Just purchased Ableton. Now....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DanRxDrums

Just purchased Ableton. Now....

Post by DanRxDrums » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 am

I'm wondering how long it will take to get good with the program. I know learning curve has a lot to do with it, but let's say with a good amount of knowledge of computer, music theory, and working with the program daily. What kind of time frame do you think?

hauselektriq

Re: Just purchased Ableton. Now....

Post by hauselektriq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:08 am

This depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I have a friend that only does linear recording in arrangement view. This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours to figure out after initial setup. I use it to record, sample and perform live which can take a lifetime (mainly because once you start enjoying it, it can eat up a lot of time by not paying attention to the clock). It really depends how far you want to go into it, how much time you have available and how interested you are. This forum is a great place for any specific questions.
Aspire 4730Z, 4GB DDR2, Win7 x64, Live 8.2.1, Traktor Scratch Pro, MPK49, Launchpad, nanopad, nanokey, nanokontrol, Audiobox, SM57, SM58b

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 am

Welcome...

I think for the basics just start doing the tutorials and you should be well on your way within a few days. Keep the manual close, because it's a cool resource with a lot actual, useful tips. And of course this forum is one of the best forums on the internet! :roll:

But it only starts there. I've been using this program for over 5 years and still learning new things on a daily basis.

Look at it this way: Ableton is a tool to make music. I assume you bought Ableton Live to make music. Knowing everything in Ableton does not mean you will make good music necessarily. Just start making music with the program and make sure you'll have fun while doing this!

Looking forward on hearing your stuff!!! :wink:
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 am

you can easily spend two years on exploring the features. Remember from time to time to finish a song!

Also turn off the screen from time to time and listen.

Otherwise you're stuck tweaking thousands of parameters with no end.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 am

pepezabala wrote:Also turn off the screen from time to time and listen.

+1, took me a while to learn that.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 am

MPGK wrote:
pepezabala wrote:Also turn off the screen from time to time and listen.

+1, took me a while to learn that.
+1
And try to stay away from GAS http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=syndrome

:wink:

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

How long is a bit of string?

Took me a few weeks to really get into Live v6 to the point of not haing to think much about it coming from Cubase and Reason and hardware studios before that - that was from a background of electronics engineer / low level real time/embedded systems and PC software engineer, ex-tv and music production engineer with the BBC (nothing special just common garden stuff), knowing audio processing as an analog and digital electronics design and service engineer and having writen software for MIDI on and off since the very first MIDI hardware appeared in the mid 80s and used suff from analog modulars and sequencers to latest audio/midi workstations and tape->digital recording and editign systems etc - ie probably allmost as deep in this technology space at the time as your likely to get - and even all that doesnt make me a decent audio engineer even if I know most of the whys etc.

All I had to do was learn my way around warping, session view and find the stuff I was allready used to in other DAWs and normal studio gear, so hence I never ran into technology problems that I wasnt allready familar with, just quirk of the way ableton specifically works (or bugs) - that said, people here still manage to post about some aspect of Live I never knew about - which is allways refreshing :)

OTOH, if your learning curve is more about learning how to work with audio and midi in a more general sense, and what tools to apply and why and when an where etc... then say 25 years to get good? and you will probbaly spend many of themworking you way around various plugins and hardware options to find out what works for you - AKA the usual excuse for GAS ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Great insight!

My goal is to produce and create music. I have an APC 40, and have used Reason for a little over a year, but the only other equipment I plan on buying for now is an audio interface. I read somewhere that when performing live, you can "pre-listen" in your headphones prior to sending the signal out to the monitors if you have an interface.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:39 pm

DanRxDrums wrote:Great insight!

My goal is to produce and create music. I have an APC 40, and have used Reason for a little over a year, but the only other equipment I plan on buying for now is an audio interface. I read somewhere that when performing live, you can "pre-listen" in your headphones prior to sending the signal out to the monitors if you have an interface.
A Focusrite Saffire 6 USB is a 2 in / 4 out USB audio interface. Perfect for Ableton and pre-listening.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

i think it depends on how much you visit the forum..

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:06 pm

nuxnamon wrote:i think it depends on how much you visit the forum..
^This^

If I spent half the time making music that I spend reading the forum learning how to do things...I'd have loads of time to try doing the things that I learned how to do from reading the forum.

Edit: Also depends how much time you spend playing Call of Duty.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Khazul wrote:music production engineer with the BBC (nothing special just common garden stuff)
What, like ground force?

Anyway, you can learn Ableton enough to start making music in a few hours. The tricky parts are all in writing and arranging a track, use effects well, sound design, mixing properly etc. If you've used reason, much of it is pretty much the same principals.

I wouldn't look at it as learning Ableton, but learning to make music. Learn the features you need to complete each task as it comes up, but make yourself aware of what it can do, so you know what you have to work with. Sure, you can go nuts experimenting, but don't feel you have to try everything from the beginning.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm

andydes wrote:
Khazul wrote:music production engineer with the BBC (nothing special just common garden stuff)
What, like ground force?
Ho ho ho! :P

(Actually made me chuckle though)

Try not to get bogged down with learning everything. Get your hands dirty and make music and you will learn along the way. And each time you run into a hurdle, consult the manual (it's probably in there) and if it's not, ask on here. But just keep trying stuff. The practical approach. Immersion learning.

Post by 102455 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Mister36 wrote:
andydes wrote:
What, like ground force?
Try not to get bogged down
No water features then?

:D