Magic Mouse anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dru

Re: Magic Mouse anyone?

Post by dru » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:55 am

Mine came with my new 27" i7, I honestly expected it to be very uncomfortable and ergonomic-less but suprisingly feels great, even after extended use.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:33 pm

stonee wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:any mouse is clunky and slow compared to a decent trackball...

after having macbooks for so long, nothing compares to a good trackpad, haha
I've been finding this with my MacBook Pro... The dual finger scrolling and light tap for clicking is wicked. And I don't need extra space on my desk for a mouse! Less is more and all that.

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:03 pm

I got one for Christmas and I love it, took about an hour to get use to but I think it's comfortable and really ergonomic.

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:33 pm

magicprefs is great... still would LOVE to have two finger scroll to zoom in and out on the magic mouse.

i was a non believer in the mouse but i think like all of us we don't like things that feel different. i love my logitech but i'm now getting used to the magic mouse and
being albe to flick/scroll side to side is incredible.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:35 pm

apple does have some very good products, I'm not a hater, but their mice sucks compared to MS or logitech. the magic mouse look nice and is ok for checking mails, but I can't understand that someone likes to use it for "mouse heavy" work.

btw. I've used the magic mouse

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 am

littlejim84 wrote:
stonee wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:any mouse is clunky and slow compared to a decent trackball...
after having macbooks for so long, nothing compares to a good trackpad, haha
I've been finding this with my MacBook Pro... The dual finger scrolling and light tap for clicking is wicked. And I don't need extra space on my desk for a mouse! Less is more and all that.
Same here. For that reason I imagine the "magic trackpad" would be a lot cooler for this than the magic mouse. I find the magic mouse a bit small on top for multitouch gestures (although I don't own one, so maybe would get more used to it).
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:05 am

Piplodocus wrote:
littlejim84 wrote:
stonee wrote: after having macbooks for so long, nothing compares to a good trackpad, haha
Same here. For that reason I imagine the "magic trackpad" would be a lot cooler for this than the magic mouse.
Yup. The Magic Trackpad has made me ditch the mouse for good. The tap instead of click, two finger tap as right click, double finger scroll, three finger drag...etc. makes it feel much more closer to the touchscreen experience on an iOS device than the typical mouse/trackpad usage on a computer.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 am

I'm getting pretty close to that point as well, I think the writing is on the wall for which direction Apple will be headed in the future. The key for me was the inertial aspect they ported from the iOS devices, makes using a trackpad a much more fluid experience.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:30 am

Got one. I really miss the ability to call dashboard.
However I like it a lot so I use Magic Prefs even if it causes some problems in the Live browser.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 pm

I wish I could used to mine. I can't. I find that it right-clicks when I don't want it to. And that gestures thing drives me crazy when I am using the web browser. Also, the thing plows through batteries. I had to go back to my marble trackman.

I hadn't heard of the magic prefs so maybe I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 am

I use my wacom tablet with ableton. Hard to beat the speed and confort. (I use it in mouse mode, not landscape)

photonal

Post by photonal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 am

Since using the magic mouse I realised I've developed a different way of using the mouse. With a magic mouse I physically move the mouse around the mousepad a lot less - actually my hand just rests on the mousepad and I move the mouse with just a thumb and little finger. So now I don't run out of ableton mousepad which could sometimes happen with the old mouse!

Another neat trick is that sometimes if you did run out of mousepad and wanted to move the pointer a bit further, with the magic mouse you just pick it up and recenter it on the mousepad.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:18 pm

It took some getting used to, it's definitely smaller than most mice (mouses?), but that's the whole point of it. Sometimes I miss a physical scrolling wheel, but I guess I'd miss the Magic Pref's a lot more.

jimyson

Post by jimyson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:05 pm

I have to agree that the magic trackpad is awesome. But let's get to the point, can you use it as x/y? The magic trackpad is the perfect size for this and it would be very nice to have it as a feature. Anyone?

EDIT: After seeing another thread from last year on this http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 84&start=0 it seems there may be something. I don't have a chance to try it so if someone here is willing to try the demo and report back I'm sure it would be much appreciated. Here is the link for the software: http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html