Most comfortable studio headphones

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tinymachines

Most comfortable studio headphones

Post by tinymachines » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey everyone, I searched and there were a quite a few threads on studio headphones, but there wasn't one specifically about the most comfortable pairs.

I mix for roughly about 8 hours on end, and 90% of my work has to be done through phones because I live with people. My ears get uncomfortable very quickly with most headphones. (Not ear fatigue, just uncomfortable like someone wearing a baseball cap one day that doesn't normally wear one.) Right now I'm in a pair of AKG K240s, which leave me hurting and taking them off and one frequently after about an hour of mixing or just composing. To be fair, these are more comfortable than the last pair I had, which were atrocious, and ALL in-ear phones hurt me almost immediately. (even though I would never use them for mixing.)

I'm planning on upgrading next month, but I'm having trouble finding headphones I am pretty certain I will be comfortable in.
The Sennheiser HD650s originally intrigued me because they are the top of the line. But I've heard reports the the 590s and 595s are more comfortable than the 650s. Is this true. Does anyone else have the problem I have, but found a pair that work pretty well, and you feel comfortable all day in them? Are the top of the line AKGs any better? There is no way I'm going to invest $400 into some cans that give me a pinching feeling after half an hour. I don't have HUGE ears, but they aren't small either. Proportionally, they are on the large size. Not to the point where any kid in school ever made fun of them though, so I don't think they are THAT big.

Any help is appreciated, including a potential place in Austin where I could try out different pairs instead of just taking others' advice. I kind of look at headphones like glasses. Every person needs slightly different shape and size to stay comfortable.

parma

Re: Most comfortable studio headphones

Post by parma » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 pm

probably the most comfy cans I've ever had:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headp ... 675b1be4d/

Every single Sennheiser I've tried/owned has left my ears feeling scrunched

Rampus

Post by Rampus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 pm

I doubt you'll ever find anything more comfortable than the AKG's you already have. Comfortwise, I have no problem wearing them for a whole day.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:39 pm

I have the audio technics m50's also and I love them but TBH, they are not the most comfortable.. the ear padding is made out of some vinyl sort of material.. Sony MDR-700's are beter comfort wise and can be used for mixing if it can't be avoided (mixing with cans)

I don't know if they are considered headphones for studio use but I have Pioneer HDJ-2000 and the padding is like memory foam.. really comfortable..

but best advice is to go out and try them.. everyone has different size heads..

IP

Post by IP » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Rampus wrote:I doubt you'll ever find anything more comfortable than the AKG's you already have. Comfortwise, I have no problem wearing them for a whole day.
+1!! 240mk2 here .. very very conformable even after many hours of use! very clean and nice sounding also!

tinymachines

Post by tinymachines » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Does anyone know stores that let you try out expensive headphones, and keep these types in stock?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:09 pm

I use audio technica ath-m40fs cans and I love them. I can wear them all night comfortably.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:39 pm

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 am

also, closed-back designs will often be less comfortable for long sessions because they clamp your head tighter to provide a better noise seal.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 am

In terms of pure comfort, my HD25's are really nice. They're lightweight and come with velour pads for the earpad, so your ears don't get all hot and sweaty. Also the split headband means they don't slide off and yet don't press hard on your head, I can barely tell they're there most of the time.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:17 am

I guess its a case of what comfortable for one person might not be for someone else.

The AKG240 is considered by many people to be about the most fatigue free and comfortable pair of cans there is.
Nothing to see here - move along!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 am

AT are the best value for money but are definitely not comfortable, same with Sony 7509 - anyway no closed headphones are healthy to wear for such long periods like you intend to, that would eliminate HD25 as well, though light they can be tiring used extensively not to mention that if you forced not to use monitors, open headphones are much better choice. HD 25, excellent for tracking and live use are great choice to pair with open headphones but not as only cnas you use. Sony 7509 are the best allrounder, good for both, tracking and mixing
If you want quality and comfort there are 3 brands to choose from/their top models - Beyerdynamic 990 Pro, AKG 701,702 and Sennheiser 600, 650. The AKGs might be the most outstanding for the sound but least comfortable while Sennheiser are overall easiest on the ears. However everyones skull is different so anyof the 3 models might feel more comfortable for you than other but you cant go wrong choosing any of the 3.
If money is no issue - get Sennheiser 800 - winner in all aspects.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:25 am

^^ I have the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's. They are lovely. Not that I have tried them against the others mentioned, but my impression is that they are on the bright side sound wise.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 am

the "top of the line" models are not necessarily the best for mixing work.

i haven't tried them, but tests show that the Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros are both a bit hyped. the HD 600 and DT 880 Pro are both flatter.

my new DT 880 Pros (the 250 ohm version) have just this minute arrived at my doorstep, unboxing now...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:02 am

All headphones are hyped !!! Especially in the low end and around 10 Khz.

I have Senn HD650s ans they are the most comfortable cans i have. Any closed back headphone is going to give you sore ears after a couple of hours of continuous use.

I would be careful with blanket statements such as HD650s and DT990s are coloured - they are among the most common cans in high end studios, who would not use crap and where is the testing to substantiate this. I've used Senn HD600s and my opinion is that they are not more neutral or better than HD650s. In this price range the AKG 701 is worth considering and note, these are open backed headphones, so no good for tracking.

I love audio technicas for tracking and some mixing, but I have owned ath-m40fs and ath-m50 and neither are comfortable for extended listening periods, which is one of the few negatives about them, but they are no more uncomfortable than any closed back headphone.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.