iPhone/iPod as usb drive for audio files, on guest pc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

iPhone/iPod as usb drive for audio files, on guest pc

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 am

Hi, I cant seem to figure out how to add a wav file to my iPod (iPhone) on a second computer.
Ive installed iTunes, but when I try to drag and drop the file into iTunes internal iPhone/iPad library, nothing happens. The iPhone loads in iTunes, and I can brows and play its containing audio files. Drag n drop works fine on the other computer, where I first installed iTunes for the iPhone.

Might be that im tired, its late night. But I need to bring this completely fine 24bit 44.1 khz, 8 min audio file to my work tomorow morning. Help?

iThanks!

hauselektriq

Re: iPhone/iPod as usb drive for audio files, on guest pc

Post by hauselektriq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 am

You can only add to you what you want to play with your iPod using a single host computer (yours). This is a built in feature/annoyance of iTunes. There is a program called 'poddox' that gets around this but is only compatible with iPods built before the iPhone/iTouch. Any iPod/iPhone can be used as a USB drive if the feature is enable in iTunes. As I recall, this can be enabled in the summary or info tab in iTunes by clicking the check box next to 'Enable USB drive mode'. Drag and drop the file onto the iPhone via 'USB drive mode' from whatever computer the file is currently on. Then plug the iPhone into your computer and drag the file to the desktop or wherever you keep your music. Drag it from there into iTunes. Sync. Then it should be listenable on the iPhone. I have had to do this numerous times with different iPods and a few times with my iPhone. iTunes is made this way so multiple computers can't share the same account aside from authorization switching. It's a piss system for consumers though.
Aspire 4730Z, 4GB DDR2, Win7 x64, Live 8.2.1, Traktor Scratch Pro, MPK49, Launchpad, nanopad, nanokey, nanokontrol, Audiobox, SM57, SM58b

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

hauselektriq wrote:You can only add to you what you want to play with your iPod using a single host computer (yours). This is a built in feature/annoyance of iTunes. There is a program called 'poddox' that gets around this but is only compatible with iPods built before the iPhone/iTouch. Any iPod/iPhone can be used as a USB drive if the feature is enable in iTunes. As I recall, this can be enabled in the summary or info tab in iTunes by clicking the check box next to 'Enable USB drive mode'. Drag and drop the file onto the iPhone via 'USB drive mode' from whatever computer the file is currently on. Then plug the iPhone into your computer and drag the file to the desktop or wherever you keep your music. Drag it from there into iTunes. Sync. Then it should be listenable on the iPhone. I have had to do this numerous times with different iPods and a few times with my iPhone. iTunes is made this way so multiple computers can't share the same account aside from authorization switching. It's a piss system for consumers though.
I can't believe they got away with that and are still so successful.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 am

Silly.. Thanks.
Are there any optional audio players that can bypass iTunes? I have Touch DJ, but its a bit slow loading, and only acsepts mp3s.

hauselektriq

Post by hauselektriq » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:19 am

ze2be wrote:Silly.. Thanks.
Are there any optional audio players that can bypass iTunes? I have Touch DJ, but its a bit slow loading, and only acsepts mp3s.
There are none that function properly. You can use a program called 'Formta Factory' to convert a number of things to mp3, FLAC, aac, etc. Just google it and you should find it.
Aspire 4730Z, 4GB DDR2, Win7 x64, Live 8.2.1, Traktor Scratch Pro, MPK49, Launchpad, nanopad, nanokey, nanokontrol, Audiobox, SM57, SM58b

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 am

I have used Floola to load MP3 onto an iPod with satisfactory results. Basically just get yourself another audio player with USB connection. Actually almost every single player on the market lets you do what the iPod won't, for a fraction of the price.

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 am

Simbosan wrote:I have used Floola to load MP3 onto an iPod with satisfactory results. Basically just get yourself another audio player with USB connection. Actually almost every single player on the market lets you do what the iPod won't, for a fraction of the price.

S
Yes.. Its just to silly that files can only be copied from one unike computer, to this mini computer. How is that flexible in any way. I have 2 computers: laptop and desktop. Each with dual boot: studio/live only without net, and with net. Ive got some heavy virus atack on the internet boot thats linked to the iphone. I need to reinstall the OS. With all the work I have this month, its not going to be done in a good while. So in other words, I want be able to copy and bring my music on the iphone for a good while.

What about NanoStudio and NanoSync, does it care if it exists on multiple boots? I dont think so. There should be alternative 3rd party players that could do this.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am

hauselektriq wrote:You can only add to you what you want to play with your iPod using a single host computer (yours). This is a built in feature/annoyance of iTunes. There is a program called 'poddox' that gets around this but is only compatible with iPods built before the iPhone/iTouch. Any iPod/iPhone can be used as a USB drive if the feature is enable in iTunes. As I recall, this can be enabled in the summary or info tab in iTunes by clicking the check box next to 'Enable USB drive mode'. Drag and drop the file onto the iPhone via 'USB drive mode' from whatever computer the file is currently on. Then plug the iPhone into your computer and drag the file to the desktop or wherever you keep your music.
Thanks for that! Its better then nothing. But I can still not listen to the music atm.

This is a good reason to chose an androide smart phone or pad, over an iOS device.