Is the M-Audio Fast Track any good?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jome7

Is the M-Audio Fast Track any good?

Post by Jome7 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:15 pm

It would just be for recording small guitar and maybe bass parts. I can go through my computer's input, but obviously that isn't the best way to do it so I'll probably be in the market for some kind of interface at some point. I also noticed that it includes Pro Tools M-Powered essentials that has double the amount of tracks that my Live Lite has. Does anyone use both?

Also, what would be better to minimize latency, USB or firewire?
http://www.buythis.ecrater.com/
eBay user name: cbrducati

nathannn

Re: Is the M-Audio Fast Track any good?

Post by nathannn » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:56 pm

the fast track is the worst audio interface i have ever used.
you will get random pops and clicks random drop outs that require a complete daw restart and occasionally a huge burst of white noise.
pro tools is nice but i cant imagine the version they are giving out with the fast track to be of much use.
also the mic pre's are not the best.

if you are wanting to get into pro tools and this is the only unit you can afford then i guess you could just deal with the problems.
if you do have a little more money get something else. this thing is a real pos.
using this for only studio use i predict at least one problem per project .
i would never trust this for live use.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Oh alright, thanks for the info. I think I found something better anyway for a good price. I have owned Pro tools before, but I never got around to doing anything with it. I like Ableton a lot but the Lite version is rather limited as far as tracks and the number of effects usable at once.

The other interface I'm looking at now is by TC Electronics and includes Cubase or something, but I'll probably stay with the Live upgrade path for now rather than learning a whole new program.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 am

I got the fast track ultra for 350€ and its working great with ableton kive, no pops and clicks and mentioned above. You just got to activate the high performance mode. Its also very mobile and has good routing options. I can only recommend it!
It has also been recommended by a music magazine short time ago. I think it has the best price/ feature ratio.
I ve played a lot of gigs with it and never had any problems.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 am

Does anyone have the NI Audio Kontrol 1? It looks pretty good for the price and with all of the software that is included with it, plus it has MIDI in/outs which the TC Electronics thing I was checking out doesn't have. They might not be necessary for me to have right away, but I would like something that incorporates them in case I need them somewhere down the road.

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:38 am

I think the Fast Track is an absolute piece of shit.

So, +1 to the first person who replied.

I've had nothing but problems with that interface, trying to help friends out, etc.

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:51 am

Jome7 wrote:Does anyone have the NI Audio Kontrol 1? It looks pretty good for the price and with all of the software that is included with it, plus it has MIDI in/outs which the TC Electronics thing I was checking out doesn't have. They might not be necessary for me to have right away, but I would like something that incorporates them in case I need them somewhere down the road.

I hade the AK1 with a pc laptop. All good with no latency and great sound, until you add a midi controller then all is out the window, but this was only an issue with windowz and ableton with a midi controller. Besides this specific problem you would be good to go.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 am

jonesonyou wrote:I hade the AK1 with a pc laptop. All good with no latency and great sound, until you add a midi controller then all is out the window, but this was only an issue with windowz and ableton with a midi controller. Besides this specific problem you would be good to go.
Ok, but was there latency when recording instruments? I read that firewire was superior to USB for this. I was also thinking about getting something like a Line 6 Backtrack so that I could play along with whatever beat I have going in Ableton and then move it onto the computer, as well as have it record any other good stuff that I come up with as I play away from the PC.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:12 pm

I use a Fast Track Ultra for my Acoustic Duo. Pops and clicks at first, til I disabled my wifi adapter. Not a hiccup since. I chalk it up to a cheap laptop. It's very portable, great sound quality for the money. Phantom power for when I run a condenser mic. Good I/O count, can be bus powered. I have no regrets.

MusicMind

Post by MusicMind » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi,

I am using a M-Audio FastTrack with Ableton Live 8.2.1 and I can't seem to get rid of all the hiccups, clicks, interferences, etc.

For those of you who had that problem and solved it, can you please share any tips or solutions?

Thanks!

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:01 pm

my guitarist uses it on Vista x86 - no problems with it whatsoever.

on windows generally turn off all unnecessary devices (WiFi, CardReader, BlueTooth etc.) and get rid of those preinstalled tools from the manufacturer. oh, yes, and get the lastest drivers fro your OS from the avid wesite.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

tinymachines

Post by tinymachines » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:10 pm

USB is to Firewire as Dial-up is to DSL.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 pm

another one for the fast track being the worst piece of shit audio interface out there.
its garbage.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:20 pm

MusicMind wrote:Hi,

I am using a M-Audio FastTrack with Ableton Live 8.2.1 and I can't seem to get rid of all the hiccups, clicks, interferences, etc.

For those of you who had that problem and solved it, can you please share any tips or solutions?

Thanks!
this is why the fast track is the worst audio interface out.
like i said its garbage. i own it. there is really nothing you can do to solve the problems this interface has.

no computers or synths

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:06 am

I own Fast Track Pro, never had a single problem with it. Plugged it in, it worked, never stopped, no trouble whatsoever

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud