Start playing clip a bit earlier

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DashNY

Start playing clip a bit earlier

Post by DashNY » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 am

Hi there,

I have a vocal audio clip which when triggered (e.g. by triggering the next scene) needs to start playing a quarter note before the start of the measure.
E.g. consider these lyrics:
"My body aches"
vs
" 'Cuz my body aches"

In both cases, the "my .." starts at the first downbeat of the measure. In the second case, the "Cuz" needs to play on the last quarter beat of the previous measure.

Is this possible with Live8 ?

Thanks.

monkeysee

Re: Start playing clip a bit earlier

Post by monkeysee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 am

you could set the quantization menu to 1/4 note and activate it the beat before the next bar starts, i think...

ark

Post by ark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:47 am

I've been asking for this feature since Live 6. Maybe Live 9 will have it.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 pm

You could put 'cuz' in its own clip in the previous scene so that it plays the bar before the new scene which then comes in following 'cuz' with 'my body aches'.

If you like though, record it into arrange view as a two bar clip with 'Cuz' falling on beat four of bar one and the rest inside bar 2 through to the end, then top and tail it to fit exactly two bars, consolidate it and drag it back to session view. Now you just need to trigger it, keeping global quantize set to one bar, the bar before you want it to say 'my body aches', it will then roll through the first 3 beats of bar 1 and deliver 'cuz' on the fourth beat of the bar and then play the second bar following that.

Two ways to skin the cat for you there.