using swing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
locket

using swing

Post by locket » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 pm

hi, just got ableton and wondered if you could help me, im just trying to teach myself about swing and drum programmiing, I have been reading the manual but I havnt found the answer im looking for, I have a couple of questions very nooby so bare with me, I dont really know how and when to apply swing, do you apply it before you lay a track down so it can be applied to the quantization as you play the notes in, because the option for swing did nt appear until i had laid a few beats down, and when i chose the swing, i could nt make out if it had actually done anything to my track or not. I hope this makes sense. Thanks

junqueira

Re: using swing

Post by junqueira » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 pm

locket wrote:hi, just got ableton and wondered if you could help me, im just trying to teach myself about swing and drum programmiing, I have been reading the manual but I havnt found the answer im looking for, I have a couple of questions very nooby so bare with me, I dont really know how and when to apply swing, do you apply it before you lay a track down so it can be applied to the quantization as you play the notes in, because the option for swing did nt appear until i had laid a few beats down, and when i chose the swing, i could nt make out if it had actually done anything to my track or not. I hope this makes sense. Thanks
I also have this problem...I have watched videos and everything, but have never got it working properly

locket

Post by locket » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Well hopefully we will both learn something today.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 pm

'Groove' you mean?

In your clip view you have the groove selector which opens up the groove pool for you to select one. Select one and then playand learn what each parameter does, works pretty nicely actually.

The on that throws is the random setting because it is easy to imagioe that it adds humanisation, but it doesnt. as the manual says it applies random groove to every voice in the clip. So if it is a full drum kit, it sounds like a child is playing...badly. but stick it on a shaker pattern and oh yes, it sounds a bit more human.

Dont forget that also you need to actually have something occuring on the beats that will be 'swung' for the effect to be audible, dial in a 16ths pattern hi hat and choose a 16ths swing groove setting and you'll see what I mean.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:11 pm

swing can only be applied to info that has already been laid down.

swing works better on drum hits that are shorter in decay time.

draw in a midi beat.....apply a groove to that beat....press commit.

you should see the effect it had by where the midi notes moved too

if you can't see what it did....hit commit a few times just to see how it is effecting the notes.

other than that you just gotta experiment with what sound you like.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:12 pm

You can't use swing settings while recording that I'm aware of. You can however set your record quantization resolution prior to recording if you'd like. To initialize the swing you have to first open up the groove pool which is done by clicking the little icon on the left in arrangement view that looks like waves then drop a groove preset from your browser into the groove pool. You then have to go to the clip or instrument's edit section by double clicking the clip then you should see a drop down for groove presets that are in the groove pool. Select the one you dropped in. Then hit the commit button and there you go.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

locket

Post by locket » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks everyone for clearing that up, i can see the notes moving now so thanks.