Opinions on quality of the instrument samples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
megzie

Opinions on quality of the instrument samples

Post by megzie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi everyone.

So I just purchased Live Suite last week and immediately started using the DL version. I expected to be very satisfied with the quality of the samples, but I have found that even through headphones the electric key patches were not what I had anticipated.

I had expected there to be sweet sounding rhodes, nice wurlizter, funky keyboard, etc. amongst the factory loaded samples, samples that sound good through headphones without tweeking. I found the electric key patches to be rather harsh and punchy.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Am I missing something? Is it just that these patches require tweaking? I can understand them needed some tweaking to get it sounding good through your particular amp or monitors, but since I was using headphones, I thought they would sound good as is.

thanks, i appreciate your feedback

MonsieurBon

Re: Opinions on quality of the instrument samples

Post by MonsieurBon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 pm

I have been underwhelmed with most of the instrument samples and wish I had spent the money on NI's Komplete rather than upgrading to Live Suite.

necho

Post by necho » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 pm

I reckon you want to take a look at Kontakt. The library is good, and there are loads of quality third-party libraries.
_________
sigs suck.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 pm

The live library has a very raw feel to some of the presets. I know what you are saying about the sharpness, but it has it's uses. For me they seem to come alive when I'm mixing w/ other tracks

megzie

Post by megzie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. Def helps me understand what I'm gonna need, cuz my primary goal is playing keys live. Originally I was gonna get komplete 7 since I already hav Logic studio, but I opted for Ableton instead bc everyone raves about its capabilities for production and live use. The thing about Komplete 7 is that it's so huge, it's almost too big (dont wanna overwhelm my laptop). It still seems like Komplete 7 is the way to go AFA getting the most bang for your buck.

Does anyone know if you get komplete 7, if there are ways to install only some of the software to your hard drive?

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:52 am

megzie wrote: Does anyone know if you get komplete 7, if there are ways to install only some of the software to your hard drive?
You do not have to install all 90GB of samples. Although if you do, be prepared to spent some 12 hours installing it! :)

I bought Komplete 7, and it's awesome. But if your main machine is a laptop, you might run into some memory issue in trying to load a Kontakt instance in Live. I really can't speak to memory usage of a Kontakt VST vs. an Ableton Live preset, but I'd be surprised if Kontakt was slimmer than internal Ableton stuff.

Have you tried slapping a little reverb on some of the keys presets in Live? Maybe a little velocity compression?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 am

btw, the electric pianos addons for Pianoteq are really nice sounding, and great to play...

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 am

I think Suite is a waste of money myself, but if your primary focus is playing keys live then I don't know if you need Komplete. I would either do as fishmonkey suggests and look at Pianoteq with the Epiano add on or get the Scarbee Vintage Keys set from NI. I have both Pianoteq and Scarbee. Pianoteq weighs next to nothing as it's modelled, but Scarbee sounds better.
Image Image

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 am

megzie wrote:Hi everyone.

So I just purchased Live Suite last week and immediately started using the DL version. I expected to be very satisfied with the quality of the samples, but I have found that even through headphones the electric key patches were not what I had anticipated.

I had expected there to be sweet sounding rhodes, nice wurlizter, funky keyboard, etc. amongst the factory loaded samples, samples that sound good through headphones without tweeking. I found the electric key patches to be rather harsh and punchy.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Am I missing something? Is it just that these patches require tweaking? I can understand them needed some tweaking to get it sounding good through your particular amp or monitors, but since I was using headphones, I thought they would sound good as is.

thanks, i appreciate your feedback
Why would you play the sampled keyboards if you have the Suite? Play Electric! Its LoungeLizard in a different jacket.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am

polyslax wrote:I think Suite is a waste of money myself
yep. figured as well, lately. was tempted by the < 200EUR upgrade price but it's indeed a little bit disappointing.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 am

hoffman2k wrote:Why would you play the sampled keyboards if you have the Suite? Play Electric! Its LoungeLizard in a different jacket.
Oh sure, if you want to be all logical 'n' everything! ;)

hoffman is way correct. You've already got quite a decent modelled epiano in your toolkit. No need to lay out more $.
Image Image

necho

Post by necho » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 am

but if your serious about keys and you don't want to fill up your hard drive, there's only one way to go:

http://www.pianoteq.com/

piano, electric pianos, clavinet, xylophones, vibes etc....

not cheap, but totally awesome.
_________
sigs suck.