How To Produce Rich Evolving Sounds?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
szeno

How To Produce Rich Evolving Sounds?

Post by szeno » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi all!

I've been wondering for awhile -

What are the techniques to create long rich evolving sounds? I mean evolving as in sounding continuous and sounding totally different from one point to the next!

Listening to songs like r3hab's remix of burning love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgBKILTj0t4 (DOPE SONG!), especially parts when the background evolves into other sections, it just sounds so seamless (and different at the same time! like it cannot be produced from just one synth patch.. i don't know if i'm making sense here).

How is this normally achieved? Do I have to somehow make a synth that will sound like that over time? Or just a few different synths combined together? I'm still pretty clueless as to the "good" practice.

littlepig

Re: How To Produce Rich Evolving Sounds?

Post by littlepig » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

I think in this case the different sounds and instruments are on different tracks and they are brought in an out of the mix.

Is this what people consider to be a good song these days? I amde it about half way through then gave up, sounded like loads of noises cut together to me.

PS proud to be grumpy

szeno

Post by szeno » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:03 pm

haha it's an epic dance track to me.

anyway, are there better options than crossfading the clips?

esky

Post by esky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:23 pm

littlepig wrote:I think in this case the different sounds and instruments are on different tracks and they are brought in an out of the mix.

Is this what people consider to be a good song these days? I amde it about half way through then gave up, sounded like loads of noises cut together to me.

PS proud to be grumpy
+1 :) ...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

+2

I gave up as soon as the vocal came in.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Epic dance track my arse!

This is terrible. But yeah, this is not one rich evolving sound, it's many tracks being mixed.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

djphenaproxima

Post by djphenaproxima » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Where exactly are the "evolving" sounds? All I hear is a lot of effects and snippets that have been stuffed through a looper/sampler.

Hoffoman

Post by Hoffoman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

That was fucking horrible. I couldn't make it to the end. I don't hear any of the continuous rich evolving sounds either.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Isn't that a Hoover with the pitch adjusted @ minute 2:00. Then there is a white noise with I think a high pass filter with the cutoff being adjusted, then the quick sharp sound is a saw(?) with a pitch upward on the attack.

Nothing really evolving or complex there.

szeno

Post by szeno » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 pm

maybe that's why we have music genres. anyway, i want to figure how to produce such effect.

djphenaproxima/hoffoman/pulsoc: I may have used the wrong word. To be more precise, i meant the rotor-ish background that stretches/compresses/fluctuates and how it "connected" so well when the vocal kicks in, it's like vanishing into the mist.

pulsoc: yes, i'm trying to figure out what people actually do to make that happen. sometimes i think that people employ complex tricks lol!