Dear Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
artworks

Dear Ableton

Post by artworks » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Sometime ago you announced a moratorium on the development of new features in favour of a definitively stable and more or less bug free edition. How are you progressing with this version and when can we expect you to release it?

fisto

Re: Dear Ableton

Post by fisto » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 pm

+1

also would like to know this. Especially as the current beta has been online for over 2 months now and still no update.
If I'm correct it's the longest beta considering the small amount of changes made.

So what's up abes. At least any info on something would be cool.
How is it going with live 9?

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Live 9 - Only Ableton know!

But let us guess... just because it's fun!

With current market conditions, both pro tools and Cakewalk releasing new versions with new features and a lower price (and size of box in the case of Cakewalk). I’d say Live 9 is going to have to have something special up it’s sleeve to tempt people so…

I’m going for Late Summer 2011!

Migra

Post by Migra » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:57 pm

I'd like to know even a close date for Live 9 Beta, even a '4th Qt 2011' or something, and some news on what can we expect... honestly this situation it's becoming disappointing, Live rocks but on this side as a user is disappointing the fact of no news, what's coming, etc. (we feel kind of ignored), hopefully this situation changes on this year for good :roll:
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

ourapollo

Post by ourapollo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm

I hope they're working on the Share feature...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Dear artworks,

Shit! We totally forgot about this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll get right back to working on this on Monday.

Regards,

Ableton HQ

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:24 pm

after almost a decade of pretty much yearly releases ableton users are finally experiencing a more industry standard cycle of updates...(~2 years)

this is normal for the other DAWs!

Migra

Post by Migra » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:07 pm

| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:11 am

Migra wrote:I'd like to know even a close date for Live 9 Beta, even a '4th Qt 2011' or something, and some news on what can we expect... honestly this situation it's becoming disappointing, Live rocks but on this side as a user is disappointing the fact of no news, what's coming, etc. (we feel kind of ignored), hopefully this situation changes on this year for good :roll:
so you are looking forward to shelling out update money for 9 when 8 is still in beta?
i dont fancy paying for betas at all, but since i did i expect a stable version with the bugs fixed and the features it sold with implemented, before considering to shell out money for an update.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 am

Sorry to say but there's never going to be a DAW on the market that's stable for EVERYONE. I mean read Steinberg's, Cakewalk's or Avid's forums. There are many threads with the topic "why did they release v.X when the v.X-1 wasn't bug free..."

That's computer music for you.

Cheers!
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

morbid

Post by morbid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:44 am

Live 6.0.11 is nice

When you all buy 9 I might make the leap to 7.0.18

artworks

Post by artworks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I sent a separate email to Ableton to which they replied that, of course, the process of maintaining quality is on going. Nevertheless, I've included my reply to Ableton here for the sake of discussion.

Thank you for your reply. I can see that from re-reading the original post on quality (below) I have misunderstood it's intent and now understand that what you were announcing was a re-focus on quality/stability over features. I can also see that this is an on-going process. However, your statement below suggests a time during which all work on new features would cease while you fixed problems. It does suggest a point at which such problems would be resolved and feature development work would resume. I take it that this time has come and gone and I was interested to know which iteration of Live embodied such a resumption. The very best. A

"Dear Ableton users,

Some of you have experienced and reported problems with Live 8 several months ago that we have still failed to fix. This is both painful and necessary for us to discuss. We owe you sincere apologies, as well as an explanation and outlook for the future.

Ableton values quality over innovation. Our engineers will stop whatever they are doing to fix a bug when they become aware of it. They must, however, rely on a process that prepares the incoming information and funnels it to them appropriately. Establishing and maintaining this process is the responsibility of management -- particularly us, Bernd and Gerhard -- and this is where things have gone wrong while we let our attention divert to ambitious new projects.

Our apologies also extend to both the Ableton developers and tech support colleagues because they want to be proud of software and service that users love.

We have now decided to:

• suspend all development towards new features while the whole team joins forces to address the current issues. This effort is open ended and will result in a free Live 8 update;
• make process changes to prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

We hope this plan finds your understanding and agreement. We'd like to wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2010!

Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO"

zee verkawound

Post by zee verkawound » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Sounds like typical corporate BS to me. Looks and reads more like a general form letter than a real response but I could be wrong. Bottom Line: When Ableton announces that Live 8 is 64bit capable it will be stable. Until then, crash, crash...you guessed it, 1.6 gigs or ram...CRASH!!!!

There seems to be just one four letter word missing from the Ableton's present professional resolve. Real.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:04 pm

What makes you think 64bit will be more stable? I'm a professional software architect and frankly that statement has no basis in reality....
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:27 pm

You mean http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... start.html

(the one you gave gets a 404)

I might actually go for this upgrade - I skipped the v5 update, so V4 to V6 actaully seems like a decent step up in tools for the money and it will will buy me some time - maybe Live is slowly going to start going the way of Reason - too little too late etc...?
Nothing to see here - move along!