostle the tip up to the top of the forum again for new members to view it.. :mrgreen:

NB: No need to flatten a midi track to audio, just pick the midi clip up and pull it over to an audio track for an instant fix.

NB2: Copy and pasting the clip to an audio track also works. and preserves the original midi clip for future modification.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:09 pm

To freeze and flatten a track with a side chain compressor I just copy the compressor then cut the compressor freeze and flatten the track then paste the compressor on to the now empty effects chain. Ok so you still have CPU of the compressor but it's a work around of sorts. Doesn't work on the trigga track though. Or suppose you could set up a track set to IN put a side chain compressor on it and route all tracks you want ducked to that track.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

fl0w

Post by fl0w » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:18 am

Gregory Wells-King wrote:NB: No need to flatten a midi track to audio, just pick the midi clip up and pull it over to an audio track for an instant fix.

NB2: Copy and pasting the clip to an audio track also works. and preserves the original midi clip for future modification.
This doesn't seem to work in the latest version of Live, what am I doing wrong?

buzby

Post by buzby » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:11 pm

fl0w

freeze the midi track first then either copy and paste, or alt drag (mac) and drop the midi clip in the frozen track to an audio track and you will get a audio file .. and in both instances preserve your midi clip

:)
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

fl0w

Post by fl0w » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

OK, the message suggested (aka I've misread it ^^) that it was possible in 8.2 without freezing...
Anyway that's a nice suggestion for Live 9 :D

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Not if you read the original post, I was bumping the tip to the top of the pile in the forum, because I know it's not the sort of thing you would know you could do without stumbling upon it, or reading it witin the forum, I can't remember where I heared it first but I always new it would likely be a sticky for the forum, It's hould be really or get a bigger tip point in the manual, tip boxes would perhaps be an improvement for the manual, and yes a non freeze render from midi to audio, but I don't think the computer would know what you are doing really, though it's possible, (I dunn know) you could be making a misstake though?? :)

Pugface

Post by Pugface » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:00 pm

you should also add that its best to leave freeze tracks on their own as empty tracks. as the whole content of the track gets frozen with all its clips and it can take ages. just make empty freeze tracks then you can just pop midi clips in to them when you need to.
If only computers switched on and behaved themselves.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:59 pm

If I'm need to freeze a long, constant loop of midi from arrangement I find its best to drop the desired loop into session view and freeze it there taking much less time.

If I need to freeze side chained fx such as auto filter and compressor I duplicate the track, delete all the fx from the duplicated track and freeze/flatten it. Then use the resulting audio with the original fx.

If you have an old broken tv and a toaster you can combine the both and make a microwave that makes toast.

Pugface

Post by Pugface » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:47 pm

try sticking the track outside the back door over-night. its colder than the fridge out there :lol:
If only computers switched on and behaved themselves.

Clara James

Post by Clara James » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:33 am

It is cool and you can freeze it with compressor.