Midi CC to note

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rabalder

Midi CC to note

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 am

Ive got an incoming "CC" that needs to be turned into a "note" for outgoing actions..
Is there an easy way of doing this??

Andymann

Re: Midi CC to note

Post by Andymann » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:42 am

use bome's midi translator on windows
If you cannot open it you don't own it

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am

Is translator software the only choice?
No little device or vst or something??

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 am

Rabalder wrote:Is translator software the only choice?
No little device or vst or something??
There are MFL devices for this. Other than that, external applications are your only option.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 am

can't he trigger a midiclip with the CC and this midiclip contains a note that get's routed back into Live as remote via IAC or midiyoke?

Just an idea ...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 pm

pepezabala wrote:can't he trigger a midiclip with the CC and this midiclip contains a note that get's routed back into Live as remote via IAC or midiyoke?

Just an idea ...
You'd need 128 clips for that. One for each value.
And you can't assign the same CC to 128 things anyway.

Depending on what he actually wishes to achieve, maybe the pitch plugin could help.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 pm

hoffman2k wrote:There are MFL devices for this. Other than that, external applications are your only option.

I tried to search the library at maxforlive.com, but couldnt find anything. Is it a specific device youre talking about??

pepezabala wrote:can't he trigger a midiclip with the CC and this midiclip contains a note that get's routed back into Live as remote via IAC or midiyoke?

Just an idea ...
I tried the midiclip version, but there is no way of turning the note off..
Im using an expression pedal that send CCs, and Im trying to make the pedal work as an on/off for sending a constant midi note to an effect..
Im using it while playing drums so I can sync the on/off-note with my playing.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:38 pm

other free alternative are glovepie as external app or usine free vst can be used as a vst.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Rabalder wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:There are MFL devices for this. Other than that, external applications are your only option.

I tried to search the library at maxforlive.com, but couldnt find anything. Is it a specific device youre talking about??

Just an idea ...
Im using an expression pedal that send CCs, and Im trying to make the pedal work as an on/off for sending a constant midi note to an effect..
I figured somebody would have done it by now. Didn't realize you had MFL. If you have it, I can whip this up in about 2 minutes if you want. But you'll need to be specific about the results you expect.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Rabalder wrote:

Just an idea ...
I figured somebody would have done it by now. Didn't realize you had MFL. If you have it, I can whip this up in about 2 minutes if you want. But you'll need to be specific about the results you expect.
Really? WOW! I cant even begin to describe how nice of you this is!!! Thanks A LOT!! :D :D :D

Ok, so.. When you map a "twistable-knob" to an on/off parameter, it usually works as a simple on/off switch.(being 0=off and 1-127=on..
This is what the CC coming from the pedal also should do. When "ON", the device should send a midi note (prefarably C2, but any note goes), and when "OFF" it should stop the midi note.
cc1-127 = midi note ON
cc0 = midi note OFF
(The effect is triggered by midi notes as you probably can imagine..)

Does that sound right? I think it does..

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm

This can be done by using the CC to launch a clip.

Make a 1 bar clip with a 1 bar long MIDI note in it
Set the Launch Mode to Gate and Quantization to None.
In the Notes box set Start to 1.1.1, Loop Position to 1.1.2 and the Loop Length to 0.3.2

The note will trigger (or re-trigger) if the control value is above 63 and stop when the value is 63 or below.

The re-triggering can be a problem because you are likely to send multiple messages. but turning on Legato mode seems to fix this (not sure why though)

When testing this on my BCR I noticed a strange effect with the control feedback which seemed to be setting the controller value back to 0 at the end of the loop. So maybe don't enable control feedback to the pedal.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

For a simple on/off switch Crumhorn's suggestion will indeed work.
But since you have MFL anyway, this little effect might be more easy to set up.

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... e.amxd.zip

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 pm

hoffman2k wrote:For a simple on/off switch Crumhorn's suggestion will indeed work.
But since you have MFL anyway, this little effect might be more easy to set up.

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... e.amxd.zip
Thank you very much. This is brilliant! You have without a doubt saved my weekend!
I hope you get rich!

@crumhorn. Your suggestion did work very well.. With Hofman2k´s device the on/off-switch occurs between 0 and 1, not 63 and 64. Its a lot easier to control the pedal when it activates the effects just by tapping your toes instead of moving the whole foot so much. Probably just a matter of taste though..

Custom made software is always cooler anyway..

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm

@hoffman2k. You should put this device on maxforlive.com. A handy utility tool indeed.
Im sure someone else is in desperate need for a cc to note device exactly right now.. As Im writing this text.. yes.. YES.., Could it be?
Thanks again

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Rabalder wrote:@hoffman2k. You should put this device on maxforlive.com. A handy utility tool indeed.
Im sure someone else is in desperate need for a cc to note device exactly right now.. As Im writing this text.. yes.. YES.., Could it be?
Thanks again
I need to polish it a little bit more. Some people might prefer a different threshold.
That is the thing about MFL. Its easy to make a device, but most of the work goes into making it user friendly :)

If you search maxforlive.com for "Vayner", you'll find my finished devices and soon this one.

Cheers

- Bjorn