noisy neighbour

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
monked

noisy neighbour

Post by monked » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:18 pm

so, i've moved into a new flat in london, (victorian conversion) and my neighbour above plays his tv really loud all day and night. I can hear every word on his tv and can't concentrate on music in the slightest. I went up there to talk to him about it and he wouldnt even open his door, basically told me to f off. Think I've got some bad karma somewhere down the line!

Bought some hd280 cans hoping they would help but i can still hear everything. I cant move out for 12 months and am stressed out to the max right now.

What shall i do?, and don't say poison him with a cup of tea cos i'm seriously tempted!?

Warrior Bob

Re: noisy neighbour

Post by Warrior Bob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:59 pm

I don't know how it is in London, but here in a small-town apartment complex in the USA, standard procedure is to knock and ask them to turn it down, and if you get a response like that, call the police and report a noise violation.

I've never been asked for the numbers, but just in case, I keep a cheapo SPL meter on hand so I can say things like "oh yeah, his TV is 95 decibels, as heard from my couch."

Best of luck :(

monked

Post by monked » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:14 am

over here the police will only get involved if its between the hours of 11pm-7am, as its a disturbance of the peace. Looked into it a bit more tonight - basically, i have to report him to my local council who require that i purchase an spl meter as you mentioned, and then keep a daily log of his noise activities for a few weeks. Then they will write him a letter and ask him nicely to keep it down. Not too optimistic :(

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:19 am

get a sub woofer and turn it up. Then when he knocks on your door you can bargain with him. But then if he has his telly on that loud he's probably deaf as a post. My mum has her telly on painfully loud and has no idea how loud it is.

I'd just see it as an excuse to crank the volume yourself.

monked

Post by monked » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

ha, yeah a sub's an option - Seriously though, i've tried the sound war thing already, he's really not bothered how much noise i make. I've nearly blew my monitors once already this week trying to play that game with him.

Of course its great when i really need to crank it, but when i need to work on something quietly, edit sounds or just play a bit of guitar/keys its a bit annoying when you've got some nasty tv or blaring grime music blasting down from above you

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 am

alex.the.forge wrote:get a sub woofer and turn it up. Then when he knocks on your door you can bargain with him. But then if he has his telly on that loud he's probably deaf as a post. My mum has her telly on painfully loud and has no idea how loud it is.

I'd just see it as an excuse to crank the volume yourself.
and create hell for the other 12 innocent neighbours? pretty sure a volume war isn't the best idea. I'm sorry I don't have any better ideas either. I live in Canada and like the States if this is a continuous disturbance you can complain to the police.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:04 am

This is a bad situation & I really feel for you. Definitely log the incidents & all interaction with the offender. Relying on the authorities to solve the problem can be a very frustrating experience because it usually takes time & they have limited power in situations like this. Get your landlord involved.

Maybe sublet the flat? May even have to negotiate breaking the lease. This might be easier to do if you can find someone to rent the place out so that the landlord doesn't experience a loss of income: make it appealing to the landlord to let you go. So start looking for a new place & a substitute tenant for your current place.

Having to sign a 12 month lease after being given maybe 30 minutes max to experience the living conditions of a prospective rental is absolutely absurd. :x

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:50 am

Get a super loud hifi system (or hire a concert PA like they use at Glastonbury etc) with a fuck off subwoofer, put it as close to the dividing wall as you can with the speakers pointing at the wall and play Venetian Snares (the loudest RMS music, even louder than Metallica's Death Magnetic) at a volume which can cause an earthquake and snap San Francisco into the sea. Fight fire with fire and then the f***** might get the point and turn down his tv.

Or buy an electric violin and wire it up to a marshall stack on 11 and get lessons on how to play it (super loud fingers down blackboard scraping effect).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:48 am

Either that or just punch the twat.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:03 pm

shitarse situation

try recording the noise he makes then play it back loudly for long periods of time

have you met him/her? knocking on the door until they answer and asking nicely is probably going to be the best option

or knocking on the door and crying when they answer might work

or call the noise abatement people

where in london are you anyway? just as a matter of interest

there's carol singers in the street outside my house at the moment, singing 'away in a manger'
:x wankers

Poop_Smear

Post by Poop_Smear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Hell...this one has an EZ solution. Here's what you do: Go out and buy yourself a mess of collard greens and put 'em in a big pot of water and let 'em steam all day. Since this fuckwad lives above you, he'll be the beneficiary of the dank, rank and skanky fumes that will rise. I guarantee you that after a day or so of inhaling those noxious vapors, you'll be able to negotiate a reasonable solution. Take it from me because I am afterall....the Fart Nazi and I am a mystic on the topic of funky gaseous effluents. :lol:
Uncle Meat

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Check the fine print in your letting agreement. It might contain a line that says that you have the right "enjoy the premises in peace" or some such wording - in which case you might have a case for terminating the agreement.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:01 pm

play some masonna real loud (although Leedsquetman's idea of Venetian Snares is also good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XWmlZGe6gI

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:38 pm

MacGuffin wrote:play some masonna real loud (although Leedsquetman's idea of Venetian Snares is also good)

holy shit that's brutal!
yea that'd do the trick

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:19 pm

garyboozy wrote:
MacGuffin wrote:play some masonna real loud (although Leedsquetman's idea of Venetian Snares is also good)

holy shit that's brutal!
yea that'd do the trick
yeah... japanese noise is kinda hard to beat lol