noisy neighbour

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Warrior Bob

Re: noisy neighbour

Post by Warrior Bob » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:06 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Get a super loud hifi system (or hire a concert PA like they use at Glastonbury etc) with a fuck off subwoofer, put it as close to the dividing wall as you can with the speakers pointing at the wall and play Venetian Snares
Do this except:

- Bolt the subwoofer to the ceiling
- Play Venetian Snares at 1/8 speed and with a swing groove and "beats" warping mode
- Leave for the weekend

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Take up playing bagpipes :lol:

Poop_Smear

Post by Poop_Smear » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Another option is to bolt a burlap swingset seat to the ceiling and give your girlfriend a Vienamese SpinFuck....with great regularity. :mrgreen:
Uncle Meat

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:29 pm

:D

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 pm

IT IS ME who is the noisy neighbour in my block, but I speak to all my neighbours and turn it down evenings/weekends.
There's a club next door, ironically I went there once and threatened them with action if they didn't curb the noise. Worked too.
Maybe get some soundproofing... to keep the noise out :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm hating this thread. It's boring as a motherfucker.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:40 pm

If someone would mention Apple products or zombies there's a very good chance it could be rescued.

:x :x :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

cmcpress

Post by cmcpress » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:18 pm

I had the same problem with the deaf gay party animals next door (i'm not joking - 3am on a Sunday evening / monday morning seeing a backgarden full of pilled up blokes with their tops off wearing wigs and drinking champagne and snorting coke) when i had to be up at 6am.

But luckily one of my mates has a 2KW PA. We borrowed it for a one off party round ours and they've been pretty quiet ever since.

Noise abatement order is the way to go though if it's too much. But you CAN move out on your contract after 6months without any penalties.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:47 pm

1) post dog turds too him, through royal mail
2) get another set of speakers and run the signal from your daw to them, tape these speakers to the ceiling below his bedroom and play really low bass frequencies all night

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:If someone would mention Apple products or zombies there's a very good chance it could be rescued.

:x :x :x
Does Apple make noise cancelling headphones?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I would personally knock on his door every night.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

It's kind of a conundrum because you work on music and you can't exactly be the noise complaint guy when there are high odds counter noise complaints will be filed against you.

The neighbor on the other side of my bedroom sometimes likes to party. It's not too often and the music isn't obnoxiously loud, but the bass is just loud enough to keep me from falling asleep. When that happens I just go sleep on the couch in the living room where the sound doesn't reach. Problem solved and feud avoided.

Really I've relied on other neighbors to voice complaints about other neighbors being loud and it's worked for the most part. Most people have a way lower tolerance than I do and probably don't work on music so they really don't have any kind of reason to hesitate about complaining.

This is yet another reason I don't want to move to a big city with old buildings where they charge you a premium to live in a space with paper thin walls and floors. And at my age it's more important the comfort level of my place than what excitement lays just outside my front door.

broken_specs

Post by broken_specs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:00 pm

As others have stated, I would look on the brightside - the problem people like us normally have is receiving complaints!! In 15 years, I've only found one home that I can make noise in - all the others have involved full scale war with neighbours.

Enjoy the freedom you have to play it loud, and try to do the quiet stuff when he's not got the tv on.
Live 8.1.5, Sony Vaio Intel Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13Ghz, 3Gig RAM, Windows 7

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 pm

How loud to you people listen to your stuff??

My problem has ALWAYS been my neighbors noise and never the other way around. It's pretty hard to listen to bass when there's kids running around and pounding on the floor, or some idiot that waxes his car every weekend and it takes over 4 hours, etc...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:57 pm

MacGuffin wrote:How loud to you people listen to your stuff??

My problem has ALWAYS been my neighbors noise and never the other way around. It's pretty hard to listen to bass when there's kids running around and pounding on the floor, or some idiot that waxes his car every weekend and it takes over 4 hours, etc...
The noise complaints against us are always about the main stereo and not when I'm working on music in my room. It's always from the neighbor above us, but he always comes directly to us and not to management or the police. He also has our phone numbers. Also I've helped to stop the problem by getting a better stereo with a sub that has a level knob on it that goes down to completely killing all bass. If you live in a place where you're hearing highs and mids through your neighbors' walls then the building is shit.

And I say this in all these type posts, part of the problem is it's pretty damn difficult or expensive to find a stereo with any kind of bass reduction. It's all super bass or mega bass options.