Transferring Live data: "Cannot find file________(name)"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DDCCD

Transferring Live data: "Cannot find file________(name)"

Post by DDCCD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:47 am

On a Mac... and this is happening more often.

I think the name is often like a present or loop name.

Girlfriend "OK'd" the message again before I had a chance to write down the exact wording (it takes an afternoon to transfer 250 gigs) 250 because I am doing back up for 5 years of Live songs (many taken into Pro Tools for arrangement and further editing).

BTW: I do NOT have this problem when transferring data for pro tools songs... only have it when dealing with Ableton Live data.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

3phase

Re: Transferring Live data: "Cannot find file________(name)"

Post by 3phase » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:48 am

old ableton problem.. they identify their samples with the checksum that holds the path where the file is stored and therefore the most stupid filesearch on the planet dont finds the clips anymore even when you have saved it all in one folder with " collect all and safe " once you have moved the folder..

so you have to point live by hand to any single file..will give you lots of extra hours with your beloved "DAW"..
see it positive..so young you two never get together again..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

DDCCD

Post by DDCCD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 pm

There must be a creative way to get around spending a day of computer work when Live user should be able to just drag and drop and leave my studio for 6 hrs!

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm

When you save tracks in Live, are you selecting "collect all and save?" This option will create a folder with all the samples used in the set, in addition to anything else that is needed for the set to run.

DDCCD

Post by DDCCD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Can I assume that the only files where this is happening is in Live sessions where I did not do "collect all and save"?

At one point, I think I got the error message...then check and found that of the 250 gigs, 220 of them had been transferred.

Might be nice to have a function where all properly saved files are in fact transferred perfectly, instead of leaving the user in the dark as to what has happened and what was safely transferred. Professional composers / users are often the ones with large amounts of data to back up and who rely on time-efficiency.

So I guess I set aside a full weekend to do Live back up or take my chances of catastrophic data loss. Doesn't sound like something designed by Ableton to me!

Anyway, thanks for the pointers

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:43 pm

DDCCD wrote:Might be nice to have a function where all properly saved files are in fact transferred perfectly, instead of leaving the user in the dark as to what has happened and what was safely transferred. Professional composers / users are often the ones with large amounts of data to back up and who rely on time-efficiency.
David Abravanel wrote:When you save tracks in Live, are you selecting "collect all and save?" This option will create a folder with all the samples used in the set, in addition to anything else that is needed for the set to run.
"Collect all and save" is perfect for large amounts of data, back up, and time-efficiency. Just sucks you are just learning about this now.

DDCCD

Post by DDCCD » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Yes, I always do the "collect all and save" function. But out of about a thousand Live songs, there are likely a few where I may have closed the files after making a tweak or adding a sample, etc without doing this.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 pm

DDCCD wrote:Yes, I always do the "collect all and save" function. But out of about a thousand Live songs, there are likely a few where I may have closed the files after making a tweak or adding a sample, etc without doing this.
I guess it might be nice if they set up in the preferences that you could choose to collect all and save every time you save. Or maybe make it so every time you save a pop up window appears that asks you what kind of save...but then people would probably complain about that. It's a force of habit that we usually just go to the general save function.

I think knowing exactly what is and isn't saved when using the general save function isn't going to help if you can't remember to select collect all and save. It's not like that knowledge alone is going to somehow change a habit you've had on just about every other program since home computers were invented.