Upgrade or not?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Hypomixolydian

Upgrade or not?

Post by Hypomixolydian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi

I am still on version six of Ableton. What exactly am I missing in version eight? Should I even bother? Six still does it for me. I've tried the version eight demo. But I kept making music the way I always do, so didn't notice new features. It might say something about my limited knowledge of the innards of the program, but I've never been one for manuals and I can achieve what I can as things are.

Should I take advantage of the deal they offer now? Or wait until the next version is out [deals tend to precede newer versions]? Or just stick with version six?

smutek

Re: Upgrade or not?

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:05 am

Hypomixolydian wrote: Six still does it for me. I've tried the version eight demo. But I kept making music the way I always do, so didn't notice new features.
Based on this I'd say there's no real reason to upgrade. At the least, since you are getting on just fine now, just wait for the next version to be announced first if you must upgrade just for the hell of it.

I'm on version 7 but I use the software like I am still on version 5. I haven't even really gotten into racks yet...

:oops:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:48 pm

smutek wrote:I haven't even really gotten into racks yet...

:lol:

Me neither. :x

But as far as new features I think some people are just new features whores and go straight to it (and then complain how they could be better) and for others of us you have to force yourself to get out of your comfort zone and try the new features.

I'm somewhat of a drum plug-in whore and forced myself to use drum racks and when I did I found out I quite enjoyed it and felt like I had more control over the sound....or at the very least it sounded cleaner with more air instead of my usual stacking shit to death with drum plugs with built-in step sequencers.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 pm

smutek wrote:I haven't even really gotten into racks yet...

:lol: What? Racks are the best thing ever!

Hypomixolydian - there's some little things that I much prefer in 8, e.g. the new warping method, and the workflow improvements, but to be honest unless you have a pressing need (and the time) for Max4Live, then I'd stay with 6.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:28 pm

:oops: racks...never knew such a thing existed. :lol:
I still use live like I am on ver 6 and I am on 8.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:06 pm

I've been using Live (7) a lot more recently, and looking at 8 there are a lot of improvements that would help the workflow. Channel groups, improved midi sequencing (7 SUCKS), new warping engine, and the midi mapping beyond 128.

But I know they are going to announce 9 soon, and I'm not getting screwed!

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 pm

@ beats and 8O - I'll have to give it [racks] a try. I'm recently laid off so I have plenty of time on my hands....

:!:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:35 pm

smutek wrote:@ beats and 8O - I'll have to give it [racks] a try. I'm recently laid off so I have plenty of time on my hands....

:!:
If you can survive off unemployment for awhile you are my hero right now.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Man, not even close. I'm 3 weeks in and just received my first weeks payout. They don't give you much either.

Fortunately my wife still has her full time gig, and she hold the benefits. She's also got a part time business that's doing OK and I still have a part time gig designing for a local non-profit.

Don't get me wrong, it's going to be really tight - but I think we will make it.

The worst part about it is my former boss is a complete mong. He had a really nice client base and could have done pretty well, but he drove his business into the ground through mismanagement, extremely poor business decisions, and straight up fraud - then blamed everything on everything and everyone but himself. It's definitely a drag being out of work, but it's also a huge load off of my back being out of that shit hole. I've definitely got some resentments over the situation though. 4 years of hard work, for nothing. This guy is on to the next thing, still earning money - me and the other people who worked our asses off there, laid off just before X-Mas.

I still get tempted to put the IRS on his crooked ass, but I'd rather just move on.

I'm on a full time job search and in the interim I'm going to see what I can get going with my freelance work. The first 3 weeks haven;t been as productive as they should have been, but I suspect after this week and the holidays and what not I'll be able to get myself in gear a little more.

wheat

Post by wheat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:51 am

Hypomixolydian wrote:Should I take advantage of the deal they offer now? Or wait until the next version is out [deals tend to precede newer versions]? Or just stick with version six?
I was on Live 6 and finally jumped to Live 8. For me, the major reason was Looper. I have a hardware looper that I like to compose with but couldn't integrate with Live since there's no way to lock it to Live's tempo. So, looper plus a few foot switches now accomplishes that for me. I'm eager to check out racks and the new warp engine, but it was really the desire to have a hardware-style looping option within Live that did it for me. No regrets.

Working my way slowly through Jon Margulies' Live 8 Power!, too. Learning lots of things I never knew about Live (most of which date back to Live 6 if not earlier).

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:02 am

WOAH, I actually forgot what Live was like prior to 8, and I've been using Live since version 3.
I'd hate to go backwards, but I'm not sure I'd feel like I was missing what I didn't know about if I had never moved on from 6.

I love racks, and I love the new warping, it's hard to imagine working without them now. I have tried using groups, but I prefer having everything visually accessible, so I don't group anymore. Side chaining is pretty cool too, I think thats an 8 only feature?

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:06 pm

smutek wrote:I'm on version 7 but I use the software like I am still on version 5. I haven't even really gotten into racks yet...

Same here exactly. I've never used a rack.

Of course, if you move to L8 you can use the Ableton gift pack! :wink:
Image Image

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:07 pm

polyslax wrote:
smutek wrote:I'm on version 7 but I use the software like I am still on version 5. I haven't even really gotten into racks yet...

Same here exactly. I've never used a rack.

Of course, if you move to L8 you can use the Ableton gift pack! :wink:
:lol: nice!