NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alex.the.forge

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 pm

fx23 wrote:soundcloud suport WTF is that joke rumor??? Do some seriously beleive in that????

it take less than 10mn to bounce,convert and upload. how many people are making and uploading a new track every day?

there are millions of more important things, it's probably the less and more stupid thing ever requested.

not really, there are more than one type of request. First there are requests that are a big deal and take a lot to implement, then there are ideas that can easily be implemented - possibly because they are part of a bigger concept that is already being implemented.

I agree, if this would be a big deal in its own right then it would be a silly thing to spend time on, but if you think about it, if they are already working on "Share" then there will be a component of that function that requires some kind of FTP address or something similar that allows your computer to connect to the server that Ableton provides to upload your Live sets etc, so if it was just a case of liaising with Soundcloud and getting a specific FTP address that needed it's own login then it is really a very small deal.

I am by no means stating it would actually be that simple, but I don't think it's that unrealistic that it could be, in which case, why not?

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:36 pm

mmmmm

well, of course i don't care they add that if we still get the more important stuff. But i would be really surprised if they do so.
same request 2 years ago would be adressed to myspace. 3rd party web is something that evolve ultra fast.remember Napster.
of course if the thing is just enter an upgradable ftp adress, login and user pass it's easy to make it evolve, but it's as well so
easy for us to just open the browser and take 5m to upload to whatever site we want, i can't see what's so boring in that.
seriously, just press Alt-tab or open your web browser take 5 seconds.
and you don't upload every day do you? then why not ask live to direcltly burn to CDs too? then to print covers and so on.

they have many, many other things, even simples one to adress first before this one imo.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Well, if doing a deal with the SoundCloud folks is financially beneficial so that Ableton could hire another programmer to help implement requested features - AND the SoundCloud implementation is quick and painless - I'm all for it! lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:25 pm

there will be no Live 9 the next few months. I bet!
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:01 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
Soundclound isn't really in the same league as myspace and is fast becoming industry standard for sending tracks to labels both as demos and as masters for labels to release.
it is?
you sure about that?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I get more and more people sending me things via private soundcloud links. Works great, so if Ableton wants to implement this, bring it on I say.

As long as they also add MP3 export. ;)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:Where is this "soundcloud" stuff coming from? Is it rumour or fact?
last year fact..
http://soundcloud.com/press/releases/20 ... oad-to-web

ark

Post by ark » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:Where is this "soundcloud" stuff coming from? Is it rumour or fact?
For example, look at the 3rd paragraph of this article.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:09 pm

On this note - who will be at NAMM this year?

I will, I am going to meetings during the day Thursday, and Friday, but will likely be going to some parties on Thursday night.

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Having a work flow in virtual environment in real time where 2 or more can gather and write music from anywhere in the world would be a wonderful thing! It's the way music is being created now! However, I'm not sure soundcloud is the way? Plus I don't think many will use the direct to abbey road online mastering at £90 a pop (track).

http://www.abbeyroad.com/news/special-f ... atureid=10

Which means most will master themselves onto their HD and then upload to soundcloud which.... rather makes a ableton to soundcloud function rather useless.... what for the 20 seconds it takes to sign in.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:52 pm

friend_kami wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
Soundclound
it is?
you sure about that?
I didn't say this. You fucked up the quotes so I appear to hold the opposite view than I actually do

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:22 pm

lol. its their forum fucking it up. i didnt touch the quote order. doesnt matter though, its the statement and whether it holds any credibility or not that im curious about, no matter who said it.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 am

friend_kami wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:
Soundclound isn't really in the same league as myspace and is fast becoming industry standard for sending tracks to labels both as demos and as masters for labels to release.
it is?
you sure about that?
well I can only speak from my own personal experience, but certainly in dance music it seems to be becoming pretty common for labels to accept demos via their soundcloud drop boxes and the label I've been releasing tracks on also usually asks for a soundcloud link of the master once they've picked it up.

The big difference it has over myspace is that you can send full quality audio files while myspace only allowed shitty compressed versions.

I just think that it might not actually be a huge difficulty if they are already implementing their share feature that they could work out some kind of add-on that allows you to upload straight to soundcloud, maybe in a similar way to how soundcloud lets you post your new tracks to facebook, myspace and twitter at the same time. And who's to say it couldn't do it to them as well? I don't think it's a really huge process to implement that, so if it isn't then why not do it?

It would certainly make my life that little bit easier because I seem to be spending a lot of time rendering/looking for files/converting to mp3/looking for files again/uploading etc etc lately.

[EDIT] - oh well there you go, it looks semi official:
Poster wrote:
last year fact..
http://soundcloud.com/press/releases/20 ... oad-to-web

esky

Post by esky » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 am

"PreSonus Studio One Product Manager Jonathan Hillman said: “With Studio One and SoundCloud, musicians can produce their music and share it with millions of listeners in a matter of minutes."

Goddamn, i don't want to share my music with millions, i want to sell it... :)

tigali

Post by tigali » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:46 am

esky wrote: Goddamn, i don't want to share my music with millions, i want to sell it... :)
Then you're gonna need a fuckin time machine pal. And to make any serious money, it better have a 1970's button.