Manuel - a touchscreen controller for Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikky

Manuel - a touchscreen controller for Ableton Live

Post by rikky » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:23 am

Hey guys,

Using LiveOSC, Bespoke and Visual Studio 2010 with XNA, I've made a touchscreen application for Ableton Live.

It works with any version of Live and can interface with an unlimited number of tracks, devices and parameters (only limited by LiveOSC).

You can see a preview video here.
If you want to see something specific, just post a reply with what you want to see working and I can throw something together.

What do you guys think?

Semuta

Re: Manuel - a touchscreen controller for Ableton Live

Post by Semuta » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Well... I jizzed in my pants...

Anyways... What kind of device is this intended to run on ultimately? Would this be something to run on an ipad or other lightweight device or will it require a full blown computer?

Interestingly, I am looking at a touchscreen laptop from lenovo... maybe this is a sign!

Thanks for your work! it's inspiring!

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

rikky

Post by rikky » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 pm

As long as it's a touchscreen and runs Windows 7, you're sweet.

The machine that I've developed it on and used in the video is a mid-2008 ASUS laptop that's outputting to a 23" touchscreen via HDMI and (USB for touch input).
If you have a Windows 7 capable tablet, that should work too.

What's cool about it is that it uses server requests, so you could even run it remotely (on a fast LAN) if you just run a small routing application on the PC running Live.

I'm really interested in this whole process of touchscreen sound and am considering not going through Live at all.
Using OSC servers is finicky, and unless I can find a better way of interfacing with Live via C#, I'm stuck with just tweaking parameters (no way to add tracks or anything).

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 am

Awesome. After watching your video and thinking of what else might be cool, how about some sort of generator module that could modulate parameters on the fly. -I picture touching the module, touching the parameter to automate, a third touch to make it sticky, and maybe a couple of beads on a line between the two points where you can define min/max? When you touch the automation module, you see all of its connections? A flyout with waveforms and all that stuff. Sort of a realtime modular environment for the LOM.

How about a 4x4 clip grid that you could drop on the screen?

Maybe some sort of independent step sequencer? Alternatively, the guys who make the griid iphone app have come up with a way to make a direct midi clip editor...

Buttons. With buttons you could make a little transport control, maybe have the ability to send midi notes to tracks somehow. Drum Pads. Maybe not drum pads. Laptop screens and all...

Is there anything new and interesting you can manipulate with the new serato stuff?

Imbue your app with the ability to open midi ports such that it could also be used as a generic controller with non OSC apps? Perhaps use it to drive a standalone touchscreen gui for external hardware?

I've always thought a touch interface would be awesome, and I even bought a touch screen a long time ago, long before multitouch, and was very disappointed.

This looks really cool.

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva