Pretty long beta huh?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Pretty long beta huh?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

They probably decided last minute to throw in clip envelope automation so it's taking a little extra time....

:P
Professional Shark Jumper.

smaucher

Re: Pretty long beta huh?

Post by smaucher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:03 pm

pff...dream on, pal!
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm

smaucher wrote:pff...dream on, pal!
No really, I think they only just noticed that some people want to be able to record clip automation. I'm sure it's not that hard, they just didn't know people wanted it before the last few dozen threads... So they're probably just adding that now... as we speak... just a small tweak to the codebase...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:46 pm

4 years of using Live and I still don't what people are complaining about.

My work around: Never run into a situation where you need it.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:00 pm

@ glitchrock. they didn't just noticed it, they know from V3-V4 or so, from 2002 to be more precise.

before those last threads there were same threads years ago, with lot of users invested in.
People have let down complaning cause we never seen a tiny moves from them. When you ask for years and see no answers you let down. that's why i personnally hammer back. We absolutely need that and need to fight for it.
beats me wrote: My work around: Never run into a situation where you need it.
sorry beats me, i respect the fact you don't need it if you personally work in arrange.
but how do you create your music, if the goal is to play a final liveset, major live feature at start no?

actually you have only 3 possibilities:

_ draw like stone ages.
_ rec in arrange and manually copy each param for each clip, each track.
_ freeze as audio with no backward possibilities

none of the 3 provides a descent worklow, they are total pain vs what autom to session would allow.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:22 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:They probably decided last minute to throw in clip envelope automation so it's taking a little extra time....
It's one month past the longest release cycle ever, Live 8 took 17 months, it's 18 as of now for 9. My guess is some time after February, but not too close to the end up the upgrade sale, so probably more like a March announcement, beta until the end of summer almost. This would at least give the impression they're trying to release a bug free upgrade.

Who knows it Clip Automation will be part of it? Honestly all the complaints about bugs will probably reduce the chances of that happening this cycle as it's obviously going to take a lot of code mangling to implement something like that. My guess is a revised file bowser, some better hooks between Arrangement and Session, a few new plug ins, Racks upgraded, and comping. Stuff that doesn't shake the foundation.

Would love to be wrong and watch them announce clip automation, detachable windows, OSC support, and user assignable global keyboard shortcuts, but I doubt it.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Would love to be wrong and watch them announce clip automation, detachable windows, OSC support, and user assignable global keyboard shortcuts, but I doubt it.
I would like to see that your previous statements......a revised file bowser, some better hooks between Arrangement and Session, a few new plug ins, Racks upgraded, and comping. Stuff that doesn't shake the foundation.

Considering Rack Upgrades includes storing Macro Values in some preset fashion and recalling them via PC number in the clip.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 pm

fx23 wrote:@ glitchrock. they didn't just noticed it, they know from V3-V4 or so, from 2002 to be more precise.

before those last threads there were same threads years ago, with lot of users invested in.
:lol:

No seriously, they never knew. I emailed them the other day and said "look here's an idea, recording clip automation!" and they were all "Huh, what do you mean? We've never heard of such a thing", and I'm all "But check it out, people are asking this month" and directed them to the thread and they were like "Hey that's a neat idea, we've never thought of that, maybe we'll slip it in to 8.2". For this reason I believe they might be working on it. :wink:

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:57 pm

hehe ok lol , i wondered if you were sarcastic or no ;)
@Machines i hope you are wrong too...

I mean they can't come and present us 2 years of work with only a bug free updte with tiny adds and others 3partys.
You think with the actual L8 debacle they will ask people to pay again, just to get a stable version with a saxophone
and a multiband sidechain? na, they d better come with a rock solid worklow oriented L9, as tons of users requested.

every version had it's huge features, being midi in V4, MP3 and fxRacks in V5, video and instrument racks in V6, 64 bits audio
engine and drumracks in V7, M4L and Bridge in V8.

now the only missing "big" feature is autom to session, and im confident they bring it in L9, as well as osc and comping.
otherwise ill blame them the rest of my life..

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Well now that you've caught on ( :wink: ) I'll come clean and admit that i don't actually believe they will add clip automation recording in the next release of live.
I'm sure they'll address many other requests and undoubtedly add some nifty features we hadn't though of but I think they will squeeze at least one more modified version of the current build before a complete rewrite. And they have said it would take a complete rewrite to add recording clip automation. I just can't see them doing that right after adding max for live and the bridge. These are external companies with products connecting to live. Would thy really do that whole thing again and force these partners to have to integrate with a completely new version so soon after they were introduced? I don't think so. I would even guess at a couple more versions before the rewrite...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:32 pm

@glitchrock-buddha
On that line I doubt the next version is 64 bit, considering Serrato and M4L will both have to be to work properly I would guess.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
smaucher wrote:pff...dream on, pal!
No really, I think they only just noticed that some people want to be able to record clip automation. I'm sure it's not that hard, they just didn't know people wanted it before the last few dozen threads... So they're probably just adding that now... as we speak... just a small tweak to the codebase...
with max for live they showed us that they can change the codebase virtually over night when they only want..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:44 pm

@glitchrock
you are probably right. :roll:

'live X' sounds also a better advertising technique for a rewrite product by the way, L9 being the end cycle..
that 's my worst actual nightmare, to wait again 3 years or more...

but who knows, maybe they aren't dumb as we think they are, and they anticipated the transition from a while.
as there are 2 solutions to rec to session:

_ a full exact same system than arrange with the two layers build in clips.(ideal but groundshaking)
_ or simply drive midi CC in to actual clips modulation if a certain mode is engaged.

the second possibility is fairly doable for them natively without huge foundations shaking.
those curves are stored somewhere, they just have to make a system to drive midi to them,
i can't see what would be so hard in that, and i don't see why it would create some pbs.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 pm

3phase wrote:with max for live they showed us that they can change the codebase virtually over night when they only want..
with deep regret I will bite on this comment. The difference (I'm guessing...) is that adding in M4L does not cause any backwards compatibility issues, as Live is wrapped around M4L in a way that M4L becomes a subset of Live. M4L controls Live without changing any of Live's global architecture. Recording clip automation in session view opens up compatibility issues due to the automation layer already existent in the arrangement view.

I submit the hypothesis that this is the same reason that audio send/receive between tracks was not included in M4L. Yes, I just submitted a hypothesis! Bully for me!!
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Machinesworking wrote:@glitchrock-buddha
On that line I doubt the next version is 64 bit, considering Serrato and M4L will both have to be to work properly I would guess.
Who cares about serato? - they should switch to traktor :p
Nothing to see here - move along!