max 4 live - do i buy simply for expanding live?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
rpc9943

max 4 live - do i buy simply for expanding live?

Post by rpc9943 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:17 am

This must be asked quite often... However, even simply checking out the step sequencer stuff alone, I am very impressed with max 4 live. If I don't even plan on learning max (at least not yet), do you all think it would be worth it all to get it simply for what modules already have been made for m4l? I checked out the max4live site where everyone has been uploading what they've made... seems awesome - are there other links to even more stuff?

I think what would be cool is maybe to have a "tracking" type interface (you know, like impulse tracker or FT2), and perhaps a "Scene ordering list"...? these things possible?

i know this must sound pretty lame of a question, but thank you to anyone who has an opinion on this!
Thanks
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

rpc9943

Re: max 4 live - do i buy simply for expanding live?

Post by rpc9943 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:47 am

yes, i have been testing out the demo. It seems pretty expansive... And for it's purposes, I mostly am interested in the sequencing capabilities. Funny enough, I was considering purchasing many different "retro arp" and "step sequencing" vst's- then noticed m4l is on sale... For about a hundred more dollars or so than what I was considering- something so much "closer to home", if you will! :)

I still have some time left for the sale, and have tried it out a few times (when i've got the chance to, which is rare these days).. I'm thinking this is a really great expansion! I've been searching and am wondering about my previously asked questions - mostly the tracker interface and the scene order list, it would really make my music making a bit more fun than simply playing quantized midi notes... I have an akai padkontrol and wondering if there is a step seq for that as well, as a m4l module?

Thank you so much for responding, I'm sure my original post got some eye rolls ;)

RonC
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:37 pm

I bought M4L with similar intentions, to use the existing devices, not primarily to learn to code myself.
Although i do wish i could find a good book to guide new users into building synths in M4L. To me, the tutorials on that subject are hard to learn from since they're all for Max. Not M4L.

In the end i would have better purchased Reaktor since it leans more towards building synths/instruments and it seems easier to learn.

Overall i'm a bit let down by the quality of M4L devices. I only use a few, not regularly. The devices in my opinion are not that good for a home producer.
As far as Live performance and video devices go, i wouldn't know, i don't use those.

Just some thoughts.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Still; you do raise an interesting point which (funny enough) hasn't been mentioned in this way before; the stuff available through maxforlive.com.
ShelLuser wrote:I have some doubts when it comes to the devices which are shipped with M4L itself, but as mentioned before I do think you raise an interesting issue wrt maxforlive.com.
What issue? I'm struggling to see how the original poster raised any issue with maxforlive.com...
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:34 pm

@rpc9943

maxforlive.com is so far the largest collection of free devices on one site, outside of what comes with the software itself. However that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people out there posting some amazing work to their own sites.

Some are even charging for them.

I think the default pluggo devices that come with M4L deserve some credit too. There's a ton of neat stuff there.

Ultimately ShelLuser is correct though. Suggest trying the demo and seeing if you like it.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 pm

zeepster wrote:I bought M4L with similar intentions, to use the existing devices, not primarily to learn to code myself.
Wrong reason to buy, IMO.
zeepster wrote:Although i do wish i could find a good book to guide new users into building synths in M4L.
You're in luck, the first real textbook on electronic music and sound design using Max/MSP was just released this month.

http://www.virtual-sound.com/en/
zeepster wrote:To me, the tutorials on that subject are hard to learn from since they're all for Max. Not M4L.
Complete misunderstanding of what M4L is. M4L is Max running inside Live, so learning Max is learning M4L.

Oh and there are M4L tutorials in the Max Help window and in the form of Live Lessons installed in the Live Library.
Unsound Designer

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:46 pm

@stringtapper thanks for the link. I recall seeing posts about this book saying that it wasn't really that good for learning to code synths in M4L and the author replying that part II would be geared more towards M4L. I'll download and check de demo pdf anyway.

As far as MaxforLive.com is concerned, i wish the front page showed all the newly added and updated plugins. It would be easier to get informed at a glance instead of usingSearch and sort according to date.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:04 pm

zeepster wrote:As far as MaxforLive.com is concerned, i wish the front page showed all the newly added and updated plugins. It would be easier to get informed at a glance instead of usingSearch and sort according to date.
This is exactly what the 2 RSS feeds are for. You have exactly what you want.

All new devices sorted by date: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MaxForLiveComNewDevices

All updated devices sorted by date: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MaxForLiveComUpdatedDevices

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Thanks. Those feeds should be put on the front page!
Bookmarked them for now.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:47 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
tempus3r wrote:
ShelLuser wrote:I have some doubts when it comes to the devices which are shipped with M4L itself, but as mentioned before I do think you raise an interesting issue wrt maxforlive.com.
What issue? I'm struggling to see how the original poster raised any issue with maxforlive.com...
Nah, no issues with the website. If there were any I would have let you known by now. The only issue here is probably my poor choice of wording; its not so much an 'interesting issue' raised by the OP but more of an 'interesting point'.

Many people who look into M4L also look into the devices which come with it, yet this is the first time I've seen someone also include maxforlive.com in his research. Which is IMO a smart thing to do; stuff on the website is obviously more versatile (iow; if you spot a bug your chances are pretty good that it gets fixed).
Ah ok. Btw, you can now download devices without having an account or logging in. I think that was one of your feature requests. :-D

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:08 am

My 2c is, "No, you should only buy it if you intend to learn how to use it yourself."

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm

zeepster wrote:Thanks. Those feeds should be put on the front page!
Bookmarked them for now.
Not a bad idea. Ok now there are the latest 15 devices linked directly on the home page on the right column.

http://www.maxforlive.com/index.php

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:55 pm

tempus3r wrote:Ok now there are the latest 15 devices linked directly on the home page on the right column.
Nice! This helps a lot!!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Very useful links! Thank you :-)
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

deva

Post by deva » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:38 am

neuromodulator wrote:My 2c is, "No, you should only buy it if you intend to learn how to use it yourself."
Why do you say that? Seems like at some point, the library of devices will be extensive enough that they are worth the price no? I don't have much interest in learning Max... But I sure would like access to various utilities that work well in Live... midi utilities, step sequencers etc etc...