Save the laptop from sub bass vibration?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
basskillaversus

Save the laptop from sub bass vibration?

Post by basskillaversus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 am

I have problem with my computer with large sound system in the last time,the sub bass was make some clicks,glitches and short silence in my music.Do U known any stuff to cancelling my problem?

I've seen in videos that some DJs have a feet that anti-vibrate the laptop while they are mixing; i've seen the same feet in Speedy J, Richie Hawtin and Chris Liebing laptop; anyone knows what is the brand or name of these feet?
I think its solve my,and everyone's problem who meet with this situation.

Thanx

dualmono

Re: Save the laptop from sub bass vibration?

Post by dualmono » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

...clicks,glitches and short silence...
In my opinion that could be anything, from a cold solder joint in a hardware part of your setup to a wrong buffer setting itb.
I'm no pro, but I think those dampening pads are used to protect for example the harddrives mechanical parts from being physically influenced by decoupling the laptop from a surface which is getting shaked by for example subbass.

I think, if a harddrive is under the influence of bass shaking it wouldn't result in clicks, glitches and short silence, but it would plainly die. So no intermitted audio, but dead for good; think the harddrives heads scratch the platters.

Of course short silence could mean the SMS has been activated, but I don't know for how long the SMS really parks the hard drives heads and if it can be perceived as 'short silence'.
Either way, if the SMS activates, there is a reason for it, and you are correct in getting the dampening pads.

I advise to check for loose audio connections in your hardware setup and disabling the SMS to find the reason for the dropouts.

Double check your buffer settings and make sure everything would run as intended in a live situation (simulate as good as you can, including every external hardware you use on stage and let the laptop run for as long as your gig would take under cpu load).

If its definitely the SMS then there are all kinds of dampening gadgets:

-> hemispheres: http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM110706.htm

Also there is the cooling issue solved here:
http://www.bluelounge.com/products/coolfeet/

Think about buying a SSD for your laptop. The result will be a faster system and vibration proof hard drive.

If you want the exact same feet, check the artists website. Either there is a forum where you could ask for information about their equipment, or you can easily find out with whom they have an endorsement contract (look at their equipment list) and check the manufacturers website.

For all we know, we could be looking at the innards of tennis balls painted black on these photos. Easy to do yourself.

Cheers,
dualmono

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 am

you could ask on a forum, and hunt down a bunch of pictures of people using them, and then get all manner of speculation as to what they are, or where to get them, or conversely, you could type "rubber laptop vibration isolators" which is probably the simplest way to describe these things, and get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Rubber ... dbs_misc_1
thus saving the time involved in waiting for a response from an informed source.
The internets, they are amazing!

dualmono

Post by dualmono » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 am

Or he could check out the artists websites and maybe ask the reliablest source, for the awesome internets tells us,
he already found the amazons but thinks they are not the same. ;D

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 am

Hawtin has 1210s with the top cover in his rider just to place his laptop on them

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 am

so is he obsessed with getting what speedy j uses? or does he just want rubber pads to isolate vibrations, because I'm pretty sure those things will do exactly what he is trying to do, certainly easier to just duplicate a topic though I guess than buy some rather inexpensive items off amazon and find out if they do what you want or not.

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 am

MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Another ultra-cheap solution: the vibration reducing feet you put under washing machines, centrifuges et cetera. About ten euro for four feet.
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

karl schloch

Post by karl schloch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:28 pm

I use half tennis balls and what you see on the photos is exactly that.
inside a tennis ball is a black rubber ball that you can cut into two pieces