Drum and Bass Bass. Bass.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mattmcook

Drum and Bass Bass. Bass.

Post by mattmcook » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Heya,

I'm currently writing some liquid drum and bass however I'm getting bored with the few (good) bass sounds I can come up with through Operator. Now I'm not saying its operators fault just that the standard operations I'm using seem to be failing me. I've also been sampling bass wavs I got free with Computer Music however a sampled bass is never really as good as a synth'd bass as it is so limited.

Could anyone recommend any good tutorials on creating bass sounds, or recommend any good VSTi's. I've heard Massive is good? (worth buying?)

Sorry for a question which is so broad! ...

necho

Re: Drum and Bass Bass. Bass.

Post by necho » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Are we talking sine/sub bass? or slightly dirtier sounds?

If you're going for something dirtier, you should consider using some multiband processing. If you use a rack with parallel instances of Live's multiband compressor, you can split the audio signal into individual bands and process them separately. Try compression on low bands and distortion/widening fx on high bands.

Try using glide creatively too....

Either way - I think Operator is the best bass synth ever made. Combine it with some multiband tricks and you can make all kinds of cool sounds.
_________
sigs suck.

mattmcook

Post by mattmcook » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I suppose dirtier bass type sounds. As I think I can do sub/sine bass fairly well, well enough to fill the track anyways.

I'm obviously not using Operator to anywhere near even half its potential so will really have to look at exploring it more. Will try to get my head round the multiband compressor too!
thanks

TheDrop2

Post by TheDrop2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:52 pm

I really like Vanguard and Massive. My two favorites. You can make some pretty great sounds in these plugins as well as putting some saturator on it and some dirty distortion. But honestly Operator is amazing and you should definitley take more time to play around with it and get to know it better. I would also reccommend trying Analog in ableton as well, you could make some dirty sounds.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Definitely layering. Either using a multiband to split the signal or a stack of operators with different distortion, filtering and eq set ups. Nice to have a variety of lfo rates on the operators... just to max up the groove.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:29 am

Operator plus saturator is the shit for dnb bass....

just bring up the levels of each oscillator slowly, keeping the bottom sub the loudest, to taste. Then detune the top couple of oscillators for some movement.

Add a saturator in front, turn on color and just start moving all the knobs...you will certainly hit upon some dirt eventually.

this is what i just did earlier, its dirty.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection