Eh, new beta?

digid

Eh, new beta?

Post by digid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:32 pm

8.2.2b1 has soon been out for a couple of months already. That's a bit of a beta record, I think. ;)

Any chance of a new one?
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

kabelton

Re: Eh, new beta?

Post by kabelton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:38 am

...perhaps ableton is dead...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 am

Or perhaps half of them are getting a tan in Anaheim :wink:

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:07 am

that looks like a record indeed. perhaps they closed their business for making music.
hoffman2k wrote:Or perhaps half of them are getting a tan in Anaheim :wink:
lol
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

ark

Post by ark » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 pm

They have a big sale on through January 15. I would not be at all surprised to see a major product announcement on Monday, January 17.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 am

Hello,

We are working on building a new Live 8 beta. I can't commit yet on the date though.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 pm

It does seem unusual for a beta to be out for two full months already without an update.

I can only figure that something is holding up the next beta (or release) and speculate about what that might be.

I note that both Ableton and Cycling'74 are having sales that end in a few days. It seems plausible that (a) one or both companies has a major new release or feature coming out after the sale ends, and (b) the next beta will depend on that release or feature in some way.

So, for example, suppose that Cycling'74 is about to release Max 5.2, which they intend to be a paid upgrade. Suppose that the next Live beta depends on a feature of Max that won't be released until 5.2. These two suppositions together would be enough to explain the delay.

If I'm right, we'll know soon.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm

ark wrote:It does seem unusual for a beta to be out for two full months already without an update.

I can only figure that something is holding up the next beta (or release) and speculate about what that might be.

I note that both Ableton and Cycling'74 are having sales that end in a few days. It seems plausible that (a) one or both companies has a major new release or feature coming out after the sale ends, and (b) the next beta will depend on that release or feature in some way.

So, for example, suppose that Cycling'74 is about to release Max 5.2, which they intend to be a paid upgrade. Suppose that the next Live beta depends on a feature of Max that won't be released until 5.2. These two suppositions together would be enough to explain the delay.

If I'm right, we'll know soon.
How is 5.2 going to be a paid update? Is there any mention of upcoming features?

ark

Post by ark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:36 pm

hoffman2k wrote:How is 5.2 going to be a paid update? Is there any mention of upcoming features?
It's the easiest explanation for why Cycling'74 would wait until after their sale ends to release it.

Of course another possible explanation is that they have a bunch of CDs that they want to get out of their warehouse before they start shippiong the new ones.

The nice thing about speculation is that it doesn't have to be right :-)

digid

Post by digid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 pm

A sale in January isn't exactly unusual. I don't think we should read too much into it.
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

stefan-tiedje

Post by stefan-tiedje » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 am

ark wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:How is 5.2 going to be a paid update? Is there any mention of upcoming features?
It's the easiest explanation for why Cycling'74 would wait until after their sale ends to release it.
Of course another possible explanation is that they have a bunch of CDs that they want to get out of their warehouse before they start shippiong the new ones.
You don't know c74 very well it seems...;-)
For me these rules had been always true:
Paid updates are usually in increments of at least 0.5. Unlikely that 5.2 would fit that (unverified) rule...
It has always been the rule as well, that a paid upgrade would be free for those who purchased the older version within a certain timespan before the release. Business is not a reason for an hold back for fair companies like c74...
c74 does sell its software mainly as download. I don't have figures, but I guess more than 95% do not come as a packaged version. Those are only necessary for some way behind universities and/or individuals which require something to hold in the hands to make a purchase (its more costly without benefit as well...)

In my almost 20 years of Maxin' I have only seen copy protected floppy discs, which came also with printed manuals. I still have an old black manual for some 2.x version of Max and a bookish 3.x manual with 3.5 addendum and "getting started".
If anybody wants to put some historical material in the bookshelf, make an offer, I am willing to get rid of it...
(If you need an old G3 Macintosh in addition to it, my old Sonic Solutions with such a G3 is for sale as well on e bay, I am happy now with the Macintosh emulators for old gear, my old Quadra 900 setup in Basilisk II is the fastest booting Apple computer I ever had (about 1 second...;-))

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

Pyro Z

Post by Pyro Z » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:46 am

Whatever it is, it is definitely strange.

What happened to Ableton? lol

Maybe they had a massive party for New Years and drank a little bit too much.

Or maybe they got sucked into the Reality Distortion Field.

These are the questions that must be answered.
There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Pyro Z wrote: Or maybe they got sucked into the Reality Distortion Field.
Yup - that's the one.

digid

Post by digid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Strange to think it's just about two years since Live 8 was announced.

Still no sight of new beta, still no sight of Live 9. This could be a long one.