Video possibilities with Live ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
fuz

Video possibilities with Live ?

Post by fuz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi.
I would like to have some simple video animations accompanying certain loops or parts.
It seems that Live has some video possibilities, but I can't find clear information about it. ...

Where to start ?
Is it only with Max for Live & jitter or is it possible to do basic stuff just with Live ?

thanks. :mrgreen:

fuz.
Powerbook G4 1Ghz. 768Mb. OS10.3.5 Live 4.0.4. PTLe 6.4 ...

lysdexic

Re: Video possibilities with Live ?

Post by lysdexic » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:02 am

you can edit certain video files in the arrangement view without M4L, but as far as performance goes i'm not too sure. i'd like to be able to use video clips in the session view to incorporate into an a/v set, but it appears this isn't possible.

i just requested a separate video section on the forum as sifting through the boards trying to find info about live's video features is pretty tiresome.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156057

mikdog

Post by mikdog » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:52 am

Ha. I spent a LOT of time finding out about this. It seems such an obvious thing to include a video clip with a sound clip for live performance and you want it all to go in time, so one person can effectively do the audio and the visuals at the same time.

As such, its not included :( It would be awesome and it would have saved me a lot of bucks as now I bought modul8, and my brother makes the music whilst I VJ.

I tried the demo of JAM 2 (which is a plugin for Live that should have let me do the video thing within Ableton Live) but no luck with that. Sigh.

So for the meantime, two separate computers, one doing visuals, one doing music. Video integration into Live would be so much simpler and synch tighter - just put a video clip in a vertical column and launch a whole row, it would also be quantized so that it would speed up and slow down according to master BPM change, or attach a video clip to an audio clip so it launches simultaneously.

lysdexic

Post by lysdexic » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Video integration into Live would be so much simpler and synch tighter - just put a video clip in a vertical column and launch a whole row, it would also be quantized so that it would speed up and slow down according to master BPM change, or attach a video clip to an audio clip so it launches simultaneously.
can't believe the session view doesn't allow this.. surely there has to be a reason.

fuz

Post by fuz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 pm

It seems with Max for Live and Jitter it's possible but if you don't own the full Max program the edit page is crippled ?!? ...
I suppose if you prepare your loops before and do not need to edit them anymore it could work... though impractical !

Has anybody tried the mac for live + jitter option ?
What's it like ?
Powerbook G4 1Ghz. 768Mb. OS10.3.5 Live 4.0.4. PTLe 6.4 ...

jim-adams

Post by jim-adams » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 am

So, there's NO WAY to launch video clips for live performance??
Dear Ableton - is there any solution?
I love Ableton for launching clips during performances, but I'd also like to launch videos!
thanks
Jim

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 am

You can put your .mov files in the Arrange view and, if you create markers for the start of those video clips and assign MIDI notes to the markers, you can trigger clips by MIDI, beat-synced to BPM.

I use Live as part of my workflow for creating VJ clips, since it's easy to warp and cut video to the beat grid in Arrange view. Then I export those movies for further editing in FCP and ultimately delivery in Modul8.

Modul8 runs quite happily on the same computer as Live BTW, so depending on the complexity/CPU/RAM hit of your audio and video shows, it's quite possible to have them on one machine, with Live sending MIDI to M8 via the IAC bus.
Here's a demo of this (not mine): http://vimeo.com/8591947

But yeah, video clips in Session View would be nice...
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

bupper

Post by bupper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:29 am

ViZZable is working well here is session view, but you need M4l - http://zealousy.com/2011/01/vizzable/

fuz

Post by fuz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Yes! I've come to the same conclusion:

Live + M4L and VIZZable & V-Module does the trick! and much more!
(the two are really complementary I find)
And you can use Midi for control!

and what's more both M4L extensions are free to download. (But you need M4L)