Monitor Size

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkH

Monitor Size

Post by MarkH » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

I was thinking about selling my Apple 23" Cinema Display and buying the Apple 27" display, but I'm not sure if:

1) If the glossy screen is going to be a nightmare. I paid an extra $50 when I bought my 17" MBP to have the non-glare display.

2) With a program like Live and it's ergonomic GUI, is there really a HUGE benefit going to the higher resolution offered on the 27" display?

One thing I do like about my 17" MBP and Cinema display is whether I'm using Ableton at home or on the road, the screen resolution is consistent between sessions (1920x1200). Not sure it's that big a deal. I was at Fry's Electronics messing around on the 27" and thought, hmmm, this *could* be nice.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

8TROW8

Re: Monitor Size

Post by 8TROW8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 am

I noticed the new 27" displays on the apple store recently they seem abit pricey though around £900 I believe, funny this is there made by dell and the dell 27" is a fair bit cheaper!

Anyway just a thought if your forking out all that money for a screen you should look at the 27" iMac, I know it might not be what your looking for but for an extra hundered or so your getting a whole seperate mac.

How is the non-glare display for you?

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Dell 30", nearly half the price, 5 year warranty, usb hub, card reader built-in. Easy choice.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I've had the exact same display (the 23" Cinema, matte) for many years.

A couple months ago I thought I'd try for the bigger display so I bought the Apple 27" that they have now. Loved it in the store, I even measured it out for my desk space & weighed the pros/cons of having the glossy. But when I got it home, it was TOO BIG. And the glossy screen ended up driving me nuts, seeing my reflection all the time. I thought I'd get used to the glossy because I had a glossy Macbook at one time but it's much more natural to reposition a laptop than a desktop screen. A laptop screen you can just move to a different area or flick the lid. If you tilt or reposition the desktop screen too much it can become less ergonomic.

Another thing with the 27" they have now is that the resolution is higher which sounds great but all the items are going to be smaller on the screen. Loading a live set over the whole screen with 12 tracks & 4 sends with the browser open put a big blank space right in the middle of the screen where I look naturally. Maybe for someone who runs 20-30 tracks it's OK & you'd have something in the center of the screen to look at. So I ended up constantly turning my head to look at the left & right sides of the screen a lot more than looking at the center. Seemed silly to crop the Live window & float it to the center of the screen, having the desktop in the background just to have my tracks in the center.

It also slowed my workflow a little because of the distance mousing from the longer distance from let's say the browser to the master channel and back again. I couldn't zip around on the Live GUI as quick as I had before.

All these things added up to that it drove me insane, so I returned it & paid the $100 restocking fee. I tried the 24" too, got one off eBay since they don't make them anymore. The screen size was a lot more manageable & larger resolution perfect for Live & plugins. But I just couldn't cope with the glossy of that either, so I put it back on eBay. :cry: OMG, it was display nightmare for me the past month.

Luckily, I sold my old 23" Cinema matte to a friend, she was holding onto it hadn't used it yet & she let me buy it back! So I got a DVI to MIniDisplay port adapted to run with it. I'm so relieved & feel more productive again!

It is nice to have the same 1920X1200 resolution on both laptop display & desktop display which I really took for granted so it's nice to have that back again. Another time saver, not switching back & forth mentally or having to bother constantly resizing the window/hiding unhiding things. Another thing is they dropped the Firewire hub from the new displays. Don't do it!

jamief

Post by jamief » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:55 pm

I had 3 x 24 inch samsungs with live stretched across all three. Just upgraded them to to 2 x 40 inch smasung LCd 1080
. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:16 pm

icedsushi wrote: Another thing with the 27" they have now is that the resolution is higher which sounds great but all the items are going to be smaller on the screen.
That's one of the things no one thinks about when they want a bigger screen for music production, all the controls get smaller as the resolution goes up. You think Live is bad, trying playing with Sculpture or ES2 in Logic on a 27". I want one really bad as they seem really nice, but seems dumb to get a $1k display and then force a lower resolution on it.

I have a few friends and clients who use LCD TV's for their studio monitors, merely because you can get a larger size with less resolution for cheaper.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Tarekith wrote:
icedsushi wrote: Another thing with the 27" they have now is that the resolution is higher which sounds great but all the items are going to be smaller on the screen.
That's one of the things no one thinks about when they want a bigger screen for music production, all the controls get smaller as the resolution goes up. You think Live is bad, trying playing with Sculpture or ES2 in Logic on a 27". I want one really bad as they seem really nice, but seems dumb to get a $1k display and then force a lower resolution on it.

I have a few friends and clients who use LCD TV's for their studio monitors, merely because you can get a larger size with less resolution for cheaper.
I assume you're talking just about 3rd party plugins right (given Live's zoom display function)? What about changing the screen resolution in your OS's system preferences to make everything bigger? Or does that degrade the quality too much, not running at a native resolution? I am curious about this issue as I am considering going to 27" from 24".

jamief

Post by jamief » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 pm

cabletone wrote:
Tarekith wrote:

I assume you're talking just about 3rd party plugins right (given Live's zoom display function)? What about changing the screen resolution in your OS's system preferences to make everything bigger? Or does that degrade the quality too much, not running at a native resolution? I am curious about this issue as I am considering going to 27" from 24".
you need 1080 minium

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Using OSX system prefs to reduce the resolution will make everything bigger, Live and the 3rd party plugins. But it degrades the picture quality too much IMO & defeats the purpose of having a nice display with good sharp images.

Using Live's zoom feature is a lot better to blow up Live & still have it look good but doesn't help you on the 3rd party plugins that will remain smaller than before. So there's a compromise with the objects on your screen either way. Screen resolutions have been increasing yet the GUI's of these plugins haven't changed to compensate for it. So the result is you've got to move your face closer to a bigger display & move your head around which is the opposite of what you should be doing. The bigger the display the further back you should view it from. Things are still in transition (for music plugins at least) where everything doesn't match right now, I think.

It's best to keep everything at native resolution & just buy the display that has the size & resolution combination you like IMO. For me I found the sweet spot to be 23" with 1920X1200 resolution.

If you want to go bigger without increasing the resolution & want to stick with the Apple product you could always try to find one of the 30" they used to sell up until last year. That's what I'd recommend to the OP, a 30" Cinema display if you're tempted to go bigger without having to move yourself closer to the screen. Plus they're matte too, not glossy. It would be the exact same resolution & size of objects on the screen that you have, only with more screen real estate.