BT's Stutter Edit is out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: BT's Stutter Edit is out

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 am

icedsushi wrote:bt & his music are cool but does the plugin GUI really need his name stamped on it? Don't know about having a particular artist's brand in the back of my mental space every time I open a plugin when I'm trying to clear my mind & get in the zone.
Well he did design it. It's like having a rob papen plug-in. Rob Papen also works with others for the actual coding (like linplug or contretefx)
Professional Shark Jumper.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 am

Yeah that's true, I guess it's just that if I'd go & open a Rob Papen plugin I wouldn't have Rob Papen music replaying in back of my head :lol: Maybe I need to listen to more of Rob Papen's music so that can happen.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:26 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:The usefulness of this may largely come down to cpu usage.
Kicking around somewhere someone posted quite a nice APC Live DJ template set with a whole load of fx per track including beatmashers on you deck tracks and some aux fx track with automation clips for doing button-press beatmash pattterns etc. Out of interest had a look at it - seeems mostly made up from library patches, some of tarekiths stuff and some other odds and sods - not particular CPU heavy (though minimal Cpu use on this machine might still completely kill an average MBP).

About the only thing I couldnt do conveniently via knob tweakage was stuttering reverse samples - ok - so loading up a delay with a reverse capability will soon solve that one.

Someone mentioned NI Finger - as I recently got Komplete 7 and still havnt delved into thatt much - yes - quite posible. Also the atomizer stuff on via virus TI does alot of this kind of thing too.

Very definately nothing new here - how long have people been doing similar with out of box fx in live (I dont even know which version of live got the beatmasher)?
There are loads of M4L patches around you can download for free to do this too.

All in all - it just seems such a cynical me-too rip-off type cash-in on what I thought might have been a trendy thing from several years ago now but these days is allready done to death, but can be nice when subtley and sparsely applied.
Last edited by Khazul on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 am

Haven't tried the demo yet, but listened to the audio demos, eh I dunno.

I used to use Heizenbox to do this kind of stuff which might in some ways have been better than this one from what the audio demos sound like at least. But the developer stopped & it eventually became unstable. Always had it in the back of my mind to replace it with something else quicker than chopping stuff up & editing or automating on the arrange page. Beat repeat is nice in it's own right but not quite as intricate. Not sure if this is the answer though. I'm going to check around the MFL user group. I'm new to MFL, where is the MFL user patch sharing site if you don't mind me asking?

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:04 am

I love these auto glitch/stutter things. I'd pay handsomely for dbGlitch on a mac. I don't care how creative it is. It's fun!

So I was already to defend this plugin. For example, it's true that you can do all of that with Ableton Live but for tape stop/reverser you'd also need Max for Live. Then I watched the promo videos...

wow, those are the worse attempts to sell a plugin I've ever seen from a vendor. 4 videos of someone occasionally hitting a key that does little more than a beat repeat (sometimes with pitch decay)? That was the most uninspiring marketing I've ever seen. And for that price?

wow. fail.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 am

icedsushi wrote:I'm new to MFL, where is the MFL user patch sharing site if you don't mind me asking?
http://www.maxforlive.com/ is what you're looking for.

If you're looking specifically for sample glitch plugins, check here: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index.php?tag=glitch

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:42 am

Ableton_David wrote:
icedsushi wrote:I'm new to MFL, where is the MFL user patch sharing site if you don't mind me asking?
http://www.maxforlive.com/ is what you're looking for.

If you're looking specifically for sample glitch plugins, check here: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index.php?tag=glitch
btw the best glitch max for live device I've seen is not actually on maxforlive.com.

check out WIFE SEQ FX on www.beatwife.com
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 am

I don't have max4live, so I can't make any kind of comparison here, but StutterEdit is pretty cool. The Finger is pretty good, and I have been using it a lot in my setup, but the tweakability of Stutter Edit is just ridiculous. Try the demo, it's fully functional for 10 days and hog about 8% of my 2006 white macbook. I just got lost for about a half hour tweaking this thing. Still, the price is a bit much.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:15 am

Wow, awesome! Now more people can sound the same and produce crap music and then think it makes up for it by chopping it up in random ways, and now with no effort even.

I'll be surprised if anybody can even give their "music" they make with this away for free.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 am

Congrats BT. Brilliant.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 am

anyone who can't build their own computer from a spool of wire obviously is not qualified to make electronic music

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:56 am

:lol: but once done building the computer from a spool of wire, they obviously become obsolete because one of the main purpose of the computer is it's designed to automate repetitive motions that could be done by qualified humans.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 am

except boning

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:20 am

icedsushi wrote:Supatrigga
its free and really cool, also checkout livecut.

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/

peace&sun
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 am

...what's the rush here?

Sugabytes plug ins are doing THIS for years......artillery is way more flexible in sounddesign and glitchy bitchy stuff....effektrix is way more precisely.....both do the same shit as stutter edit for half price.....

And glitch is still sexy.....but also brutally 90ties....face it...this product comes 5 years too late to rock.....

And before any of you spent 250 bucks on this....go and get max for live.....better investment...same procedure....and way beyond.....