Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djalexclark

Re: Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Post by djalexclark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Ableton in 64 bit
Videos in session view!
Video effects!
Effect: Subharmonic enhancer (like dbx 120A)
Effect: Tape saturator simulator
More range in Autofilters (<26 Hz for hi-pass filter) Consider 20 Hz.
More range in the Gate Treshold. (>-40 dB).
More (Hz) range in 3 band Equalizer
An improved ring modulator (like NI Traktor's)
If a MIDI controller is disconected on a PC, have the option to just plug it again and recover it.
Improve auto warping.
A Key detector for clips. So you can review the key of the clip and the effect when you twist the key/tone parameter on it.
Improve file management (like itunes kind of thing: atributes, tags, playlits, etc.)
Effect: Scratch, Stop, Spin back, Reverse (on the fly). Without using The Bridge.
"Consolidate" function with automations.

djalexclark

Post by djalexclark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 pm

I beleive, a Session to Arrangement (and viceversa) kind of translator will be an excelent idea.
i.e. If I made a Song in Arrangement, I perform the "translation" function and that could be interpreted into Clips, scenes and following actions.

It's hard to have perfect but could save time in the creative flow, at least you just do small adjustments instead of working from scratch.

djalexclark

Post by djalexclark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:02 pm

An infinite sustain like: Electro Harmonix pedal: Freeze.

Not the freeze that exist in the reverb, that just freezes the effect, and is not an infinite sustain.
Last edited by djalexclark on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Talking about the automation in session view again, I was thinking that if they can't do that, then at least make it so that when using envelopes in session, you can move it up instead of only down.

Like if I have something set to 20% in the rack and go to use an envelope to bring it up to whatever, I can't because it's always already at 100% no matter what is set on the rack.
http://www.buythis.ecrater.com/
eBay user name: cbrducati

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 pm

A Solo Button for the Library Area for auditioning samples. (If there is already a function like this ... do tell :)

1. With Library Solo Button you could audition and play arrangement at the same time.
2. With Library Solo Button you could 'mute' the entire arrangement and still listen to the sample/loop playing from the Library.
3. With Library Solo Button you could switch between the two states (1. & 2.) on the fly.

djalexclark

Post by djalexclark » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Jome7 wrote:Talking about the automation in session view again, I was thinking that if they can't do that, then at least make it so that when using envelopes in session, you can move it up instead of only down.

Like if I have something set to 20% in the rack and go to use an envelope to bring it up to whatever, I can't because it's always already at 100% no matter what is set on the rack.
And the ability of automate any global parameters something like the envelope for clips/tracks but to apply global. I know you can do a MIDI track and send CC information, but if that is already mapped to a MIDI controller, it behaves weird.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Something that is very important for me (and perhaps for more users):

- multiple core support when rendering to wav/aiff

At this moment it takes very slow with projects featuring CPU-consuming plugins, such as Aether, for instance. By utilising at least two CPU cores the rendering process would be 2x faster!

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

tigali

Post by tigali » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Stability first, it's a real pain in the arse having to download updates so many times when my internet speed is midband. I know internet speed is not abletons concern but would it be too much to ask that we only need 2 or 3 updates per version?? I think I downloaded 6 versions of Live 8 (and I skipped a bunch of updates).

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:20 pm

+1 tigali

I can't understand this at all but perhaps we're applying logic to a situation that doesn't have any.

I gave up reporting bugs a long time ago.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 am

cacti wrote:- Tabbed sets like in photoshop, easily switch between two or more sets.
Yes, yes, and furthermore... yes.

Live's not very good for using Live when you can only play one song, then have to load another while the audience/band stand around like lemons!

In reality you have to make a big "super set" with all the songs in; often mine end up with at least 100 tracks in. Very scary if something doesn't happen and you need to find it fast! Also if you want to change set order on a different night, or play a different song instead one night, you need lots of different pre-made "super sets" to use different nights.

If it means I have to have some latency when changing: so be it, but going through "recently used" on stage (which means having to un-fullscreen too) is a PITA.
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 am

Simple Midi LFO, without needing MAX 4 Live! :D

Optional bonus> Step Seqence Midi LFO

Its all I really need, after session automation record of corce!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:45 am

+1 to all the january 2011 posts above me.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:51 am

Some of these are more "changes" and not really features

- x64 version

- Pan readouts NEXT to the pan (The current location is downright, retarded...)

- Ability to change the Font size of the text in the program

- Phase flip button on channels

- Ability to remove the grid box on the mixer view as well as the timeline/overall view above that (when you get A LOT of tracks it starts to mess with the mixer and starts resizing itself automagically and I'm not a fan of that at all.)

- Some way of organizing VST's that doesnt involve some convoluted work around

- Customizable themes (ability to color anything the way you want too, not just pick from some cookie cutter themes) That ableton skin editor was a great idea, but horribly layed out & implimented..

- Some kind of performance meter like Reaper has where you can see how many effects are running and what percentage of CPU each of them are taking up on tracks.

- Being able to select multiple clips and put fades on them all at once.. As of now, you have to do them one by one.. Huge time waster.

- Some kind of comping feature where it folds out like the automation lanes do..

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head...

martinkellogs

Post by martinkellogs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 am

a strip down version of Live 9 with no effects,instruments,samples,lessons for a lesser price would suit my needs.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:32 am

dbfs wrote: - Some kind of performance meter like Reaper has where you can see how many effects are running and what percentage of CPU each of them are taking up on tracks.
Hire the Reaper developer! Up the competition.